Ask Simpsons Questions Here (Jokes We Don't Get, Which Episode, etc.)

Could be this scene from "Pokey Mom", though it's Homer instructing Lenny to "go limp".

1MuwLPE.jpg

When the hell does Selma marry Lionel Hutz and Disco Stu? I was doing some quiz and according it to it, they are former husbands of hers. I answered Sideshow Bob, Troy McClure, Abe Simpson and Fat Tony correctly.

They were never married onscreen, I just remember an episode mentioned the marriage with Hutz (I think it was Much Apu About Nothing).

Oh, and we can see Stu divorcing Selma in There's Something About Marriage.

Last edited:
Does anyone knows of the episodes in which the following characters don't have a speaking role?

Marge
Bart
Lisa

There's supposed to be at least one such episode for each of these characters.

Is Gorgeous Grampa the only Selman episode with a couch gag?

Is Gorgeous Grampa the only Selman episode with a couch gag?
episodes show ran by Selman with couch gag includes:

"A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again" - the family are words
"Gorgeous Grampa" - the homer shake one
"The Saga of Carl" - the family are fishes
"The Wreck of the Relationship" - an short story about Scratchy living with the simpsons
"Covercraft" - family are too distracted watching its cellphones
"A Father's Watch" - every pet the family has had is on the couch

Havent check them all but i think this list should be accurate.

In And Maggie Makes Three, Homer is on top of Marge at the beach and says he has sand in his underpants. Marge responds that she does as well and they should go home. Then Homer shovels more sand into his underpants.

I don’t understand this action. Did he think that having sand in his underpants was romantic, and that’s why he put more in after Marge was gone?

I've wondered about that gag too, and have settled on the idea that Homer somehow enjoys it/thinks it's funny.

why do homer say doh

The story (as best I can remember it) goes that Dan Castellaneta's original voice for Homer was more or less a Walter Matthau impersonation, and when frustrated he would make an annoyed grunt that sounded something like "D'oooooh". Dan started replicating this sound but when the show was still in short format it took too much time, so it got shortened to a quick "D'oh!". And the rest, as they say, is history.

I've been watching Super Bowl-related episodes, and noticed how on "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday" when Rupert Murdoch's guards chase after our heroes and they move up and down going "Oy oy oy oy oy oy" really fast. Was that supposed to be some kind of "Three Stooges" reference? (Given how Wally, Homer and Chief Wiggum react and run off in a "Three Stooges"-esque manner after Rupert tells the guards to seize them.)

Hey whats up.

New to the no homers club and forums in general... i've been watching the simpsons for YEARS but never thought to bring my questons online.

#1 question that bugs me, why doesn't Mo recognise Bart's voice EVERY TIME he prank calls him?! Surely he would've caught on after the second call...
also..
how on earth is Matt Groening getting spot on future predictions?

look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Hey whats up.

New to the no homers club and forums in general... i've been watching the simpsons for YEARS but never thought to bring my questons online.

#1 question that bugs me, why doesn't Mo recognise Bart's voice EVERY TIME he prank calls him?! Surely he would've caught on after the second call...
also..

look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Moe hadn't seen Bart since he was a child. This is shown in Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk.

If you make a million predictions, some are bound to be right.

In And Maggie Makes Three, Homer is on top of Marge at the beach and says he has sand in his underpants. Marge responds that she does as well and they should go home. Then Homer shovels more sand into his underpants.

I don’t understand this action. Did he think that having sand in his underpants was romantic, and that’s why he put more in after Marge was gone?

I think it's just a multilayer joke.

Homer says it like it's sexy, even though it's not. (absurdist humor)

Marge shoots him down on the idea and says to go. (bringing it back to realism, making you see how weird the first part was)

Then Homer goes back and gets more. (showing he does like it, which is more absurd.)

I'll give that episode a re watch then maybe it'll make sense!

Also... with the predictions, yeah you're definitely right there but he is literally BANG on with some stuff, like the horse meat scandal episode in 1994.. then 9 years later it actually happened.. so weird.

Cheers for the reply :)

Moe hadn't seen Bart since he was a child. This is shown in Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk.

If you make a million predictions, some are bound to be right.

I'll give that episode a re watch then maybe it'll make sense!

Also... with the predictions, yeah you're definitely right there but he is literally BANG on with some stuff, like the horse meat scandal episode in 1994.. then 9 years later it actually happened.. so weird.

Cheers for the reply :)

In Lisa's Sax, why do they have the story take place in 1990 instead of 1992? The episode came out in 1997 and Bart and Lisa are five years younger in the story about Lisa's saxophone. It just seems odd that they would use a specific year and have it be 1990.

It was originally in production for Season 7, which began in 1995. Had it aired then, that line wouldn't have been a couple of years out of date.

When did Judge Snyder become black? Did they make him black at a certain point or do they randomly make him black or white in a given episode?

When did Judge Snyder become black? Did they make him black at a certain point or do they randomly make him black or white in a given episode?
It looks like "Burns' Heir" was the first time he was depicted as black (https://frinkiac.com/caption/S05E18/845760) and they kept that mostly consistent afterwards, although he's white again in "The Principal and the Pauper" (https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/File:The_Principal_and_the_Pauper_97.JPG). I don't know if there are any other instances of him being white after that.

That's odd. Usually it only tends to happen the once. There's been plenty of characters miscoloured over the series especially the first time they're seen. For instance, Smithers, Sherri and Terri (they got two, yellow with brown hair in the first ep and once or twice in season 3 showed up black with dark blue hair), Lou, Janey (I think. The girl from the second-grade santas in the first ep sounded like her and looked like her from a profile) but that's the first of someone who consistently had a wrong colour like that for several episodes, if it was a wrong colour.

My guess is they either repeatedly got it wrong or just changed to black because... honestly it just looks better that way.

What episode had a flashback where baby Lisa learned to change her own diaper?

I don't recall a scene of that but there is dialogue in Lisa's wedding where Homer states Lisa has been smarter than him ever since she learned to change her own diaper.

Back