Ask Simpsons Questions Here (Jokes We Don't Get, Which Episode, etc.)

Andy

pretty rad
This is now the thread for all Simpsons-related questions on the board.

- If you don't understand a joke in an episode, ask here.
- If you're unsure which episode a certain event happened in, ask here.
- If you don't remember who said a specific quote, ask here.
- If you have any question related to the Simpsons series similar to these, ask here.

Remember to check the FAQ before posting here to make sure your question hasn't already been answered. Also, continuing with the rules of the old Jokes We Don't Get thread: please post questions and answers only, and don't insult anyone for not understanding or knowing certain things.

Ask away!

And just to clarify: because this thread will become very, very large, it will be heavily moderated as well. Any extraneous post is subject to deletion, so please don't post unless it's to ask or answer a question.

'The Springfield Connection' has Soap Opera-ish end music, although there might be another one.

Does anyone know what movie (if any) was parodied in that black and white scene in 'Smart and Smarter' when Lisa is older with heavy make up on and Maggie in a wheel chair?

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? a campy early-60s film starring Joan Crawford and Bette Davis.

I was browsing a directory of Simpsons quotes and came across the following :

Lionel Hutz (to Zombie) : You need an attorney! [Zombie takes a swipe at him] And a breath-mint!

At first, I thought it was from a comic, but there was a link to an audio clip of it. I checked Treehouse Of Horror III, Hutz wasn't in it (nor was any Phil Hartman character for that matter), I couldn't find the quote on SNPP. So can someone shed some light on this and tell me where, if anywhere, the quote is located?

There was a DVD commentary where the closing credits have just begun to appear, and someone says something like, "Most of these people are dead now" and everyone laughs, and a second later Phil Hartman's name comes up and everyone goes silent. Does anyone remember which episode this was?

Oh, another thing I forgot: Which episode is it where Homer is trying to think of the word "conscience" and he calls it (paraphrased) "that voice in your head that sounds a lot like Lisa"?

Hydro said:
Oh, another thing I forgot: Which episode is it where Homer is trying to think of the word "conscience" and he calls it (paraphrased) "that voice in your head that sounds a lot like Lisa"?
Viva Ned Flanders.

I have a question:
In Homer and Apu, when James Woods is cleaning the microwave and he gets bleeped, did he really say those curse words and FOX bleeped it out or was it just a joke?

Hydro said:
There was a DVD commentary where the closing credits have just begun to appear, and someone says something like, "Most of these people are dead now" and everyone laughs, and a second later Phil Hartman's name comes up and everyone goes silent. Does anyone remember which episode this was?

Can someone please answer Hydro's question because I'd like to know this too.

Jokes I don't get, quote I wanted?

In Summer of 4ft2, the holiday house Flanders has is referred to in the town known as America's crudbucket and then Springfield is referred to as America's scraudbasket (Or the other way around). Does this refer to the people or the state of the town. What is scraud?

Also I looked in snpp.com but they didn't have it, its a quote from I think Poppa's got a brand new badge. The one where Homer goes, "Yanno Marge, I have had a lot of jobs over the years..." and then he lists them all when you don't expect him to. :lol: Can someone give me that?

Last edited:
In Summer of 4ft2, the holiday house Flanders has is referred to in the town known as America's crudbucket and then Springfield is referred to as America's scraudbasket (Or the other way around). Does this refer to the people or the state of the town. What is scraud?

The fictional town of Little Pwagmattasquarmsettport is called "America's scrod basket." My dictionary gives "scrod" as meaning "A young cod or haddock, especially one split and boned for cooking as the catch of the day." Which fits, given that it seems to be a fishing town. (As for the state it's in, the town, including its name, is fairly representative of homey resort towns along the northeastern U.S. coast, especially in Maine and Massachusetts.)

Homer lists his jobs as: boxer, mascot, astronaut, imitation Krusty, baby-proofer, trucker, hippie, plow-driver, food critic, conceptual artist, grease salesman, carny, mayor, grifter, bodyguard for the mayor, country-western manager, garbage commissioner, mountain climber, farmer, inventor, Smithers, Poochie, celebrity assistant, power plant worker, fortune cookie writer, beer baron, Kwik-E-Mart clerk, homophobe, and missionary.

Last edited:
dansam said:
Stark Raving Dad, HoyvinGlayvin 64's Ghost (long name!).

No, I don't remember anything concerning GB Sr. at all in the middle of Lisa's birthday, Homer's pink shirt, and Michael Jackson.

it was subsequently omitted from re runs and season 3 dvd. it was at the beginning of the episode, then faded out and stark raving dad started.

I believe that the James Woods cussing was in the original audio track, and just bleeped out by Fox. There was a similar thing with Drederick Tatum cussing in season 3 that was censored, and a few other instances throughout the series.

Last edited:
Does anybody know?

I'm trying to find out in what episode homer and skinner have some sort of secret plan and the keep looking at each other and nodding their heads?

Cosmic Fool said:
I was browsing a directory of Simpsons quotes and came across the following :

Lionel Hutz (to Zombie) : You need an attorney! [Zombie takes a swipe at him] And a breath-mint!

At first, I thought it was from a comic, but there was a link to an audio clip of it. I checked Treehouse Of Horror III, Hutz wasn't in it (nor was any Phil Hartman character for that matter), I couldn't find the quote on SNPP. So can someone shed some light on this and tell me where, if anywhere, the quote is located?

Virtual Springfield CD-ROM, in Springfield Cementary

Which ep is "Now look sad and say d'oh," on?

I thought it was the Cartridge Family, but apparently not...

Hydro said:

Marge vs. the Monorail. The 5th audio choice. I just listened to it a week ago for the first time. I would also like to add that it was Conan O' Brien who said that.

Which episode does Marge say "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night?"

Back