Ask Simpsons Questions Here (Jokes We Don't Get, Which Episode, etc.)

…or bowling alley in the basement floor, his flat on the 1st and bowling alley on the 2nd floor.🤷

Anyway, it's impossible in reality (due to building laws) and probably was just a joke to make Grimes even more misery (while Homer has OWN HOUSE) - every day Grimes tolerate loads above and below:P .

Didn't realize you were asking a question, Flanders thinks Maggie wearing his glasses is adorable and he's lamenting that he doesn't have a camera with which to take a photo of it

One thing I have notice while watching The Simpsons is that the later cel-animated episodes (from around 1999-2002) look different from the earlier cel-animated episodes. They look a lot crisper and more polished, almost to the point where they look the digitally drawn episodes.
Is there any reason why this happened?

Huh, thought I was the only one that noticed that...and yeah, I do wander why, I guess it was the animation crew learning as time went on, similar to how the early HD episodes are different to the modern HD episodes

One thing I have notice while watching The Simpsons is that the later cel-animated episodes (from around 1999-2002) look different from the earlier cel-animated episodes. They look a lot crisper and more polished, almost to the point where they look the digitally drawn episodes.
That's a good question. Apparently, it does look more polished, and the difference you can tell is by the more neon like colors in cel-animation compared to the digital SD episodes. By the way, to answer this question, it looks more polished because the staff wanted to refine the look more before they want to fully transition to digital animation, which doesn't happen until Season 14.

This is just an observation but it shows how great the Simpsons is that this morning i thought about Chief Wiggum's reference to his noodle incident involving a non-female blow-up doll and sank into hysterical laughter...

Maybe it's been asked before, but when Frank Grimes says he lives "above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley" how exactly does that work? Does he live in a building with a bowling alley on the first floor, his apartment on the second floor, and another bowling alley on the third floor for some reason?
Yeah - exactly this. There's no reason why a bowling alley would not only have another bowling ontop of it, but moreso an apartment inbetween them.

edit: why am i replying to a post that's already had another reply on a second page? that's because my emails suck.

Yeah. Mixed-use residential/commercial properties aren't unusual. But how absurd is the idea of a bowling alley not having just apartments on its second floor, but the fact that there's *another* bowling alley above those apartments as well? It's so absurd and makes no sense, that's why it's so funny.

In the Hellfish episode, why do Grampa's pants make a "boi-yoi-yoing" sound when they fall down? It's a funny scene ("Can't you go five seconds without humiliating yourself?" *pants fall down* "How long was that?") but it strikes me as odd that they'd use such a cartoony sound effect in season 7.

In the Hellfish episode, why do Grampa's pants make a "boi-yoi-yoing" sound when they fall down? It's a funny scene ("Can't you go five seconds without humiliating yourself?" *pants fall down* "How long was that?") but it strikes me as odd that they'd use such a cartoony sound effect in season 7.

Probably for comedic effect. Like, not only is having his pants fall down humiliating, but having an overly cartoon "Boing-oing-oing" just adds the cherry on the cake.

I noticed that as well. I don't know how they managed to turn the drawings into videos, maybe they used cameras to photograph every drawing. So maybe they got themselves better cameras and stuff.

^Weird, I noticed that too. Just look at some still images from an episode from season 12 or 13, they do look almost like digital ink and paint. I know that Film Roman was still producing the animation, but I don't know if they had had to contract the work to another team of animators, or all the details of how animation is done behind the scenes.

In "Treehouse of Horror IV", Richard Nixon states that he just wrote an article for Redbook.
What article is he referring to?

Hi:

In the end of "Bartman no More", Patty and Shelma dognap Santa's Little Helper and call Kent Brockman to negotiate with him. However, I don't know if that story continues or not. If it continues, where can I read it?

Thanks in advance

No, there isn't. If I'm right, that problem wasn't depicted at all (the opposite - diarrhea - figured several times)

Hi! I'm breaking my head over this. Please, I'll appreciate any help. There's an episode in which Bart screws things up for a change, and he's talking to Lisa about what he did. The dialogue goes somewhat like this, (I'm paraphrasing):

Bart: "I guess this is what they meant (Homer and Marge, probably) when they said one day I would cause a tragedy".
Lisa: "Nobody said any of that seriously, Bart".

Excuse me again for not writing it down verbatim. I'd like to know in which episode this dialogue takes place, please. Thank you in advance!

It's from Blood Feud.

Probably not verbatim, but it goes a little more like this:

Bart: You always told me I was gonna destroy the family, I just never really believed it.

Lisa: That's okay Bart, nobody really believed it. We were just trying to scare you.

Last edited:
It's from Blood Feud.

Probably not verbatim, but it goes a little more like this:

Bart: You always told me I was gonna destroy the family, I just never really believed it.

Lisa: That's okay Bart, nobody really believed it. We were just trying to scare you.
Thank you so much! Had a hard time trying to figure out the dialog since I've only seen it in the Latam translated version. Thanks again!

The gif is from "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Homer" when Homer runs away after he eats the Guatemala peppers

Back