Ask Simpsons Questions Here (Jokes We Don't Get, Which Episode, etc.)

jasper breaks his beard? i know he gets it trapped in the pencil sharpener in "The PTA Disbands.. unless he breaks it when its frozen in "Lisa Gets An A'

Why didn't the show's first season start in the fall, like most series do?

I'm aware that the network chose to air Simpsons Roasting On an Open Fire as a Christmas special, but did the network intend that to be the first episode of a series? Or were they just going to air the "special," see how it did, and then air the rest of the episodes if it got good ratings?

Fidelio1980 said:
Why didn't the show's first season start in the fall, like most series do?

I'm aware that the network chose to air Simpsons Roasting On an Open Fire as a Christmas special, but did the network intend that to be the first episode of a series? Or were they just going to air the "special," see how it did, and then air the rest of the episodes if it got good ratings?
This story has been told often. Some Enchanted Evening was going to be the first episode and air in the fall. However when it came back from Korea and the animation sucked, the series was pushed back until midseason. All the other episodes where at some stage in production when this event happened. The Christmas Special as it was originally called by Fox was going to be a normal episode but when they pushed back the series premiere and changed it to Bart the Genius, there was a Christmas episode produced and Fox aired it as a special. They could not wait for the ratings because of the long production time that is required in animation

Thirteen episodes over nine months would make a lot of stretching out anyway. Unless they'd start airing 7F episodes during season one, fans may have gotten tired of having to wait sometimes weeks for another new episode (but if I'm correct, they wouldn't have even gotten the 'OK' to produce season 2 until later through season 1, when they saw the episodes were doing well in the ratings).

scottvivian said:
Does anyone know the names of the songs from My Fair Laddy? There are 4 in total - the "adequate" one, "what flows from the nose" one about being indoors all night, and "the shack where I lived" one.
They're probably listed in the credits. I tried to look, but my downloaded copy cuts off before the credits end.

This story has been told often. Some Enchanted Evening was going to be the first episode and air in the fall. However when it came back from Korea and the animation sucked, the series was pushed back until midseason. All the other episodes where at some stage in production when this event happened. The Christmas Special as it was originally called by Fox was going to be a normal episode but when they pushed back the series premiere and changed it to Bart the Genius, there was a Christmas episode produced and Fox aired it as a special. They could not wait for the ratings because of the long production time that is required in animation

Thanks, that explains it. The FAQ tells part of the story, but I never understood why they didn't just air another episode when Some Enchanted Evening came back from Korea with animation problems.

Does anyone know where I could get some/most/all of the Tracey Ullman Simpsons. Somewhere on the web would be nice, but if someone is aware of where else they are, please let me know.

You're better off downloading the DivX codec rather than downloading the shit that is Real Player. The DivX is probably better quality, and Real Player is awful.

Thanks for the info on the Tracey Ullman shorts. I sleep easier at night now that I have seen and have a digital copy of every simpsons episode ever.

Just wondering, what is the highest-rated episode of The Simpsons ever? I would assume it's one from the second or third season, but I can't find ratings info for any non-recent seasons anywhere.

Yeah. It was Bart Gets An 'F'. It had 33 million viewers.

EDIT: No wait. Who Shot Mr. Burns had 46 million viewers. ;)

In which episode was it when Homer sang, "Simpson, Homer Simpson! He's the greatest guy in history... From the town of Springfield, he's about to hit a chestnut tree! D'oh!"

Thank you!

^It was WSMB (Part Two) and it did have 46 million viewers, at least according to Wikipedia. That's odd, I always thought Bart Gets An F held the record. 46m is phenomenal, though - that's like almost 1 in every 5 people in the USA watching the episode and it's double the ratings of the 23m who saw the Superbowl episode last year! :-O

Originally Posted by Simpsons Forever!
46m is phenomenal, though - that's like almost 1 in every 5 people in the USA watching the episode and it's double the ratings of the 23m who saw the Superbowl episode last year!

Thank God there are more people who saw the brilliant sequel to Who Shot Mr. Burns? than the horrific Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass.
::shudders like Ruth Powers after Barney asks if he can throw up in Jittery Joe's bathroom::

In which episode does Troy McLure mention his association with the telethon to save Tony Orlando's house?

Are you talking about the scene in 'Scuse Me While I Miss The Sky when Burns looks up at the stars and sees a dollar sign, and then Cletus looks up and sees the cent sign? Because that's the only thing that comes to my mind.

I'm almost positive this has been answered, but which show featured the gag, "That's a perfectly cromulent word," in response to yet another completely made up word.
Thanks in advance

Back