As the winter is kicking in, which Christmas/Winter episode do you like the best?

Welcome to Moe's

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe
I'm pretty sure I did a similar thread to this last year however there seems to be more interactivity now and some new members so I thought it would be a good idea to have a little conversation about the winter/Christmas type episodes from The Simpsons.

Of course there's been quite a few and they don't have to be specifically Christmas related either, just something with a winter theme that you like and enjoy.

So which winter Simpsons episodes are you looking forward to watching the most as the winter season kicks in?

tumblr-onrko9ok-Bw1uzae1ko1-500.gif

I think it's a bit too early for a thread like this, but I'll still play along.

Aside from the obvious 'Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire' which still holds up, I quite like 'Tis The Fifteenth Season' as it does capture the winter and Christmas feel really well and is an overal fun and enjoyable one even though it's a post-classic episode (though it is after all from one of the strongest later seasons in my opinion). 'Simpsons Christmas Stories' isn't too shabby either, I think.

'Marge Be Not Proud' is really good one, of course, but I don't really get too much of a winter or Christmas feel from it and while 'Miracle On Evergreen Terrace' has a good premise and setup it gets a bit too unpleasant and mean-spirited (even though intentionally does turn the whole stereotypically schmaltzy Christmas ordeal on it's head; I just think they went too far).

Not really, it's only going to be a few weeks and we'll be into the season, sure Winter officially kicks in a few days before Christmas but the whole season is usually starting to gear up in a few weeks or so where it gets cold and has that kinda vibe, well in the UK anyway as by Bonfire Night it's usually pretty winter feeling lol

Anyway, yeah, Simpsons Roasting no doubt is fantastic, still one of my favourite episodes, I think all the winter themed episodes are usually pretty good, you've mentioned some great one's there, another I really love is Mr Plow, we really got to see a side of Barney there we hadn't before hand and I thought that episode was really great :)

I do love this time of year though, nice drinks, cold outside, DVD/Blu Ray on, a good episode of The Simpsons, can't beat it haha :)

Pretty much the same answer. I really like 'Tis the Fifteenth Season. A strong mix of the Christmas spirit and a few dark jokes and situations, without going too far like in Miracle on Evergreen Terrace. I also like Simpsons Christmas Stories, especially the Nutcracker part.

And of course, Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire is an excellent episode that I love more and more throughout viewings.

The best winter-themed episode in my view is probably Mr. Plow. There has never been a truly standout Christmas-themed episode to me, though. Marge Be Not Proud is probably the best, but I’d only give it a B.

Shame on me, I forgot the wonderful Mr. Plow, one of my favorite episodes. Maybe I was too much focused on the Christmas side of the question, haha. It's not a Christmas-themed episode, but a winter-themed one, sure it is.

Miracle on Evergreen Terrace is one of my favorites, but at this point I've simply seen it one too many times. It'll have to be a while before I watch it again.

I enjoy essentially all of the pre-HD winter/Christmas episodes, including Skinner's Sense of Snow, 'Tis the Fifteenth Season, and Simpsons Christmas Stories. I'll probably watch all of those this December.

Skinner’s Sense of Snow, Grift of the Magi, and Miracle on Evergreen Terrace are ones i'll definitely look forward to watching this christmas.

The best winter-themed episode in my view is probably Mr. Plow. There has never been a truly standout Christmas-themed episode to me, though. Marge Be Not Proud is probably the best, but I’d only give it a B.

Yeah, apart from Simpsons Roasting, I've always felt it would be awesome for The Simpsons to do a Christmas special episode, like en extended one to have under their belts which people can watch for years as tradition each year. The episodes are great but they just get lost within the episodes, we need a real stand out special, like an hour long or something with a great story.

A little like the Peanuts Christmas Special, I do feel The Simpsons are missing this and could really bring this also.

wow I cannot pick one for the life of me, I can say that I don't much care for Miracle on Evergreen Terrace or I won't be home for christmas

for the record it may not be too early depending on where you live, it has been snowing off and on on my end of the world.

Yeah, for me I see winter as it gets cold and Christmas season comes up, officially in the UK it's 23rd December or something yet it starts to get really cold before then, Bonfire Night for example (5th November) it's usually really cold (it's usually raining on that day for some reason too lol) but the winter season for me is the colder months and Christmas time, even though technically is is Autumn until that point people start doing all the wintery things before hand as it gets cold such as nights in front of the fire, nice drinks, DVD's on etc.. friends round, all that kinda stuff as well as getting wrapped up, which is a good time to watch a Simpsons winter episode as it gets you in the mood :)

While I think its a little too early to talk episodes set during christmas/winter, I'll go for Holidays of Future Past.

Holidays of Future Passed. I might've picked other choices but I'm not really that much into Christmas festivities.

Instead, I think watching people grow up is more sentimental. The photo album montage tugs on some heart strings.

Shame on me, I forgot the wonderful Mr. Plow, one of my favorite episodes. Maybe I was too much focused on the Christmas side of the question, haha. It's not a Christmas-themed episode, but a winter-themed one, sure it is.

It's one of the best, I agree. It's just that I don't really think of it as an winter episode even though it is set during wintertime, similarily to 'Holidays Of Future Passed' (and it does end with all snow suddenly thawing away which might play a part in that, I dunno).

I know I've said it so many times but I do feel The Simpsons really should do a really good, heartfelt extended Christmas special as opposed to doing the Christmas themed episodes all the time.

As I say, those episodes are great but they do get lost among the episodes and don't really stand out as a Christmas special, an hour long special with a heartfelt ending the team are very capable of doing and doing really well also.

They don't really have this and considering they've covered everything within their 30 years of the show it would be fantastic for them to do this as a good, stand out, Simpsons Christmas Special feature.

It would be something that could be shown on TV or watched every year for years to come, they don't have this and the episodes don't really fill this gap.

Back