Are There Too Many CGI Animated Movies Nowadays?

What do you think?

• Yes; of course.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No, not really.

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

CousinMerl

the original pöpli kid
Global Moderator
Yes or no?

For me, that is a yes. Of course, not all new CGI animated films released these days are bad, but there's definitely too many of them and some of them just comes out as 'alright' (not counting the Pixar movies). It's definitely a shame that 2D animation is nowadays being shunned when it comes to animated movies on the big screen.

Last edited:
It is comparable with the trend in videogames at the end of the 90s when polygons took over from pixels.
2D videogames are still made, but they have become a small part of the market due to lack of interest from the general audience.
Same goes for the animated movie-scene.
But nowadays I worry more about the forced implementation of 3D-effects in each and every CGI-movie thrown on the market.

Stupid question. CG isn't being done because it's a fad. It's being done because it's a way to make visually interesting and engaging animation, which is a valid reason. CG isn't like 3-D, which is a fad and contributes little to nothing to a film

A slightly more reasonable question (though not by a lot) would be "Are there too few cel animated films lately" - I'd still answer no

I just want to clarify this: I don't think there is anything wrong with CGI animated movies, I just wish that there could be more of an equality since as of right now, CGI animated ones are dominating the majority of animated films released.

Also, I don't recall stating that I think that CGI is a fad; 3D on the other hand is, like above poster said.

As good as CGI movies can be, they're also the reason that some people are saying that cel animation is dead. Even some cartoons that are essentially cel animated are using more and more trumped up CGI effects in shows. Witness the new look of Family Guy, for instance. I'm not saying it doesn't look good, I'm just questioning if any of it is really necessary.

You hafta think this: familes want to take their kids so they can be entertained-movies, even though it costs $10-$13 (or depending what time of the day you go see them) provide that sort of entertainment that will keep Junior and Missy quiet and out of Mom and Dad's hair for about 90 minutes.

What the problem is would be storyline and plot: Alpha and Omega, the 3-D movie about a pack of wolves, came and went quickly, whereas a GOOD film such as Toy Story 3, was in theaters all summer.

It'll be interesting how Megamind does when it comes out.

Nothing against CGI animation, I think it's just another way to do things that has happened to become popular because of it being associated to technical advances, computerization and such.

But it's quite obvious that there's a ridiculously high proportion of them, compared with other animation styles. I think the main problem here is that, as it's been sold as the newest thing in the market, there's too much focus on it and sometimes it just feels unnecesary. For example, some child shows I've seen these last years have inserted some CGI, and don't even care to make a good use of it. There is not interest on the artistic part, but CGI animation is so cool and fresh (heh) that it seems they are forced to fill their shows with it to increase their profit, even if there's some lack of context or fitting situations to introduce the style. And in the end all that commercial strategy is cheapening what in itself is a very respectable -as Pixar reveals every year- form of art.

i've stopped buying that CGI is just a pleasing visual alternative to cel animation because generally i find it extremely dull-looking, placing more emphasis on realistic-looking textures and putting less thought into compositions or color choices. everything by Miyazaki makes even the best Pixar films look fairly bland by comparison.

Not so many as that they overshadow everything else. It's not like they haven't completely stopped producing quality animated movies in stop motion (Fantastic Mr. Fox, Coraline) or traditional (Secret of Kells) alltogether, so I don't really dwell on the whole CGI hate that much

I think CGI animated films are cool but the novelty has been gone for a good ten years or so. It's not that there are too many CGI films, it's that nearly ALL animated films are CGI. Off the top of my head, I can think of maybe five commercially-released traditionally-animated films from the last three or four years, The Simpsons Movie being one.

I WILL say though, I think CGI in general is a highly overused tool. It's relied on way too much by filmmakers. Sure, lots of what is accomplished in today's big-budget films would be impossible without CG, but I miss the days of practical and optical visual effects. CGI is almost always obvious, and just sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I prefer practical physical effects, but that's just me. Using CG just demystifies the magic of visual effects, because you know "oh they just used CG."

Back