APU IS GONE - CONFIRMED

It’s a start, but I won’t be satisfied until they re-dub Apu’s lines in previous episodes.

Cue the Twitter meltdown over a cartoon character getting a different voice actor

did you know that even with seat belts people die all the time in car crashes? i thought that was interesting.

Cue the Twitter meltdown over a cartoon character getting a different voice actor
You're assuming he'll get a different voice actor. I'm assuming he'll simply remain mute after having his vocal cords ripped out after saying "toenail imprisonment" (Apu's final lines ever) in the Season 29 premiere.

They haven't ruled it out at least. He's still quite a popular character despite all the controversy surrounding his voice acting, I wouldn't be surprised if he came back with a different voice actor.

Well, this is actually really sad!

I don't like how they handle it. A character that has been on the air for more than 30 years can't just be written out. Basically, the whole thing is just an opinion that some people have about Apu, but this doesn't have to affect the other people, who love the character. If you don't like a character, just mute the TV and walk away. You are not forced to watch something you don't like! It is really sad, because Apu is one of the best supporting characters and having him written out or replaced by another will destroy a legacy! Take "Family Guy" for example. It is crude, offensive and sometimes disgusting to watch, but nobody requested Seth MacFarlane to write a character out and this is very strange considering the show is full of stereotypes (literally the whole show is a stereotype!).

So, if "Family Guy" can have stereotypical characters, why can't "The Simpsons", which is also a show full of stereotypes have?

Last edited:
yea I guess the VA feeling massive guilt for the unfortunate presence his character had in pop culture and how that defined stereotypes to the point of those of that ethnicity having it used against them, and the fact that easily the most popular indian character in TV history was voiced by a white dude is kinda sus

but no whataboutism family guy pls

get woke go broke

how’s the cost of living in Palo Alto these days? lotta Top Ramen meals?

Last edited:
I'm like whatever at this point. This kind of shit is happening across all forms of entertainment, whether it's animation, stand-up comedy or video games, and most people recognize it as bullshit virtue signalling, but shows like the Simpsons will still pander to the very vocal, easily offended minority. I respect Azaria's decision, and he's completely within his rights to make it, even if I predict he was bullied/guilted into it by the woke crowd. I'd feel uncomfortable voicing the character too considering the fallout of the "documentary", even if from a logical standpoint it's not as big a deal as this pathetic "controversy" has made it seem. I'd be much more devestated if this had happened 20 or even 15 years ago, but because at this point I wouldn't miss the show if it ended now, I don't see why I should miss a single character. Still, I understand why so many are disappointed.

get woke go broke

how’s the cost of living in Palo Alto these days? lotta Top Ramen meals?

It's bad, but it helps that my fiancee has a higher-paying job than I do (our one-bedroom apartment is about $3000 a month). We may be moving to the San Diego area by the end of the year though.

3k for a one bed apartment lol, pay less than a third of that for a 1200 square foot 2 bed 2 bath apartment. lol california

I don't like how they handle it. A character that has been on the air for more than 30 years can't just be written out
I still haven't been answered as to why this is a big deal to some when Apu's been a background character with no speaking lines for nearly three years now. It's such an inane thing to complain about.

Its unfortunate but I respect Hank's decision that he doesn't want to bind himself voicing a character he doesn't want to voice anymore. I wonder what will happen to the Kwik-E-Mart and if Manjula and Sanjay will still have a role.

No chance in hell for a virtual home console port of Simpsons Bowling.

Apu was my favorite character growing up! And I was upset when he was shot in Hell Toupee Treehouse of Horror IX! (i didn't know the stories were non-canon) I almost wrote a letter to Fox!

Its unfortunate but I respect Hank's decision that he doesn't want to bind himself voicing a character he doesn't want to voice anymore. I wonder what will happen to the Kwik-E-Mart and if Manjula and Sanjay will still have a role.

Maybe they will have a new or a recurring character running the Kwik-E-Mart. As for Manjula, Jan Hooks died 5 years ago but the last time she voiced the character was in 2002's "Large Marge" so she (and the octuplets) could easily be retired and no one would complain. As far as Sanjay goes, that character never seemed to catch on.

I not gonna whine about it now, because what's done is done, but I'm open to having someone new voice Apu.

breaking: [MENTION=27754]comeau[/MENTION] has been hired to voice Apu

oh god I’m so excited and nervous hope I don’t screw this up

People still watch this show? LOL

Anyway, if they just casually replace Apu's voice with some millennial Indian-American with no Indian accent at all and try to pass it off as if nothing is different, that'd be some funny shit.

Wouldn't put it past them.

Good, hopefully now the character and show will go from strength to strength with a new Apu voice actor and this early casting mistake will be forgotten.

There are a number of funny actors of Indian descent. It shouldn't be that hard to find a replacement.

Back