Annoying Television Tropes

What are some plot points from television shows that are either used too frequently or completely annoy you?

I absolutely despise the "it turns out the girl/boy who I saw you talking with was actually your brother/sister/cousin", it's used way too much in shows that I watch and it's very rarely effective or entertaining, not to mention how easy it is to spot when it will occur.

Last edited:
i always find it annyoing when there are typos on props

i always find it annyoing when there are typos on props

tumblr_kr5qs8xCNs1qzvevko1_400.jpg

The sexual type character that's in a lot of shows. I.E Glenn Quagmire, Herbert the Pervert in Family Guy. Some of their lines make me cringe.

I absolutely hate the archetype of "the dumbass" in television shows nowadays. The stupid character in most shows has no balance to their personality, they're usually just complete idiots. They bumble around and make choices that no one would ever make and do things no one would ever do and then I'm expected to laugh at it because it's so funny that they're so stupid. It's not clever, it's not even passable. There's no wit or talent to writing characters like that. It's incredibly lazy and it's done so often.

I'm not that far in, but is that what he's all about now?

More or less. He's more suicidal too. Fun.

I absolutely hate the archetype of "the dumbass" in television shows nowadays. The stupid character in most shows has no balance to their personality, they're usually just complete idiots. They bumble around and make choices that no one would ever make and do things no one would ever do and then I'm expected to laugh at it because it's so funny that they're so stupid. It's not clever, it's not even passable. There's no wit or talent to writing characters like that. It's incredibly lazy and it's done so often.

I also don’t like that trope. Dumbass characters like Peter Griffin just do random ridiculous things that no one would ever do and we’re supposed to find it hilarious.

More or less. He's more suicidal too. Fun.
Suicidal? Why?
I also don’t like that trope. Dumbass characters like Peter Griffin just do random ridiculous things that no one would ever do and we’re supposed to find it hilarious.
Homer gets a pass from me on this aspect. Homer has things to balance the dumbness out, like genuinely caring about people. Peter Griffin, however, seems like he couldn't care less if his kids just suddenly disappeared. To me, that's what makes Homer superior to him.

But to contribute with something myself, I really hate those frequent "get together-break up-get together again-break up anyway"-themes many sitcoms have. Seriously, FUCKING STOP IT.

But to contribute with something myself, I really hate those frequent "get together-break up-get together again-break up anyway"-themes many sitcoms have. Seriously, FUCKING STOP IT.
Like the Penny-Leonard relationship in the early seasons of the BBT? I agree. Based on recent plot rumours, they're about to break up again this season.

I'd say that Friends made the "on/off" relationship between characters popularized because of WE WERE ON A BREAK.

I'm not that far in, but is that what he's all about now?

There was one HD episode where Moe expressed sorrow when he found out that Cletus and his friends weren't going to gang rape him.

There was one HD episode where Moe expressed sorrow when he found out that Cletus and his friends weren't going to gang rape him.

Probably one of my all-time favorite The Simpsons moments.

Probably one of my all-time favorite The Simpsons moments.

there's a _man_ who dresses like a _girl_. he's so evil and disgusting

Any time an adult acts like a child. I also don't like punching-bag characters, in general.

I hate the whole Meg-as-a-punching-bag thing, but I seem to like Jerry in Parks and Rec and Lutz in 30 Rock, but they're minor characters, I suppose. For FG to make a major character a punching bag is kind of strange, and she is treated far more cruelly than Jerry and Lutz are.

I hate the whole Meg-as-a-punching-bag thing, but I seem to like Jerry in Parks and Rec and Lutz in 30 Rock, but they're minor characters, I suppose. For FG to make a major character a punching bag is kind of strange.
It's because Meg isn't very memorable. She's there to fill the "no one understands me" trope, but they don't even try to make us sympathise with her.

The Jerry punchbag thing is handled well (like most things in Parks) because it balances the abuse he receives with the fact that his home life is pretty great. He has three beautiful daughters, a beautiful wife and, of course, a massive penis. He's shown to be a klutz in the office and is constantly mocked by most of his co-workers (I loved the Ben and Jerry bonding last season), but at home he is quick on his feet and is loved by his entire family.

The Beautiful Idiot. A person so dumb that there is no way they can survive in reality, ie Kelly Bundy and Zach from The Big Bang Theory

Teen character reveals pregnancy, pregnancy is eventually somehow terminated (convenient miscarriage or otherwise). They want all the hype, benefits, and relative "ease" of doing a pregnancy storyline without having to actually go through with it in the end and retain status quo. Really bugged me in Big Love and South of Nowhere. It especially bothers me in South of Nowhere since they spent all that time making a big deal about the character realizing she wants to keep her baby. What really pissed me off is that not 10 minutes before it happens, the show actually scares you into THINKING she will lose her baby, then she doesn't and everyone is good, then it happens ANYWAY. A low point in an otherwise progressive show.

Back