Anime thread

jal90

fan fatale of Takena Nagao
Since the old Manga & anime thread got changed its name to Manga thread and moved to the book section of nerdgroupies, I thought it would be a good idea to restart the thread here, this time focused only on the animated part of the industry.

Well, I will start by saying that I am going to rewatch Paranoia Agent these days. It was my first completed anime series and as a new experience I loved almost everything about it. However, it's been quite a long time, and I have yet to see if the impression of the first watch remains intact. I grew a lot of love for earlier Satoshi Kon's works later, so who knows.

Ah Paranoia Agent...I have seen it several times, but not in many years myself. One of those shows I always meant to buy but didn't and now finding it for a reasonable price seems impossible. I really enjoyed it though from what I remember.

Also, definitely approve of restarting this topic. :)

I need to finish watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I already know what happens since I read the manga but at the rate the eps were being translated when the show was first airing, I got tired of searching for it every week. It's in English now but I think I'll just finish it off in Japanese when I get the chance.

Been catching scattered eps of Dragon Ball Z Kai...stuff is just as terrible as the old Z series, give or take certain changes. And censored more so, maybe. Not even sure what the point is if that's the case. I'm just never going to get into that series past the original Dragon Ball.

Kai, as far as I'm aware, was just a cash grab that failed ratings wise in Japan to the point that they didn't even re-do the Buu arc, my personal favorite of the entire Dragonball story. The "truer" to the manga original intention for doing it claim certainly seems like a bunch of crap. The only good thing that has come from it, as far as I can tell, is the English dub managed to vastly improve on the same material from the original series. Dragonball/Z will always be my favorite anime/manga series but at this point I suppose most of my fondness of it comes purely from nostalgia.

I need to get the rest of Brotherhood on DVD. I can't even be bothered to watch the original series anymore after seeing it.

Yeah, don't mind if I feel compelled to give random opinions no one asked for regarding series that are mentioned that I actually have opinions on...

They didn't do Buu? That's pretty...lazy. They're showing Cell right now. They didn't dub over the scene where Gohan thinks of animals and nature before going ultra Aryan Brotherhood Saiyan in front of Cell, which is at least SOMETHING good. But they did censor 16's head getting stomped on and edit all the blood out of it.

I think the original FMA was an ok attempt at a different look at the series, but I'm really happy they did Brotherhood. I think it needed to be done as it's a far more interesting (and obviously accurate) story. Hyped to see the rest of the Briggs section of the story (I stopped around there because translations were slow) and everything after.

Basically agree with just about everything you said there Kupo. I stopped watching the Kai dub about halfway through Frieza, and have no plan of actively seeking out the rest. The script was undeniably better, but eh...

Anyone here use the site myanimelist?

If you do , my username is "rkell48"

:D

Hey, I was going to ask that, too. I also use MyAnimeList on a quite regular basis, my username there being "jal90". Will try to look for you there :).

On topic, I have wanted to watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for a while, but its length is a downer. I don't usually get into a series that lasts more than 26 episodes, maybe because I like to watch it in the shortest time span possible, and that with a 64 episode show can be exhausting. So probably will have to wait for it till I get the mood. Same thing goes for Monster and Nana.

Meanwhile, I watched Kino's Journey and Eden Of The East last month, first being 13 episodes and the second 11 :P. The first one took me by complete surprise. I mean, it was a recommendation and seemed interesting but I didn't expect to love it so much... in fact it fastly made it to my favorites list. I think what I loved the most of it was its general tone of relaxing, distracting and stress-relieving adventure. It just came in a moment of my life in which I could feel strongly attached to the emotion of travelling and knowing new places and people.

Probably the biggest criticisms it gets, like in any other show that tries to raise philosophical questions and become more or less complex, focus on the delivery of it; some finding it difficult to understand, some others too simple or silly... However for me it worked perfectly, not only because of its content, which I find eloquent enough to catch my interest alone, but as said, because of its tone. Maybe the greatest advantage of Kino's Journey in comparison with other similarly-themed shows is that, at least to me, it's more of a story to get carried away, not expecting anything from it; in fact there is not any special objective in the show, just exploring.

I didn't love Eden Of The East so much, but in the end it was also a very good show. An effective story about typical Internet Era conspiracies, with an endearing couple of main characters (specially the boy, Akira) and always keeping a mystery in the story, so the interest on the events happening never ceases. My main complaint would come with one of the side stories*, that as interesting as it could be, I thought was taking too much time from the main story, which I wanted to see explore more deeply; and some serious irregularity at the comedy, mainly between the first and second half of the series.

* The one with the killer Seleçao 

I think the pace of Brotherhood will make the length of the show not seem so tiring or long. That's one of the good things about it.

I have only seen it once, but FMA Brotherhood is definitely one of my favorite animes; it was such an improvement over the original series, which when I look back at it now, doesn't feel really good at all and I agree with raspberry about the comment about not being bothered to watch the original show anymore after seeing this one. The 64-episode length of Brotherhood doesn't bother me at all and I think it felt like a perfect length; if it was around 26 episodes, I think it would have been too rushed so I'm glad they opted for more episodes (and the pace did feel really good so even if you're used to watching shorter animes, give it a shot).

I've got the first two volumes of FMA Brotherhood on my shelves, but I've yet to see them - The original FMA took me months to finish, and I tried watching the Conqueror of Shamballa recently, but I struggled to get into it. But, I am pleased of the high praise Brotherhood has received, so it won't be long before I manage to get through Shamballa and move onto Brotherhood.

Other than that, and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I don't watch any other anime.

Sorry to re-open this but yeah, I'm a massive DB & DBZ fan not so much DB GT. DBZ>DB>DB GT. Yu-Gi-Oh too and of course Pokemon :)

the great ones:

- Death Note
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Azumanga Daioh
- Elfen Lied

the ok ones:

- Angel Beats
- Bleach
- Afro Samurai
- Desert Punk

Bleach is great up until the end of the Soul Society Arc, then it becomes tedious.
The Arrancar-arc is ok though, but the show has the same problems as Dragonball Z: confrontations in which the protagonist and the antagonist brag about their abilities followed by battles that go on forever.

Heh, DBZ still happens to be my favorite anime of all time.

Funny you mention that about Bleach though. Strictly anime speaking the thing that makes it nearly terrible post Soul Society is filler, and I don't only mean the long as hell filler arcs. I can put up with and skip them. I mean filler within episodes that cover canon material too. I mean we get several minute long flashbacks or recaps, or cuts to other fights that were never cut to in that way in the manga and it is such a chore to sit through. Which is really sad I think because I own Bleach on DVD through Soul Society arc and I'd buy the Arrancar arc if it were'nt for the goddamned filler. Adult Swim is actually showing the Ichigo/Ulquiorra fight dubbed right now and the last two episodes have been very fun to watch and fairly low on filler, but the one before it was a pointless recap episode. It's a shame I can't just pick and choose Bleach episodes to buy on DVD without knowing I'll have to be buying some garbage episodes too that I'll never watch...post Soul Society arc. Plus the DVDs have become an enormous ripoff in regards to price and episodes contained in each but I suppose Viz is more to blame for that.

My top10 in series would go like this:

1. Azumanga Daioh
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Princess Tutu
4. Kino's Journey
5. Usagi Drop
6. Paranoia Agent
7. Anne Of Green Gables
8. Haibane Renmei
9. Future Boy Conan
10. School Rumble

And I started Mushishi... it seems pretty clear that it will jump into my top10 when I finish it.

Reactions: Sam
Bleach is great up until the end of the Soul Society Arc, then it becomes tedious.
The Arrancar-arc is ok though, but the show has the same problems as Dragonball Z: confrontations in which the protagonist and the antagonist brag about their abilities followed by battles that go on forever.

I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoyed Bleach and would classify it as rather solid (I watched the subbed version and now the anime has ended so I will miss it) even after the Soul Society arcs; of course, the filler ones were so-so, but the canon ones were still good. Not all of the longer fighter were tedious and there were also some shorter fights that were in fact pretty good, such as a couple of the Fake Karakura Town ones against the Arrancar underlings.

And if there's an action anime that has more problems that Bleach, you should look towards Naruto Shippuuden. That one has a bigger tendency to drag things out and it also seem to repeat certain flashbacks several times.

Last edited:
And if there's an action anime that has more problems that Bleach, you should look towards Naruto Shippuuden. That one has a bigger tendency to drag things out and it also seem to repeat certain flashbacks several times.

For some reason I always avoided watching Naruto.

Speaking about Bleach, it has definitely one of my favorite soundtracks for an anime; it has a bit of everything and very well composed.

Last edited:
Surprised this forum had an Anime thread I had to search for this
Anyways Ive recently gotten into anime more, in the summer over the course of like 5 days I watched Soul Eater. And I just recently finished Higurashi When they cry all 4 seasons and Elfen Lied.
Now Im debating wether to watch Highschool of the Dead or Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo.

I wish people had told me before how awesome anime is

Anyone watch the new Toonami on Adult Swim Saturdays? They just got license to air uncut Naruto after Bleach. I hope they get some other animes in the future to fill up the reruns like One Piece or Neon Genesis Evangelion. I haven't been into anime like I was a few years ago, but occasionally I can catch an episode of Bleach or Full Metal Alchemist on Saturdays just for old times sake. Are there any new ones that are actually worth watching like the old ones?

Yeah I used to watch Naruto on CN when I was in middle school but as I got a little older (like one year older) I found the show insufferable I recently watched the first 2 uncut episodes on the new Toonami and I still found them annoying as hell. As for Bleach I cant say I like it either.
Right now I'm searching for some good ones that dont have a million episodes

If your looking for something good maybe Soul Eater

If any one know some good animes that dont have a million episodes tell me

Surprised this forum had an Anime thread I had to search for this
Anyways Ive recently gotten into anime more, in the summer over the course of like 5 days I watched Soul Eater. And I just recently finished Higurashi When they cry all 4 seasons and Elfen Lied.
Now Im debating wether to watch Highschool of the Dead or Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo.

I wish people had told me before how awesome anime is

I own Gankutsuou so I'd recommend it over High School of the Dead, which is a......fun?.....series at best.

Here's a link to my MAL, you can see how I grade all the series I've watched plus how long they are:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/animefan8800

The Naruto manga is nearing its climax while Bleach has gotten pretty awesome as of late, the most recent chapter especially for me, the Zaraki fan that I am.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah this is a new MAL account I started about a month after mentioning my old forgotten one in this thread.:D

Finished Highschool of the Dead last night and despite it being kinda precdictable I absoultly loved it and I cant wait for season 2.
Now I either watch Gankutsuou, Bersrk, Baccano or maybe Paronoia Agent

Back