American Dad thread

On the other hand though...we've been watching early Simpsons DVDs again and ohhh my god the lolz it brings.. I love it :heart:

Fuck yes I love that episode.

Wait it's s1? I change my mind. It had a rocky start but AD! has ALWAYS been quality.

But Lol have Mercy, that Wiki entry is poor as shit.

Haha indeed it is, I just linked to it so people would know which episode I was talking about.

And yeah...I always thought that the first season was pretty sub-par as well, but since all of the series has been thrown up on Netflix Instant Watch (natch), I've come to find that isn't really true at all (also goes double for Parks & Rec).

"Francine's Flashback" was the first AD episode I liked. The "Stan of Arabia" 2-parter sealed it for me.

Well, I just watched the episode and I thought it was pretty terrific. Season 4/5 Simpsons quality might be a little far but it remained true to it's characters, a trait that people never fail to overlook when comparing American Dad to the other Seth shows, it was flowed well throughout the entire episode and it was pretty far from predictable and it was hilarious the entire way through.

No scene felt out of place or unnecessary, I'll admit that the dog-breast thing was a little WTF and may have given a family guy vibe but apart from that the episode remained pretty damn consistant. I was another who saw the time travel thing and believed it thinking "This is going to be awful." Well, they got me.

So yeah, 9/10 for laughs, a well-planned plot, character depth and for willing to actually make a permanant change to a character (if Hayley's marriage is permanent. Which I hope it is, someone said it was a two-parter, didn't they? so I'd say that's more to get Hayley back then to break her up with Jeff.)

Also, Death Counter and Simpsons Reference were fun :)

As for when the show got good. I thought it was pretty ok to good in it's first season (maybe second as well) by it's third I started to like it more and when we got to season four, with episodes like "The One that Got Away," I was hooked. I'll second that "Stan Of Arabia" was the first episode to really show what American Dad could be and eventually became.

Never got why people thought Stan of Arabia was a big improvement, it's why I didn't trust people when they said American Dad had got much better.

Looking back the first bit I really liked was Klaus' DVD commentary and Bullock's attempt to claim the fight and everything had been a set-up whilst obviously being in incredible pain and struggling to jump through a window to show it was plexiglass.

There were a few decent episodes and good bits throughout the first season but "Tears of a Clooney" seems to stick out the most The fact that it takes place of a whole year was a sign they could try some interesting ideas. And because I realised how great Wendy Schall is as Francine, even when the dialogue is weaker her performance is always good enough to lift it.

Last edited:
Looking back the first bit I really liked was Klau's DVD commentary and Bullock's attempt to claim the fight and everything had been a set-up whilst obviously being in incredible pain and sturggling to jump through a window to show it was plexiglass.
This scene,the scene with the blind man as well as the sub plot with Steve and Roger making prank calls make "Bullocks To Stan" my favourite episode in the series. But overall season 3 is my favourite and when I think the series got really good.

Tonight episode was pretty fun, nothing impressive if only how creepy Steveranio was

Good episode, except what is it with Seth MacFarlane shows and having violent dog/cat deaths? Sometimes I think American Dad goes a little too far, and thats one of the only things stopping it from being great.

watched the episode from sunday and yeah what a fun episode. Had some funny moments and some moments that were unfunny even cringe worthy. Not the best American Dad episode but good nonetheless

Oh please, won't someone save the totally real and not in any way cartoon animals and give them a good home?

Off-topic, but I have to ask: Who here watched Cleveland Show on Sunday - and who else, like me, heard "clusterfuck" said clear as day and uncensored on primetime TV? I was pretty shocked.

Looked it up on YouTube, it was "cluster fudge". Clear as day to me.

Oh please, won't someone save the totally real and not in any way cartoon animals and give them a good home?
Its just that between American Dad and Family Guy, they've done a LOT of "jokes" about killing cats and dogs (and showing it.)

I don't care that its not real, I don't see how its supposed to be funny in any way.

The thing with the dogs last week was funny, because to me the humour came from their willingness to hurt a dog, simply out of curiosity which wasn't even important anyway, the fact that the microchip was sophisticated to enough to work on dogs as well. And of course Stan claiming to have healed it's legs and the death counter contradicting him. It wasn't just a simple animal cruelty joke done for a shock value.

The thing with the kittens in this episode was just a lazy way of showing that clone Steve was crazy and they should have come up with something better than the kitten heads.

I still laughed pretty hard at GETTIN' FANCEH!

Also I think the funniest part about the dog explosion was how sudden it was. You barely have time to register what Stan is doing until just as it happens. That's what my experience was anyway.

Very good episode nothing really memorable if only for tochi slaughter otherwise a pretty average storyline with good gags

Well at least this one was good. Can't help but notice though that they aged Toshi's sister, for obvious reasons. :lol:

Then again though, after having Chris and Meg accidentally make out it's not like they can go much lower.

I can kinda get what Stan was getting at with -insert character here- sexy version costumes being done to death.

Didn't notice it they always aged her and kinda assume they were the same age

I must say that it was weird to see Franicine spending most of the third act in her underwear, but hey her costume was that of a sexy Francine

Sort of. In her first appearance she looked like she was the same age as Toshi and just looked like a very young girl. But second appearance and on, she visibly aged beyond him/them and gained more "teen sex appeal" if you wanna call it that. Taller, skinnier, slightly bustier.

I thought she was just always meant to look like some kind of anime character who simultaniously looks 10 and much, much too developed to be 10

Sailor Moon-esque, I suppose

They literally aged her and changed her character model. In fact, now that I see it again, she looked even YOUNGER than Toshi and the rest of the boys in the first appearance.

Yeah she was definitely younger in her first appearance (I might be wrong but I think it's American Dream Factory, when she's in the drummer tryouts). Though they changed her model/age all the way back in Season 4, I noticed this the other day back when I was watching Weiner of Our Discontent on DVD.

Definitely the best Halloween episode of the night, my only complaint was that, come on, who didn't expect the serial killers to escape? After the scene with the neighborhood kids getting attacked by the serial killers and enjoying it thinking its all a haunted house act, I wish they would have done a quick scene of some kids exiting the house saying "that was awesome!"

True, but I like how Roger handled it. Or rather handled realizing what he did. Made it up for me.

Also, anyone who didn't experience hilarity joy at the dancing Mogwai kid needs a lobotomy. Clearly, you're just abusing what brains you have.

Back