American Dad Rate/Review: Pilot (1AJN01)

How do you rate the premiere of American Dad?

• 5/5

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • 4/5

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • 3/5

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • 2/5

Votes: 28 19.2%
  • 1/5

Votes: 40 27.4%

• Total voters
3/5 for me. I remember watching the first episode a few years ago. I could tell that it was trying too hard to be funny with random moments, but as it became less Family Guy, it became funny.

Ah, good times. Back when Family Guy was considered the funny one, Simpsons considered what I assume to be less shitty, and a pilot of this level being considered really shitty. Sigh, what happened to you TV, you used to be good most of the time.

I only come on here now and then and I'm a little surprised (to say the least) to see a post of mine this old get quoted.

But there's been a bunch of brilliant comedy shows since 2005. And unfortunately, this one still sucks balls.

this one still sucks balls.

DVyQO48.jpg

Just like your mom did last night!

hzs0b1p.jpg

This episode does kinda suck, but the show did pretty much a complete 180 from this. Still don't get how anyone who likes good comedy could be down on this show. It's just legitimately funny stuff. I was watching "Office Spaceman" a while back and my mom was in the room, and despite the fact that she hates this stuff she was laughing and asking about it, saying it was pretty clever (and also a bit crude though).

Plus it's awesome just cause its done so many plots no other show can do (Vacation Goo? C'mon, that's fucking awesome).

I was watching "Office Spaceman" a while back and my mom was in the room, and despite the fact that she hates this stuff she was laughing and asking about it, saying it was pretty clever (and also a bit crude though)..

My sister has the same sort of thing when it comes to comedy. She pretty much hates most adult animated shows, but American Dad is her one exception (She also really like Futurama, but I always have a hard time considering it an "Adult" show despite some of the jokes)

That's awesome to hear man. I love hearing how so many people have come around to this show, and not just in a "it's decent" way, but seeing that's it's actually pretty great. Unfortunately it's also a rare show that has a stigma attached to it as being constantly seen as a lesser version of another show, because it came out at FGs pop-culture zenith, and it generally wasn't that great at first. That alone makes a lot of people write it off and refuse to give it a fair shot.

It's not that surprising though when you actually look at the writers for AD, so many of them have done a lot of great work, and also Barker and Weitzman were a big part of the FG glory years as well. It's clear they all really molded it into a unique show, even more impressive when you consider how limited the premise feels on the surface.

Yeah, this show is definitely the underdog of Animation Domination, which is extremely sad and depressing considering it's easily the funniest, yet people still can't get over it's a MacFarlane show (pretty much in name only).

I thought you guys might say that. I'm not as big on Bob as you guys, but it's doing really good for a show in its early stages that's fairly unheard of.

I actually love the pilot episode....but I saw it a while after I got into the show. So for me, I had knowledge of the show's evolution when I first saw it and didn't judge it as harshly as people who saw its premiere. Had I been aware of the show at the time it premiered I would have definitely said it was like FG. At the same time, I still think I would haven given it a chance because the premise was very different from FG back then. I do wish more people would give AD a chance, but I've never even attempted to get into the Simpsons, Cleveland, or many other popular shows out there, so I guess condemning others for not trying this one would make me a hypocrite.

It wasn't bad, and there were a few laughs here and there, but it wasn't absolutely hilarious. I haven't seen any later AD episodes so I don't know how the series turns out. But it was still a good start, at least.

7/10 B

the pilot of american dad is basically family guy before they knew family guy was coming back. so it kinda sucks. derivative and very lacking in humor. 2/5

I saw the pilot and hated it. This was before "Threat Levels" even aired, mind you. Now this show is my favourite Animation Domination show. WEIRD HUH

It wasn't bad, and there were a few laughs here and there, but it wasn't absolutely hilarious. I haven't seen any later AD episodes so I don't know how the series turns out. But it was still a good start, at least.

7/10 B
American Dad! is COMPLETELY different from the pilot, in a good way! It's hilariously funny and so different from FG. It's actually superior to FG in every way possible. Even when they do common/recycled plots, they still manage to pull it off.

I saw the pilot and hated it. This was before "Threat Levels" even aired, mind you. Now this show is my favourite Animation Domination show. WEIRD HUH
even threat levels is lame though

even threat levels is lame though

I wasn't saying "then Threat Levels came along and it changed everything!" I was stating that when I first saw the pilot it was before anyone knew what to expect from AD!

also Threat Levels is a big improvement over the pilot

threat levels is easily the worst of the series imo

It's pretty funny how this show turned around. I hated the pilot (and for what it's worth, completely despised Threat Levels), but it suddenly got consistently entertaining (or at least watchable) since around Stan of Arabia.

I didn't think Baby Franny was that bad, actually.

I was enjoying it until that awful fireman twist.

Back