60 Second Simpsons

look out jimsy, he's irish!
BE3GfgJCcAE_67t.jpg

Ended up sending a copyright dispute to Fox this past Friday... Hoping it comes back soon. Fox is being weird lately, where they have been "blocking" videos instead of taking them down and handing out copyright strikes. The "Father Bouvier" episode disappeared briefly last week. In the case of a block (which takes 30 days to expire if Fox does nothing), the Father Bouvier video reappeared even though it was still in dispute. And to Fox's credit, they actually manually reversed their decision and lifted the block themselves. With all of my formal takedowns, they have just done nothing and then it expired after 14 days.

Dunno what is causing it, it could just be a view threshold. The Herman video was doing surprisingly well... Had just surpassed 100k views when Fox blocked it (and helped me pass 20k subscribers). I didn't think anyone really cared about Herman, to be honest, so was a bit surprised when so many people watched it.

Pixar #7 is recorded and is in editing. It turned out really long... Will probably rival the length my The Good Dinosaur review, at about 25 minutes when it's all said and done. I didn't feel like I personally had as much to say about this one, but there's so much little stuff that happens in it, it's hard to gloss over things. Keep a look out for it! :D

Hey, it's back again! Fox released the claim once again. You can watch the video now [MENTION=74980]lennyleonard101[/MENTION], if you were still meaning to see it. :)

Clearly someone is reviewing these disputes and determining they're fine, it's just weird they got flagged to begin with.

Pixar #7 is recorded and is in editing. It turned out really long... Will probably rival the length my The Good Dinosaur review, at about 25 minutes when it's all said and done. I didn't feel like I personally had as much to say about this one, but there's so much little stuff that happens in it, it's hard to gloss over things. Keep a look out for it! :D

So to peel back the curtain, Jims told me the list order in person back in May but I can only barely remember it, but I know what this one is, and I'm looking forward to it because I remember you thinking it would be a simpler review... I guess not the case! Excited.

Just finished the Herman video, after 2 weeks of work preventing me from catching up on it. Great stuff! Herman is one of those characters I register in my mind as a side/supporting role, but then I immediately forget that he exists everytime he's not on screen.

I'll always watch a Season 1 episode, and say "Oh, hey. I completely forgot you were around." I suppose I wasn't the only one. Can I also just say that it's really cool that PIEGUYRULZ (one of my personal favorite video creators) and I watch the same person?)

Good to know the Herman video is back up again.

And I'm certainly looking forward to the next Pixar vid. With that clue you have given and the troubles you're having with the review (that with all the small moments that can't be skipped) I think I know which one it is, but I might be wrong.

Glad you fought against it. 100% covered under fair use. Fuck copyright nazis.

Pixar Perfect #7 - Monsters Inc.

(Obligatory [MENTION=3954]Ryan[/MENTION] mention here, as I know this is his favorite Pixar film.)

Went into this review not knowing exactly what to say about it. I used to think of Monsters Inc. as being a film in which "a bunch of stuff happens." It strikes me as being one of Pixar's more action and event-driven films, less dependent on some fundamental character growth. But I think it is a film with a lot of interesting character motivations, a film that examines something about human nature. The review ended up getting pretty long... I'm severely underestimated how dense the plot was and how much running back and forth is in it. It ended up being almost the length of The Good Dinosaur Review, for exactly the opposite reason. It was also the easiest film to rank for me. I knew what my Top 6 was going to be. And I knew what was bunched together in the #8-12 range. And then Monsters Inc. landed right in the middle of them. It was totally a coincidence, but I like how the three Fear Movies landed right next to each other in the countdown.

Hope you guys enjoy the review. Really wanted to do this film right since I know how much Ryan loves it. I feel like this is the kind of film where different people will connect with different aspects, so I hope I at least presented my perspective on it well.

It honestly says a lot about how great Pixar can be that a review can be this positive and yet still only ranked at #7.

Also fun fact: This was apparently the first film that 2 year old me ever went to see in a cinema.

Not the film I guessed (I thought this would crack your top 5 or something, but it's not surprising it didn't since your rankings have sometimes been a bit out of the ordinary).

One of the best Pixar films in my opinion. It really does a lot of things with what could have been a rather simple and straightforward story & it works wonderfully. As much as I like this one, Monsters University didn't work so well for me and was kind of disappointing; I'd rather have seen a sequel to the original and I'm sure they could have done it (Toy Story 2 and 3 turned out really well so I think they could have done something good with a Monsters sequel too).

It honestly says a lot about how great Pixar can be that a review can be this positive and yet still only ranked at #7.

Been finding it tough to come up with specific critiques the farther up my list I go... It's kind of a problem when tackling Pixar films to begin with (getting really nitpicky sometimes), I have a weird feeling that all the reviews are going to sound like my #1 pick. It's becoming such a game of inches. I would say the thing that knocks Monsters Inc. down a little for me personally is that it doesn't hit me in the feels as much as other stuff. It has the ending, but I usually need a bigger punch in the gut somewhere. Not really Monsters Inc's fault, just more of a personal taste thing for me.

On the other hand, there is an argument that mid-to-late Pixar films can be emotionally manipulative (I'm looking at you, Inside Out), so I do appreciate the lack of angst in this one.

Not the film I guessed (I thought this would crack your top 5 or something, but it's not surprising it didn't since your rankings have sometimes been a bit out of the ordinary).

One of the best Pixar films in my opinion. It really does a lot of things with what could have been a rather simple and straightforward story & it works wonderfully. As much as I like this one, Monsters University didn't work so well for me and was kind of disappointing; I'd rather have seen a sequel to the original and I'm sure they could have done it (Toy Story 2 and 3 turned out really well so I think they could have done something good with a Monsters sequel too).

Am curious now, which one did you think it was going to be? Didn't know if you'd been seeing the comments in YouTube I'd been dropping for each video (this one's was "a film in which the protagonist has blue fur")... Were you thinking Toy Story 3 or The Incredibles? Those are the only other ones whose plots seem as dense as Monsters Inc's. I felt like this would be one of my less controversial rankings, to be honest. I feel like a lot of people find a reason to discount Monsters Inc. a smidge and stick it somewhere in the middle. Had one commentor on an older video mention how much they dislike Monsters Inc., which I didn't get. Who actually hates Monsters Inc.? It feels like a super inoffensive film.

I wonder what a Monsters Inc. sequel would actually look like? With the way this one ended, I feel like there would be too much temptation to do something with Boo, and I fear they would mishandle the dynamic or mess it up somehow. I feel like their instinct would be something involving human knowledge of their scheme, or something like that.

Or maybe, with their surplus of renewable energy, WALL-E actually is the sequel...

Am curious now, which one did you think it was going to be? Didn't know if you'd been seeing the comments in YouTube I'd been dropping for each video (this one's was "a film in which the protagonist has blue fur")... Were you thinking Toy Story 3 or The Incredibles? Those are the only other ones whose plots seem as dense as Monsters Inc's. I felt like this would be one of my less controversial rankings, to be honest. I feel like a lot of people find a reason to discount Monsters Inc. a smidge and stick it somewhere in the middle. Had one commentor on an older video mention how much they dislike Monsters Inc., which I didn't get. Who actually hates Monsters Inc.? It feels like a super inoffensive film.

My first guess was Ratatouille (since the protagonist has blue fur and the film has a lot of small stuff in it, not as much as Monsters Inc. on a second thought but it just has that feel). My second guess was this film and mainly because I never really consider Sulley as the protagonist as I counted both him and Mike as kinda sharing that role even though the latter is more of the supporting protagonist and not as important to the overall plot (it must be because his close friendship with Sulley whom he rarely is seen apart from and how he really steals the spotlight when he's in a scene).

And I haven't seen a lot of people hating on Monsters Inc. and I've rarely seen someone put it somewhere in the middle (or even in the bottom half) of their Pixar rankongs. It always seemed like one of those Pixar films that is generally really well liked and even loved, but you putting it at #7 isn't wrong at all and it feels like a good placement. You gave good reasons of why it ended up there and I agree with what you say of it, it's just that I at first imagined it would crack your Top 5.

Where is my Monster Inc. defense force in [MENTION=3954]Ryan[/MENTION]??? Bah, I am impatient.

My first guess was Ratatouille (since the protagonist has blue fur and the film has a lot of small stuff in it, not as much as Monsters Inc. on a second thought but it just has that feel). My second guess was this film and mainly because I never really consider Sulley as the protagonist as I counted both him and Mike as kinda sharing that role even though the latter is more of the supporting protagonist and not as important to the overall plot (it must be because his close friendship with Sulley whom he rarely is seen apart from and how he really steals the spotlight when he's in a scene).

And I haven't seen a lot of people hating on Monsters Inc. and I've rarely seen someone put it somewhere in the middle (or even in the bottom half) of their Pixar rankongs. It always seemed like one of those Pixar films that is generally really well liked and even loved, but you putting it at #7 isn't wrong at all and it feels like a good placement. You gave good reasons of why it ended up there and I agree with what you say of it, it's just that I at first imagined it would crack your Top 5.

You're definitely right about Monsters Inc. feeling a little more like an ensemble movie than some of other Pixar's stuff. It's arguably about Mike and Sulley as co-protagonists, considering how much screentime they get. I don't know if it was just because of how Mike got Monsters University about him, but on a re-watch, Monsters Inc. felt way more like Sulley's movie to me. He definitely gets the main emotional thrust of the film with Boo, which is what the whole thing really circles around. But there is a very strong argument that Mike gets the bigger character arc in the film, that that's the whole point of his final scene in the film. Sulley's character change is more about his priorities and his needs, which strikes me as more nuanced than Pixar's usual fare.

I think it's fair to say that I am probably too biased toward middle Pixar as a whole with my rankings. Almost everything in the Top 6 came from the run from The Incredibles through Toy Story 3 (sorry Cars).

Got 2 videos and a podcast link this time.

First, we have 60 Second Simpsons and Extra Seconds videos for Simple Simpson.

After doing that Owen Likes Comics crossover awhile ago, I got in the mood to do one of the comic book episodes. Always found this one very memorable from the middle seasons. I feel like it is a little uneven in places and a bit one-note, but it's such a different sort of episode, it wins me over in the end. Was surprised to hear in the comments about how much certain people disliked this episode. Never thought of this one as being particularly offensive.

I also did an interview recently on the Rumandapples podcast. It's about 75 minutes long, and covers general topics about the channel. Talk a little bit about the production of the videos and the writing and the hobbyist nature of a YouTube projects. I talk about some of the Simpsons Mystery videos as well, what goes into it, and what I latch onto. We cover Pixar as well toward the end, although I do get baited into a lengthy personal diatribe about The Good Dinosaur that I talked about on here. I was a little nervous about doing the interview because I get self-conscious and nervous when doing stuff live, but it was a fun conversation we had. If you're interested, check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVOwEyScSlg

where's this die hard content Jims?
give me the inside scoop

I think Simple Simpson is like Ralph Wiggum, in that the casual fans seem to like it a lot more than the fanatics. (Not that I’m accusing you of anything...:shifty:.) It’s good for what it is, and it’s definitely unique and memorable, but it’s not exceptional. Episodes that strive to be just plain goofy have been done better (King-Size Homer), but for where it is in the series, I think it achieves what it set out to do.

Simple Simpson is probably one of the better and most memorable episodes from the post-classic era (and yeah, casuals seem to really like it). It's pretty silly but a good episode, is a nice spoof on superhero movies (especially Spider-Man) and has some nice jokes, but I have to agree that the last act is not as good as the rest of the episode (feels like they already did something like that with Homer and Mr. Burns in 'Homer Vs. Dignity' so it's not that original either).

(By the way, [MENTION=13536]Jims P. Sullivan[/MENTION], I saw someone in the comments suggesting you do 'The Day The Violence Died' and I have to echo that. I think it would interesting if you covered it next).

where's this die hard content Jims?
give me the inside scoop

It's a secret. You have to solve the clues to figure it out. :shifty:

I think Simple Simpson is like Ralph Wiggum, in that the casual fans seem to like it a lot more than the fanatics. (Not that I’m accusing you of anything...:shifty:.) It’s good for what it is, and it’s definitely unique and memorable, but it’s not exceptional. Episodes that strive to be just plain goofy have been done better (King-Size Homer), but for where it is in the series, I think it achieves what it set out to do.

That's a fair comparison. Simple Simpson isn't a particularly deep episode in terms of its dramas or even its jokes. With the middle to late seasons, I'm kinda drawn to what stands out among the crowd, which is probably the biggest thing it has going for it.

Simple Simpson is probably one of the better and most memorable episodes from the post-classic era (and yeah, casuals seem to really like it). It's pretty silly but a good episode, is a nice spoof on superhero movies (especially Spider-Man) and has some nice jokes, but I have to agree that the last act is not as good as the rest of the episode (feels like they already did something like that with Homer and Mr. Burns in 'Homer Vs. Dignity' so it's not that original either).

(By the way, [MENTION=13536]Jims P. Sullivan[/MENTION], I saw someone in the comments suggesting you do 'The Day The Violence Died' and I have to echo that. I think it would interesting if you covered it next).

That's clever, I never thought of the Homer vs Dignity angle. Kinda shows the difference in restraint between the Scully and Jean eras. I would argue that Simple Simpson could've probably gone for a little more edge to Homer's "evil pranks" but I get why they kept it light. At least there were no pandas.

Hmmmmm, I'll have to think about The Day The Violence Died. That's an episode I don't think about that much, so my mind is kinda blank in thinking about a review.

Since it’s Halloween month can you do the long awaited THOH II vs. THOH IV showdown? And a maybe a review of THOH III since that showdown would leave III as the only THOH from the first eight seasons you’d have yet to review.

Happy Halloween! [MENTION=72189]euthanasiataeaf[/MENTION] was on the right track that I had a THOH Showdown ready, but I swapped out THOHII and did THOHIII vs THOHIV. Enjoy! :D

Happy Halloween! [MENTION=72189]euthanasiataeaf[/MENTION] was on the right track that I had a THOH Showdown ready, but I swapped out THOHII and did THOHIII vs THOHIV. Enjoy! :D

Ah, nice! What made you want to do III instead of II (as II vs. IV is what’s represented in the intro)?

Also, next year you should do I vs. II!

Ah, nice! What made you want to do III instead of II (as II vs. IV is what’s represented in the intro)?

Also, next year you should do I vs. II!

I watched 2, 3, and 4 in a row and felt like 3 and 4 were the slightly better matchup. If I had to rank them, I would go 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 (don't know where 6 or 7 would go), so I figured this one would be closer in my mind. My original thought was to use 2 because it is structured a little more similarly to 4 (Monkey's Paw vs The Devil, "It's a Good Life" parody vs "Terror at 20,000 Feet" parody, etc) and then I got lazy and never changed the intro.

So, are you going to update the intro to use THOH III instead of THOH II? :P

Good job done with this showdown video. I think that III vs. IV was probably the best and most interesting match-up you could have gone for as I think that the two are more or less even, more so than it would have been with I vs. IV or II vs. IV.

As for III and IV I think both are a lot of fun and has a lot of good stuff; IV has the better creep factor and III has the better humor (and the 'Dial Z For Zombies' segment which is my favorite of the six; interestingly it's your least favorite) but the thing with III is that 'Clown Without Pity' and 'King Homer' isn't as strong as 'Zombies' and it's barely any creepy & IV is a little more uneven and the ending is a confused mess where they just throw everything at you. I think I'd have to pick III because it has the overall stronger jokes and that great last segment.

(And I agree that the next Treehouse showdown should be I vs. II).

Last edited:
So, after the news about John Lasseter, are you still going to continue with your Pixar project?

So, after the news about John Lasseter, are you still going to continue with your Pixar project?

I think I will, but oh boy does it make the timing of this video's release awkward today. :-/

So, uh, this is a review of Up. It's made by a studio helmed by an asshole who gropes people. So, yeah. Here is the video. Whohoo.

*sigh*

Back