60 Second Simpsons

Good job with the latest videos, [MENTION=13536]Jims[/MENTION]. I liked the extra bit for 'Summer of 4 Ft. 2' and the Histories vid for Fat Tony was really good; he sure is a pretty consistent character, isn't he? I think the fact that he wasn't brought back until S6 after his S3 episode was a shame as there are some S4 & 5 episodes where they could have worked him into the plot (also, now that I think of it, I think one of my sole gripes with S4 is that it doesn't have Tony nor a Sideshow Bob episode).

As for the Disenchantment review (part 1), I cannot watch it yet as I'm only halfway through the season (yeah, I wouldn't say I'm a binge watcher) but definitely looking forward to check out your thoughts once I've finished it.

Thanks [MENTION=78657]WeirdGirl[/MENTION]! I had a little trouble writing the review, but I like how it turned out after watching it back. I heard in the comments a lot of the YouTube reviewers gave it a pretty negative overall impression, so I'm glad my take was at least somewhat different, at least on YouTube. I feel like most people are saying it starts slow and improves, though. Didn't think my take was particularly unique. But it was nice to put together a video project with different visuals in it. Kind of makes me want to do more TV reviews.

As for the Disenchantment review (part 1), I cannot watch it yet as I'm only halfway through the season (yeah, I wouldn't say I'm a binge watcher) but definitely looking forward to check out your thoughts once I've finished it.

I ended up making the review spoiler-free so you can watch it before finishing, or you can wait. I do hint at a couple of the later reveals and talk open-endedly about where certain character arcs are going, so maybe watching it would make it less fresh. I know I often avoid reviews of stuff I was already planning on watching.

I get your point [MENTION=13536]Jims[/MENTION] but I still ended up waiting until I finished the set of episodes before I watched your take on the series.

Good review overall. I agree with you on some points but I am nowhere as critical of it as you as I for instance liked the more slow burn pacing & enjoyed various supporting characters that I think are pretty memorable, but like you I also think that Elfo is maybe the best of the main characters; I like how he with his optimism, heart & surprising senitivity plays off against Bean and especially Luci (who's essentially his direct opposite) and his arc is maybe the most interesting so far to me and honestly, I don't really find him annoying or frustrating at all like you do. He's like a teenager who does and says some really dumb stuff and I think that is part of his charm. Just my honest opinion.

Last edited:
I had done a lot of unexpected traveling in September (literally 3 weekends in a row), so I put together a Simpsons episode in the middle of it while I start up Pixar. Couldn't go a whole month without a video. I decided to review The Scorpion's Tale, just because I feel like it is a really notable modern-ish episode that a decent number of people wouldn't know. I remember having a strong reaction to it at the time, so it was fun to revisit.

My original plan was to write Pixar #2 and #1 as a double-header, but I think I'm just going to do one at a time. The #2 review is, uh, getting a little out of control. Clearly I didn't want to write an actual review and just wanted to write an essay about a certain character, so I need to wrangle it back in again.

I get your point @<b><a href="https://www.nohomers.net/member.php?u=13536" target="_blank">Jims</a></b> but I still ended up waiting until I finished the set of episodes before I watched your take on the series.

Good review overall. I agree with you on some points but I am nowhere as critical of it as you as I for instance liked the more slow burn pacing & enjoyed various supporting characters that I think are pretty memorable, but like you I also think that Elfo is maybe the best of the main characters; I like how he with his optimism, heart & surprising senitivity) plays off against Bean and especially Luci (who's essentially his direct opposite) and his arc is maybe the most interesting so far to me and honestly, I don't really find him annoying or frustrating at all like you do. He's like a teenager who does and says some really dumb stuff and I think that is part of his charm. Just my honest opinion.

That's fair, I'm kind of the same way when it comes to reviews. I hate feeling like an initial viewing is being tampered by something I heard elsewhere.

I dunno, I feel like I might have come off a little too negative on Elfo (even though I said he is my favorite). It's mostly his stuff with Bean that gets under my skin. That house party episode is uncomfortable to sit through, just because Elfo is such a jealous creep. I liked it better in that later episode with the giant because it was more comedic, silly, and Elfo got his just desserts.

I love that joke with him in Episode 3 when he and Bean are making a daisy chain. Don't know why, it's just funny how he just nitpicks her to death.

[MENTION=13536]Jims[/MENTION], For one thing, I quite liked those gags of Elfo fighting with Luci (I hope that if he returns to the show, they'll interact more and have more scenes together).

The Scorpion's Tale was a decent episode, I think. There's a fairly good and interesting plot with a good guest performance some nice jokes and that eyeball-popping side effect thing is so ridiculously goofy and dumb I kinda find it funny (though I perfectly see why it ruins the episode for some); it's a pretty wierd one overall.

Last edited:
Newest Pixar video is out. Only one to go. This went through a lot of Development Hell, so please pardon how all over the place it goes. This review goes to some weird places.
(Also the last video is delayed after Halloween due to how much I had trouble with writing this thing.)

I kind of regret not slandering Toy Story 2 more in this review, because I didn't anticipate how much people rag on 3 for being a continuation of what started in 2. I agree with the sentiment that this film most certainly runs with the ball with ideas started in 2, but this film actually seems to know where they want to go with it. Toy Story 2 has always felt like an incomplete film to me. One that lives so much in the theoretical and philosophical, that when the third act comes along, it has no idea how to test anything. The third act of Toy Story 2 is easily its worst part. Everything in 3 that echoes 2 feels deliberately done because they want to provide contrast and want to pivot the second story in a different direction. Whereas 2 is so full of "HEY GUYS, REMEMBER WHEN WE DID THIS" that it just feels like Buzz Lightyear is re-living his glory days for half the film. I think what happens at Sunnyside is infinitely more relevant to our lives than the more magical decision Woody faces in 2.

I do nitpick the plot of 3 a decent amount in this review, though. The mechanics of its plot are always waaaaaay too convoluted for its own good.

I've been discovering lately that I have always been a fan of the "refinement" entry instead of the first entry in a series, so maybe this is just the most extreme example of that preference. Or maybe this is one of those films, due to my age, I will always be biased toward. I think that is probably it.

Last edited:
Nice work with the Toy Story 3 review, [MENTION=13536]Jims[/MENTION]. Sorry for the late post.

The third is a really good one and a great capper, though it does have some problems (which became more apparent on a rewatch some months ago). While the plot itself is maybe the best and most interesting one in the trilogy overall, it does get convoluted like you say and also kinda overstuffed with a ton of prominent characters, I do think a lot some in the cast went underused (such as Jessie) and some beats did feel like repeats from the second film even though in some cases they might've been done better It is still a very well done film, though in some cases I think they overreached.

Something that does bug me is Lotso's defeat (which came off as a repeat of the prospector's defeat) and that the heroes mistakenly believes he got away. I also think it was a missed opportunity that they didn't have Barbie involved in the dump sequence; maybe she'd fallen into the dumpster as well, gotten separated from the gang and then return to defeat Lotso once he tries to make his escape and then, along with the rest of the gang, arrange for him to be locked into the caterpillar room as punishment or something (would've been pretty funny, I think).

Last edited:
Happy Halloween everybody!
Doo doo doo-do doo doo doo doo. Doo doo doo do-doo doo doo!

Thanks [MENTION=24053]Brad Lascelle[/MENTION] for posting the vids. And thanks again for consulting on the research, I hope you like how the project turned out, and don't object to too many of my calls. :P

The project would have been done earlier but there were a lot of problems with the video render. Some of the random blurriness I couldn't get rid of (without re-rendering everything), but I had to recut a couple scenes. The montage of Bart killing everyone in THOH27 looked absolutely awful. Need to figure out why it's doing that.

Something that does bug me is Lotso's defeat (which came off as a repeat of the prospector's defeat) and that the heroes mistakenly believes he got away. I also think it was a missed opportunity that they didn't have Barbie involved in the dump sequence; maybe she'd fallen into the dumpster as well, gotten separated from the gang and then return to defeat Lotso once he tries to make his escape and then, along with the rest of the gang, arrange for him to be locked into the caterpillar room as punishment or something (would've been pretty funny, I think).

Yeah, I'm not that in love with the ironic punishment they came up with for Lotso. Although I wasn't that high on what they did to Stinky Pete. I've always felt like Stinky Pete should've gotten what he wanted, to live in a display box in Japan where the guests don't even really notice him or anything. Lotso, I'm not sure what they should have done instead. He could have gotten destroyed at the dump, but that's doesn't feel strong enough. Probably some ironic variation on his, "No child has ever loved a toy" shtick. I like that he ditched everyone in the end, though, wouldn't change that part at least.

I don't mind that they didn't send Barbie to the incinerator scene because it makes her and Ken's reformation of Sunnyside a little cleaner. And also, maybe this is unfair, but I kind of like that the incinerator scene only had the returning characters from 2. That might just be nostalgia talking. Barbie definitely has a big enough role in 3 to warrant a spot there.

Last edited:
It’s surprising that SLH has never been killed in a THOH. Guess the writers decided that even in a THOH it’d be too much of a bummer.

It’s surprising that SLH has never been killed in a THOH. Guess the writers decided that even in a THOH it’d be too much of a bummer.
To be fair, he was fused with Snowball II in one of the segments. The end result was literally the very epitome of "too much of a bummer".

CsFuqsSDLBLFbflNcSRa88vp58k=.gif

Jims has finally reached my namesake

Gonna go ahead and post this one since that one’s a sequel to this one:

Back