I'm not sure what you find so great in Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie that makes it your favorite episode.

Apart from your number 9 this is a solid list. :gatorthumbsup:

Thank you!
And... well, no episode has ever captured the simplicity of Open Fire whilst maintaining the emotional warmth and charming humour, except maybe Bart vs Thanksgiving but that feels a little more specific to certain people and points in life.
I think how simple it is is mostly why I love it so much, it has no plot except just simply celebrating Christmas without much money, something the majority of people/families can relate to at some point in their lives. Season 1 and 2 were probably the only extremely realistic seasons but each episode had some sort of hook around them but Open Fire did not.

And here's an overview I copied from my classic era reviews:

The episode is filled to the brim with emotional content, honestly making me feel down at times with other times bringing the smiles, grins and laughs.
An episode that has it all and one that does it flawlessly; the storyline flows incredibly naturally and you are genuinely emotionally invested in what happens to the family and Homer.
I'm one of those people who prefers plot, emotion and character in The Simpsons with humour just as a side note, which may explain why I adore this episode so much.

Last edited:
disagree with 3 and 6 but besides that it's pretty good
Pac-man.png

You disagree with Bart on the Road? That's one of the best episodes ever and in my top 10 as well,

I'm not sure what you find so great in Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie that makes it your favorite episode.

Not quite sure where to begin with this... I mean, it's just perfect television.
The episode contains every single Simpson character at their absolute peak and is both emotional, hilarious, memorable and quotable.
There's a Bart/Lisa plot about the movie which involves the school kids and the town and many satirical moments that ultimately turns into a parenting episode, often missed since the glory days of these episodes in Season 1.
Homer has a flawless characterisation here where he suddenly decides that Bart needs to be punished this time, and becomes a fuse between a stern authority figure and the Homer we all know and love trying to break out and let his son do whatever he wants. We see him wanting to break so badly but cannot because he knows its for the better nature of his child. It's about Marge and Homer's relationship too and the struggle between the family and how Marge sees Homer needs to do this.

It starts perfect with the parent's evening opening and the Bart/Lisa/Grandpa scenes and that lasts until the equally perfect finale with the future sequence between Homer and Bart tying it up with emotion and humour all at once.

No other episode is this flawless throughout containing every single thing you (or at least I ) could want from a Simpson's episode.
It's ultimately quite a simplistic episode that strips back to what The Simpsons was originally all about but it covers so much ground, plot and humour that it is elevated above every other episode.
Emotion, humour, relateability, a future sequence, characters and a beloved undertone of parenting, marriage, siblings, friendship and the relationship between father and son - it has it all.

itchy and scratchy movie is really high on my list too. it's pretty much perfect. great animation, humor, emotion. fantastic piece of TV

Damn... for a second, I thought "never before seen" referred to episodes you hadn't seen.

I nearly fell off my bed.

Bath on the Road is my #1 favorite episode so it's nice to see it so high up.

I haven't posted my top 10 yet so...
Lisa's sub
HOMR
And Maggie makes three
Homer's triple bypass
The Telltale Head
Simpsons Roasting on an open fire
When Flanders Failed
Mr. Plow
Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy
Itchy and Scratchy: The movie
Note: the above 10 are in no particular order

I could watch a marathon of that list

Good list. I don´t think Roasting is that amazing but i can see why you included it on your list.

8th Commandment has always been one of my least favorites of the classic period, tbh. Funny, but I dislike Lisa's characterisation.

Still a top list, tho. Season 4 deserves all the love.

Season 1 and 2 were probably the only extremely realistic seasons but each episode had some sort of hook around them but Open Fire did not.

Haha I dunno man, Treehouse of Horror wasn't very realistic or plot-focused :P

Back