2019 NHC Summer Music Showdown (VOTING THREAD: RESULTS)

Smiling Politely

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Welcome to the NHC's 2019 Summer music showdown! You will have the usual three days to vote in each round. Even if you haven't submitted a track, please feel welcome to vote. We have a total of 64 songs between 18 participants.

1. [MENTION=49962]Smiling Politely[/MENTION]
2. [MENTION=13089]jim[/MENTION]
3. [MENTION=32807]Nwordpassforsale[/MENTION]
4. [MENTION=32798]Bart's treehouse[/MENTION]
5. [MENTION=66897]Mr. Teenie[/MENTION]
6. [MENTION=20302]Shaunbadia[/MENTION]
7. [MENTION=61725]Tromboon[/MENTION]
8. [MENTION=65804]ThatsAPaddlin[/MENTION]
9. [MENTION=38730]tyler[/MENTION]
10. [MENTION=62459]pilcrow[/MENTION]
11. [MENTION=14077]box elder[/MENTION]
12. [MENTION=70321]scully apologist[/MENTION]
13. [MENTION=45949]The Spruce Moose[/MENTION]
14. [MENTION=69013]bias[/MENTION]
15. [MENTION=48254]1010011010[/MENTION]
16. [MENTION=78359]cam[/MENTION]
17. [MENTION=46458]The Thompsons[/MENTION]
18. [MENTION=53986]OldSchoolerSimpsons[/MENTION]

Happy listening! :jam:

ROUND 1A
Round will end at 7pm eastern time on Wednesday, July 3.

Princess Cruiser - Tongo Hiti
vs
Sonic Youth - Green Light

Nastyfacts - Get to You
vs
Muthoni Drummer Queen – Suzie Noma

Richard Russell ft. Infinite - Be My Friend
vs
Turquoise - Parabole 

Cody ChesnuTT - Can't Get No Betta'
vs
Brendon Small – The Agenda

Tove Stryrke – On the Low
vs
Naskarmoney- #Steal

Steve Gibbons Band – Big JC
vs
The Berries - Chains of Hate

Faith No More – Helpless
vs
Boy Harsher - Come Closer

Crumb – Plants
vs
Mansionair - Alibi

1. Princess Cruiser - "Tongo Hiti"
2. Nastyfacts - "Get to You"
3. Turquoise - "Parabole"
4. Cody ChesnuTT - "Can't Get No Betta'"
5. Naskarmoney- "#Steal"
6. Steve Gibbons Band – "Big JC"
7. Boy Harsher - "Come Closer"
8. Crumb – "Plants"

Match #8 is actually the most upsetting thing in this round because it's the only one where I genuinely like both songs a ton. Everything else was either incredibly one-sided for me or a case of picking the lesser of two evils.

1. Princess Cruiser - Tongo Hiti
2. Nastyfacts - Get to You
3. Richard Russell ft. Infinite - Be My Friend
4. Cody ChesnuTT - Can't Get No Betta'
5. Tove Stryrke – On the Low
6. The Berries - Chains of Hate
7. Boy Harsher - Come Closer
8. Crumb – Plants

1. Sonic Youth - Green Light (Both decent enough songs, even though I wouldn't call either outstanding. Bit of a toss-up pick. What fascinated me the most however is how much Kim Gordon looks like Michael McKean on that album backside cover.)
2. Nasty Facts - Get To You (Solid punk. The other song is okay.)
3. Turquoise - Parable (For some reason the former song was blocked in my country, so I had to go to Spotify to listen to it instead :-X Anyway, this is the first match-up where both songs are good. I'm gonna give the slight edge to Parable though.)
4. Brendon Small - The Agenda (Betta is a pretty nice song, but there's not even a contest here. Brendon Small is so immensely talented. DETHKLOK LIVES!)
5. Tove Styrke - On The Low (Styrke has a very smooth and soft voice which makes her song pleasant to listen to. Steal... isn't bad or anything, but that autotune voice really does nothing for me.)
6. Steve Gibbons - Big JC (I like the other song too, but Steve Gibbons is one of, if not the most underrated pop musician of all time. Easy pick.)
7. Faith No More - Helpless (Faith No More in the showdown? "I never felt better now." Come Closer is really weird, but interesting. Would fit right in with a cyberpunk sci-fi film.)
8. Crumb - Plants (I didn't know Robert Crumb made music! :cool: This was a very tricky match. I actually had to listen to both tracks twice to really be sure what to choose. I think I slightly prefer Plants, but I seriously considered flipping a coin.)

No stinkers, and some really good ones. Overall, a good round.

1. Sonic Youth - Green Light
2. Muthoni Drummer Queen – Suzie Noma
3. Turquoise - Parabole (by default; Russell song blocked and i don't have the time nor mind to go searching for it)
8. Crumb – Plants

3. Richard Russell ft. Infinite - Be My Friend
5. Naskarmoney- #Steal
8. Mansionair - Alibi

3. Turquoise - Parabole
8. Mansionair - Alibi

1.Sonic Youth - Green Light (sometimes u forget how good sonic youth is)
2.Nastyfacts - Get to You (this was great. Popper poppy goodness)
3.Turquoise - Parabole (both fine)
4.Cody ChesnuTT - Can't Get No Betta (very easy and not just because Small was horrible. CC was great)
5.Naskarmoney- #Steal (chill vibe slapper)
6.The Berries - Chains of Hate (the other artist really likes bob dylan. Berries slapped)
7.Boy Harsher - Come Closer (would’ve been better without vocals)
8. Crumb – Plants (both kinda just there. End of crumb’s tune gave it the edge tho)

1. princess cruiser: bit of a cheat in my personal view to be nomming stuff from the most acclaimed youth rekkids. shruggity shrug. this reminds me of pastiche tropicalia songs like beck made on mutations.

2. nastyfacts: the first-album-hanson twink-ass vocals only add to the sheer pogoing joy of this punchy tunage. other track struck me as faceless, good video tho

3. turquoise: both nice but im always gonna swoon a little harder for some cocteau twins flavored dream pop.

4. cody chestnutt: look im sorry brendon i so appreciate what you've given me in life but take this sumerian records shit back to 2012 where it belongs, and i liked dethklok cheesy as it was. chestnutt was stellar quirked minimalism, as intricate as it is spacious.

5. na$karmoney: wokeuptofellastalkinglikemetalk. pierre came out here on this tho, instant all encompassing vibe and whoever na$kar is he's got a discernible energy less lethargic than your cartis but capable of similar moods. tove i just im sorry ive had enough of these chipmunk gals singing like they're tryna make their own nightcore remix.

6. the berries: no contest, bob dylan already exists and rarely sounds quite this frivolous.

7. boy harsher: if you gotta go 80s goth synth go all the way and this shit sounds like whips and chains, blade runner and pretty hate machine and it makes me wanna not do bdsm cuz im scared and very weak physically but dance ill just dance instead. you could have probably not picked a worse fnm song.

8. mansionair: surprising, maybe my fav all round. a little tender dream folk vocalizing set against mayday sirens and bludgeoned bleeding bass blasts, the texuring and disparity is so satisfying, the whole build works for me. this is only a shame because crumb are dope. sigh gotta go with my heart tho. or well my ears.

1. Princess Cruiser (really couldn’t get into green light tbh. Do enjoy the insanity of it, just not something I wanna listen to.)

2. Nasty Facts (was tempted to put Suzie Noma over it. facts is a bit throwaway, but it is also really upbeat and catchy, so I’ll give it that)

3. Be My Friend (did enjoy turquoise, synth vocals + instrumentals. Be My Friend kept me a little more interested overall)

4. The Agenda (betta was pleasant, good song for an old car radio. Love the prog rock pauses and vibe of agenda. Prob not the best song from that album to listen to stand alone…My Name is Murder or Could This Be the End would’ve been easier picks)

5. #steal (low was ok, despite being a breeeatthy female voice song. Liked the vibe in #steal more)

6. Chains of Hate (despite being a bob Dylan ripoff, i liked Big J.C.. Hate had sick guiitars tho, also just a better song)

7. Come Closer (both songs were pretty repetitive. Taking 80’s drums/synths/fx > ok goth song, tho the lofi choruses and whistling were cool touches)

8. Alibi (legitimately loved this one, agree w/ kaos on it being the best this round. Plants sounds like most other lofi chill songs. Not bad though, outro was cool)

1. Sonic Youth - Green Light
3. Turquoise - Parabole
4. Brendon Small – The Agenda
5. Naskarmoney- #Steal
7. Faith No More – Helpless (could go either way depending on mood, good match-up)
8. Mansionair - Alibi

1- princess cruiser
2- nasty facts
3- turquoise (lmao at that cover)
4- cody chesnuTT
5- na$karmoney (where was the door creak,,,,anyway huge beat)
6- the berries (very epic,)
7- boy harsher
8- crumb

1. Sonic Youth
2. Nastyfacts
3. Turquoise
4. Cody ChesnuTT
5. Na$karmoney
6. The Berries
7. Boy Harsher
8. Crumb

1- Sonic Youth (both amazing)
2- Muthoni Drummer Quuen
3- Turquoise (very chill)
4- Cody ChestnuTT
5- Tove Stryrke (nice)
6- The Berries
7- Faith No More (for all the derision, I sorta dug this)
8- Mansionair (a strong end to the round, i like both but thissss is my sort of thing for sure)

FINALLY found time to listen!

1. Sonic Youth - Green Light (Not my favourite Sonic Youth song by a long stretch but its still Sonic Youth and its still good shit. The other track was pleasant enough but didn't really go anywhere or do anything for me.)
2. Nasty Facts - Get To You (Both were okay, neither exceptional)
3. Richard Russell ft. Infinite - Be My Friend (Feel like Parabole would probably grow on me with more listens but Be My Friend had immediacy on it's side)
4. Cody ChesnuTT - Can't Get No Betta' (Made easy by the fact I couldn't get into the other one at all. Just not my genre and never will be I'm afraid)
5. Tove Stryrke – On the Low (Simple, minimalist pop. Possibly a bit disposable but I like)
6. The Berries - Chains of Hate (I'm a pre big Dylan, as most of you know, but Big JC was waaaaaay to 'Dylan-esque'. Just sounded like one of his outtakes. Will be listening to Chains of Hate again, definitely my cup of tea)
7. Boy Harsher - Come Closer (Not something I would normally listen to but it was a more interesting track. Pleasantly surprised overall. The other track was okay too)
8. Crumb – Plants (Rated both but it has to go to Plants. My favourite song of the round. There's something really charming and infectious about it and I'll definitely be exploring more of their work)

3. Turquoise - Parabole
4. Brendon Small – The Agenda
8. Mansionair - Alibi

I actually really enjoyed most of the songs this round, and genuinely enjoyed just listening through them. Eight was the closest match of the lot.

ROUND 1A IS CLOSED.

I lost track of the days of the week, so I'm sorry there were no mentions. Looks like nearly everyone got their votes in anyway. Results and 1B to come in a few.

TIE BREAKERS NEEDED. Anyone who hasn't voted can break the tie.
[MENTION=61725]Tromboon[/MENTION] [MENTION=65804]ThatsAPaddlin[/MENTION] [MENTION=69013]bias[/MENTION]

Tove Stryrke – On the Low (8)
vs
Naskarmoney- #Steal (8)

Crumb – Plants (8)
vs
Mansionair – Alibi (8)

ROUND 1A RESULTS

Princess Cruiser - Tongo Hiti (9)
vs
Sonic Youth - Green Light (7)

Eliminated: Sonic Youth - Green Light (Nominated by: [MENTION=13089]jim[/MENTION])

Nastyfacts - Get to You (12)
vs
Muthoni Drummer Queen – Suzie Noma (4)

Eliminated: Muthoni Drummer Queen – Suzie Noma (Nominated by: [MENTION=49962]Smiling Politely[/MENTION])

Richard Russell ft. Infinite - Be My Friend (4)
vs
Turquoise - Parabole (12)

Eliminated: Richard Russell ft. Infinite - Be My Friend (Nominated by: [MENTION=62459]pilcrow[/MENTION])

Cody ChesnuTT - Can't Get No Betta' (12)
vs
Brendon Small – The Agenda (4)

Eliminated: Brendon Small – The Agenda (Nominated by: [MENTION=48254]1010011010[/MENTION])

Tove Stryrke – On the Low (9)
vs
Naskarmoney- #Steal (8)

Eliminated: Naskarmoney- #Steal (Nominated by: [MENTION=32807]Nwordpassforsale[/MENTION])

Steve Gibbons Band – Big JC (2)
vs
The Berries - Chains of Hate (14)

Eliminated: Steve Gibbons Band – Big JC (Nominated by: [MENTION=53986]OldSchoolerSimpsons[/MENTION])

Faith No More – Helpless (3)
vs
Boy Harsher - Come Closer (13)

Eliminated: Faith No More – Helpless (Nominated by: [MENTION=53986]OldSchoolerSimpsons[/MENTION])

Crumb – Plants (8)
vs
Mansionair – Alibi (9)

Eliminated: Crumb – Plants (Nominated by: [MENTION=66897]Mr. Teenie[/MENTION])

1. S. Tsintsadze - Sachidao
2. ROMderful ft. Jay Prince - Catch Me?
3. Ultramagnetic MC's – Travelling At The Speed Of Thought
4. Ulver - Southern Gothic
5. Mahalia - No Pressure
6. Anri - Windy Summer
7. Kate Bush - Violin
8. Cautious Clay - Sidewinder

1. S. Tsintsadze - Sachidao
2. Lesbians on Ecstasy - Tell Me Does She Love the Bass
3. Ultramagnetic MC's – Travelling At The Speed Of Thought
4. Ulver - Southern Gothic
5. Swirilies - Vigilant Always
6. Anri - Windy Summer
7. Kate Bush – Violin
8. The Fall – Leave the Capitol

1. S. Tsintsadze (Classic classical. It's not the best I've ever heard, but nice to listen to. There's a potentionally really good song with Ana Make Da World, but Tinimaine lets the instruments do the lifting instead of his own voice. Outside of the main chorus, it's next-to-impossible to hear what he's saying, which got distracting. It's kind of a shame, otherwise this might've gotten my vote instead.)
2. ROMderful - ft. Jay Prince - Catch Me? (Catch Me is good ol' chill rap. Lesbians On Ectasy was maybe more interesting overall, but in general it's not really to my taste. I can still appreciate it on an artistic level though. And gotta love when the singer sounds like she's having an orgasm.)
3. Ultramagnetic MC's - Travelling At The Speed Of Thought (Very close call! A great song from the golden age of rap or a beautiful, moody one? Although I lean towards the former, In Memory is very worth listening to as well.)
4. Ulver - Southern Gothic (Pãde is Icelandic, right? Cool. Both songs have a good feel to them, but the one Southern Gothic has is the kind I like the most.)
5. Swirlies - Vigilant Always (I'm not crazy about either song, but I think I prefer Vigilant. Neither of them are bad or anything, just not something I'd go out of my way to listen to.)
6. Anri - Windy Summer (Yeah, easy pick. Janitor was actually kinda annoying to listen to at times.)
7. Dorian Electra - Man To Man (It's fine. Another one of the weaker match-ups.)
8. The Fall - Leave The Capitol (Sidewinder is just very forgettable. Leave The Capitol is okay.)

Overall, this round was not as strong as the first one. Although there were standouts, they're fewer than usual. The second half has nothing in particular that impressed me all that much. Nothing outright bad at least (though I did come close to disliking Janitor), but the only match where I really liked both songs is the third one.

Last edited:
Back