2018 NHC Summer Music Showdown (RESULTS)

Smiling Politely

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Welcome to the NHC's 2018 Summer music showdown! You will have the usual three days to vote in each round. Even if you haven't submitted a track, please feel welcome to vote. We have a total of 64 songs between 16 participants.

1. [MENTION=49962]Smiling Politely[/MENTION]
2. [MENTION=20302]Shaunbadia[/MENTION]
3. [MENTION=78359]2 Anxiety Online[/MENTION]
4. [MENTION=32807]Lebron's Hairline[/MENTION]
5. [MENTION=49859]tormented[/MENTION]
6. [MENTION=38730]kaos[/MENTION]
7. [MENTION=32798]where's the lamb saaaauuuce[/MENTION]
8. [MENTION=66897]Mr. Teenie[/MENTION]
9. [MENTION=13089]Tinselled Jim[/MENTION]
10. [MENTION=56353]deadname[/MENTION]
11. [MENTION=69013]bias[/MENTION]
12. [MENTION=46658]zach[/MENTION]
13. [MENTION=46458]The Thompsons[/MENTION]
14. [MENTION=14077]box elder[/MENTION]
15. [MENTION=62459]peyrin[/MENTION]
16. [MENTION=47429]Frightened Inmate No. 2[/MENTION]

Happy listening! :jam:

ROUND 1A
Round ends on Wednesday July 4, at 1pm eastern time.

The Clientele - The Neighbor
vs
Black Sheep - To Whom It May Concern

Al Green - So Good to Be Here
vs
Leonard Bernstein - Slava! A Political Overture

The Parachute Club - Walk to the Rhythm of Your Heartbeat
vs
Budgie - L ast Train To Shinjuku

Pool Boy - Sad Groove
vs
Azymuth - A Presa

Thed Jewel – Fuschia
vs
Jimmy Wopo – Patty Cake (Kodack Black Remix)

Kazumoto Endo – Itabashi Girl
vs
Bruce Springsteen - Winter Song

Bob Edmund - Saturday Thought
vs
Youth Killed It - What's So Great, Britain?

Mikal Cronin - Get Along
vs
Caroliner Rainbow Open Wound Chorale - Burdensome Blood

1. Black Sheep - To Whom It May Concern (I feel like I may have voted for the other song if it were in a different round. It was decent but not particularly memorable)
2. Al Green - So Good to Be Here (Good stuff yo)
3.The Parachute Club - Walk to the Rhythm of Your Heartbeat (More good stuff yo)
4. Azymuth - A Presa (The other song went on a bit too long for me. Plus I find this one more interesting in general)
5. Thed Jewel – Fuschia (Two great hip hop songs that I wish could both go through. But I guess I prefer this one more)
6. Bruce Springsteen - Winter Song (I guess)
7. Bob Edmund - Saturday Thought (I wanted to like the other song because of its Britishness but it just didn't do anything for me.)
8. Mikal Cronin - Get Along (This song was right up my alley. The other song... wasn't. Probably the easiest match of the round.)

winners in BOLD my dudes

1- The Clientele, very mellow, psychedelic vibe here, especially like the vocalist's sighing sorta tone. Black Sheep - some interesting lyrics here, never heard pap smears reffed ina rap before. I'm not hugely enamored with either really. Gonna give it to Black sheep purely because of the guy that comes in at 2:25 and reinvigorates it.

2- Al Green is pre cool, not gonna lie. Leonard Bernstein - sounds like a disney theme at one point. Uhh i dunno about this, I'm not sure I can get down with this, its quite lively buttt- gotta give it to big Al

3- Parachute Club - yeah this is my shit, cool jazzy eighties shit. Really funky stuff. Budgie - well this sounds like a gran turismo pause screen or something. It's ok, a little moody and ambient.

4- Pool Boy is ok, minimalist sound which unfortunately kinda bores me quite quickly. Another quite similar affair with Azymuth, this one is a bit quirkier tho, not sure what instruments are playing at one point.

5- Thed Jewel - Niceee, this is decent. Jimmy Wopo , nice namedrop of queen latifah :lawl:. Very cool sound

6- Kazumoto Endo - oh shitttt, some industrial shit going on here, my head hurts. The underlying sound is good tho, would be good without the constant distortion. Bruce The Boss Springsteen

7- Bob Edmund - helll yess is this some real rockin'. Youth Killed it - sounds like a world cup anthem, which is something I can get behind, lyrically its a bit basic is my one criticism. Its ok tho

8- Mikal Cronin - yep, this is the goodshit. Got that indie-ish feelgood vibe. Caroliner Rainbow - well its kooky, sorta like the weird mousey squealing chorus, also sorta hate it?

1. Black Sheep - "To Whom It May Concern"
2. Al Green - "So Good to Be Here"
3. The Parachute Club - "Walk to the Rhythm of Your Heartbeat"
4. Azymuth - "A Presa"
5. Jimmy Wopo – "Patty Cake (Kodack Black Remix)"
6. Bruce Springsteen - "Winter Song"
7. Youth Killed It - "What's So Great, Britain?"
8. Mikal Cronin - "Get Along"

vs
(very close to going with black sheep. clientele song is a little too busy and definitely too long, but i like the melody)

vs
(al green almost seems too huge/iconic to really belong in this game, but bernstein aint exactly unknown either and green is just way more my cup of tea)

vs
Budgie - L ast Train To Shinjuku
(pretty close musically, but an album called "panty soakers 3" is enough to push me in the other direction)

Pool Boy - Sad Groove
vs
Azymuth - A Presa

(didn't feel super strongly about either of these one way or the other, but Azymuth sounded like the soundtrack to a 70s movie i'd really enjoy so it gets the edge)

Thed Jewel – Fuschia
vs
(thed jewel was just way more interesting to me. feel like i've seen things exactly like patty cake a million times)

vs
(again, i feel like springsteen is probably not a great fit for this thing. i also really wasn't feeling kazumoto endo. i appreciate what they were going for, but it didn't work for me at all. that being said, i'd rather vote for a failed experiment than a particularly boring bruce springsteen song)

vs
(no strong feelings either way. just liked the bob edmund a bit more)

Mikal Cronin - Get Along
vs
(i actually didn't mind the caroliner rainbow song that much, but yeah the tiny tim on steroids vocals just kills it, sorry. also mikal cronin rules)

01. The Clientele - The Neighbor
02. Al Green - So Good to Be Here
03. The Parachute Club - Walk to the Rhythm of Your Heartbeat
04. Azymuth - A Presa
05. Jimmy Wopo - Patty Cake (Kodack Black Remix)
06. Bruce Springsteen - Winter Song
07. Youth Killed It - What's So Great, Britain?
08. Mikal Cronin - Get Along

1. Black Sheep - To Whom It May Concern
2. Leonard Bernstein - Slava! A Political Overture
3. The Parachute Club - Walk to the Rhythm of Your Heartbeat
4. Pool Boy - Sad Groove
5. Thed Jewel – Fuschia
6. Bruce Springsteen - Winter Song
7. Bob Edmund - Saturday Thought
8. Mikal Cronin - Get Along

2. Al Green - So Good to Be Here
4. Azymuth - A Presa
5. Jimmy Wopo – Patty Cake (Kodack Black Remix)

haha, opened this up for the first time and was just getting ragged on for some song i didn't even submit.

ROUND 1A

vs

vs

vs
Budgie - Last Train To Shinjuku

Pool Boy - Sad Groove
vs
Azymuth - A Presa

Thed Jewel – Fuschia
vs

vs

vs

Mikal Cronin - Get Along
vs

1. The Clientele - The Neighbor
4. Pool Boy - Sad Groove
5. Thed Jewel – Fuschia
6. Kazumoto Endo – Itabashi Girl
8. Caroliner Rainbow Open Wound Chorale - Burdensome Blood

3. Budgie - Last Train To Shinjuku
4. Azymuth - A Presa

4. Pool Boy - Sad Groove

4. Pool Boy - Sad Groove
5. Thad Jewel - Fuchsia
7. Youth Killed It - What’s So Great, Britain?

ROUND 1A

Budgie - Last Train To Shinjuku

Pool Boy - Sad Groove

Mikal Cronin - Get Along

4. Azymuth - A Presa
5. Thed Jewel – Fuschia
7. Youth Killed It - What's So Great, Britain?

5 was probably the hardest match, really dig both tunes. 6 was conflicting in that I preferred one but was more intrigued by the other. Gonna need to hear more from Kazumoto Endo, Azymuth, and Caroliner Rainbow Open Wound Chorale (which is probably my favourite new listen).

4. Pool Boy - Sad Groove

1. The Clientele (both great songs. Since they're both even have to go with the new find)
2. Al Green (easy. Other song is Not the type of classical I really like)
3. The Parachute Club (zzzzzz matchup)
4. Pool Boy (my mans)
5. Jimmy Wopo (RIP. Other song is okay but but it's a bit too much like the hip hop you get recommended when someone finds out you're a queer hip hop fan)
6. Kazumoto Endo (not the best representation of The Boss. I do like the forward momentum and accessibility the Endo track has.
7. Bob Edmund (both aren't good)
8. Mikal Cronin (it's a good ty seagal song)

1.Black Sheep - To Whom It May Concern (close match bothgood)
2.Al Green - So Good to Be Here (probably the easiest of the round)
3.Budgie - Last Train To Shinjuku (both pretty meh)
4.Pool Boy - Sad Groove (banger)
5.Jimmy Wopo – Patty Cake (Kodack Black Remix) (huuuge track)
6. Kazumoto Endo – Itabashi Girl (I love the boss but that's not what he's good at)
7.Youth Killed It - What's So Great, Britain? (Neither all that good)
8. Mikal Cronin - Get Along (pre good)

[MENTION=67747]k e l l y[/MENTION] wanted to vote, and I still need votes from [MENTION=49859]tormented[/MENTION] [MENTION=56353]deadname[/MENTION] [MENTION=69013]bias[/MENTION]

There's a little over 6 hours left to vote, but I may leave it open a bit longer since the site has been down off and on, and today is a holiday in the US so some folks may be busy.

the clientele

easy for me if u know my music taste. clientele sorta reminds me of ween if anythin. great song to start the showdown with. black sheep was fine i guess but it was so disjointed it felt kinda annoying and hard to listen to. i appreciate the beat, but if it wasn’t so chopped up i’d probably support this song way more. i liked the saxophone bits chucked in there too, but again not enough of the good to outweigh the not so much bad as boring

leonard bernstein

me, voting for an orchestral piece. such is life i guess. really appreciated al green, although it took a lil bit for his voice to grow on me. really smooth and chill song. leonard bernstein however, wow. held my attention right from the start and had me on the edge of my proverbial seat wondering where the track was gonna head next. loved the intense build ups, and while i agree with the sentiment that it’s reminiscent of a disney movie piece, i also think it would fit fantastically into an adventure movie or video game soundtrack. has a real gung-ho forward march feel to it, really captivated me. good shit. also shout out to the hint of snares that rattled through the mid section, they were sick.

budgie

i thought it was gonna be tough as i started playing parachute club but nah this one goes to budgie. parachute club is so quintessentially 80s it’s almost nauseating. found myself checking my watch seeing how long i was gonna have to sit around tapping my foot and bopping my head to this formulaic and pre much average track. like, don’t get me wrong, the track does what it does well. it’s a perfect vibe if you’re looking for something like that. unfortunately i’m not, and the track didn’t do much for me. i do appreciate the accent of the vocalist however. i loved budgie. hints of different instruments weaving themselves through the track. loved the groove it locks itself into. wish it had gone longer tbh, and it ends sorta abruptly and weird. no matter. definitely liked it more than parachute club, mainly because i’ve heard stuff like parachute club every time i go out to a local 80s night. deep cut 80s works, but only if that’s your vibe !

pool boy

eesh both of these songs left exactly 0 impression on me. forgot to vote for either and now i’m back to vote both are so shrug worthy i’m gonna toss a point to pool boy

jimmy wopo

this one was suuuuper tough. both of them were super good tracks and both have different shit to offer. thed jewel has a delivery like someone from odd future and a beat made by someone like NAH. pretty great shit. jimmy wopo was super feel good, had me bopping along like crazy. really tough match up, gonna give a point to wopo. RIP man

kazumoto endo

would rather have my skull split open by somebody fuckin around with their transistor n causing static than some boring ass springsteen deep cut. if i wanted sun kil moon, i would listen to sun kil moon. plus i liked the sample that was buried under all the static in that kazumoto song. never really been a fan of industrial shit but this makes me wanna go hear more.

youth killed it

easy shit for me again, my music taste bein what it is. not to say i didn’t like bob edmund, but that beep boop beep boop shit got on my nerves and kinda dropped the track down a few notches in my mind. definitely appreciated the guitar work and the vocals being delivered like he’s a few feet away from the mic. gives a good vibe to the track. but, as you all know, i’m a sucker for the sorta shit youth killed it play. reminds me of frank turner and other similar bands. love this sorta stuff : )

mikal cronin

like i’m no stranger to wack shit u can find on the internet, but caroliner rainbow pushes a bit too far into the Too weird for me. i mean sure the instrumentation was solid but fuck those vocals grated on me. if u can stomach this fair play to u. mikal cronin is some easy breezy track id probably listen to if i didn’t already listen to 1000 other things like it. pre much wins by default tho yikes

1. The Clientele - The Neighbor (I like both. tough match)
2. Al Green - So Good to Be Here (the other track is okay, but there's only so much of it I can hear before it starts to really grate)
4. Azymuth - A Presa
5. Jimmy Wopo – Patty Cake (Kodack Black Remix) (toughest match-up)
6. Bruce Springsteen - Winter Song (the other track is unlistenable, so sadly this wins by default)
7. Youth Killed It - What's So Great, Britain? (I like both, but I dig this just a little bit more)
8. Mikal Cronin - Get Along (the other one was kind of so-so)

2. Leonard Bernstein - Slava! A Political Overture (legit hard matchup for me but I'm a sucker for orchestral music, totally get that it's getting its ass whooped tho)

3. Budgie - Last Train To Shinjuku

4. Azymuth - A Presa

6. Bruce Springsteen - Winter Song (other track... yeah, no)

7. Youth Killed It - What's So Great, Britain?

ROUND 1A RESULTS

The Clientele - The Neighbor (13)
vs
Black Sheep - To Whom It May Concern (7)

Eliminated: Black Sheep - To Whom It May Concern (Nominated by: [MENTION=46458]The Thompsons[/MENTION])

Al Green - So Good to Be Here (13)
vs
Leonard Bernstein - Slava! A Political Overture (7)

Eliminated: Leonard Bernstein - Slava! A Political Overture (Nominated by: [MENTION=62459]peyrin[/MENTION])

The Parachute Club - Walk to the Rhythm of Your Heartbeat (15)
vs
Budgie - Last Train To Shinjuku (5)

Eliminated: Budgie - Last Train To Shinjuku (Nominated by: [MENTION=78359]2 Anxiety Online[/MENTION])

Pool Boy - Sad Groove (9)
vs
Azymuth - A Presa (11)

Eliminated: Pool Boy - Sad Groove (Nominated by: [MENTION=38730]kaos[/MENTION])

Thed Jewel – Fuschia (6)
vs
Jimmy Wopo – Patty Cake (Kodack Black Remix) (14)

Eliminated: Thed Jewel – Fuschia (Nominated by: [MENTION=49962]Smiling Politely[/MENTION])

Kazumoto Endo – Itabashi Girl (6)
vs
Bruce Springsteen - Winter Song (14)

Eliminated: Kazumoto Endo – Itabashi Girl (Nominated by: [MENTION=32798]where's the lamb saaaauuuce[/MENTION] )

Bob Edmund - Saturday Thought (12)
vs
Youth Killed It - What's So Great, Britain? (8)

Eliminated: Youth Killed It - What's So Great, Britain? (Nominated by: [MENTION=20302]Shaunbadia[/MENTION])

Mikal Cronin - Get Along (17)
vs
Caroliner Rainbow Open Wound Chorale - Burdensome Blood (3)

Eliminated: Caroliner Rainbow Open Wound Chorale - Burdensome Blood (Nominated by: [MENTION=56353]deadname[/MENTION])

1. Jestofunk - "Can We Live" (Feat. CeCe Rogers)
2. Joey Fatts feat Vince Staples – "Farrakhan"
3. Meiko Nakahara - "ココナッツの片思い"
4. U.S. Girls - "Mad as Hell"
5. Curren$y - "Stash House" (Feat. Freddie Gibbs)
6. MC Solaar - "Temps Mort"
7. Spice One - "In My Neighborhood"
8. Carl Carlton - "Dance With You"

1. A Great Big Pile of Leaves – Ambiversion
2. Joey Fatts feat Vince Staples – Farrakhan
3. Meiko Nakahara - ココナッツの片思い
4. U.S. Girls - Mad as Hell
5. Danny L Harle- 1UL
6. MC Solaar - Temps Mort
7. Spice One - In My Neighborhood
8. James Carr – Dixie Belle

Back