Search results

1. Jims

Is Lisa & Milhouse together creepy or endearing

I don't really want to get into a shipping war here or anything, but this has been on my mind for awhile. The show has hinted a lot that Lisa and Milhouse end up getting married, and have done plenty of teases of their potential relationship. Not just stuff like "Future-Drama" where they...
  2. Jims

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" vs "Higher and Higher"

(Inspired by c l o n e's "The Twist" vs "Let's Twist Again" thread from awhile back.) Here's the two songs. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Xz-UvQYAmbg "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" by Jackie Wilson GcwqCmEi9Jc Always associated these two...
  3. Jims

What do you talk to your parents about

Do you sometimes have trouble making small talk with your parents? Or just trying to come up with topics in general? Last weekend, I took a trip out of town with them to visit some relatives and spent 16 hours in the car with them total, so I've been thinking about this. I've noticed as I get...
  4. Jims

Gambling

I was reading about this CS:GO betting scandal that's been going on in the video game world, which made me think about gambling in general. Do you like to gamble? If you're not old enough yet, how do you feel about it in general? What do you like to play? Gambling has been one of those...
  5. Jims

Getting trapped in conversations with people

So what do you do when you get stuck in a real life conversation topic that you have absolutely no interest in? Online, it's really easy to avoid stuff you don't want to deal with at the moment, but face-to-face, I've been finding it kinda difficult lately. Do you act polite and try to not...
  6. Jims

"One Call Away" by Charlie Puth is the most boring pop song in history

Okay, there is a whiff of, "Pop music today is so awful!" in this post, but this Charlie Puth song is one of the most blisteringly awful songs I have ever heard in my life. With a lot of lame popular music today, I can genuinely stand to stomach it as my mix station plays it another time. But...
  7. Jims

Living in the city, suburbs, or the country

First of all, what kind of place do you currently live in? A large city, a suburban area, or out in the countryside? Secondly, have you ever lived in any of the others? Which do you like the most? I've mostly lived in the suburbs my entire life, but I had country living in Virginia until I...
  8. Jims

What are your favorite non-American TV shows

Re-starting the thread because I actually wanted to contribute a couple of examples to this topic. First off,
  9. Jims

Getting things done

I don't know about you, but I am a horribly lazy person. Mostly about random practical things that I put off forever, like buying a new pair of dress shoes when the current pair has a hole in it. Instead of buying a new pair right away, I'll suffer through several weeks of the old shoes before...
  10. Jims

The Martian

Did anyone see this? Saw it yesterday and thought it was great. Matt Damon is just fantastic in the role, hitting the right notes of seriousness about the situation but good-humored perspective as he goes about it. The casting in general is fantastic across the board... Loved seeing who they...
  11. Jims

NHC Fantasy Simpsons League - Classic Era Edition (Draft thread!)

We've got our 12 players, let's get to the draft. boodlesoup tombmented pkkaboo (DEFENDING CHAMPION) jaykaboo Financial Panther candy plunderer The Negative Ned Zone Frieza The Bloodsucker ghoulfella The Spruce Moose jack-o-elf Pax-o'-lantern As refresher, in this game...
  12. Jims

NHC Fantasy Simpsons League - Classic Era Edition (Sign-ups!)

Last year, we did a Fantasy Simpsons thingy where we all drafted a fantasy team of Simpsons episodes. Thought it was a fun little exercise, so let's give it another go. This time, we're going to construct our team of only Classic Era episodes. For the purposes of this game, we're going to be...
  13. Jims

Burnt food

I just opened a new package of crackers. To my delight, they were all slightly burnt. Or at least somewhat toasted brown, unlike the ghost white salty atrocities you sometimes get with saltine crackers. Do you guys like any foods slightly burnt or whatever? Maybe the crackers aren't a good...
  14. Jims

If you had to criminalize one, alcohol or marijuana?

Let's say you're elected president of a small weirdo country and the oddly and specifically Puritanical citizens required you to criminalize either alcohol or marijuana. Which would you make illegal? Either from a community standpoint or personal desire. Was discussing pot legalization in the...
  15. Jims

I like etched glasses

Went to a flea market a couple weeks ago and a toy vendor there had a whole selection of collectible drinking glasses with characters on them. Just so much random stuff in there, stuff from the 1970s, stuff from old movies, stuff from old cartoons and TV shows. Stuff like the old Muppet...
  16. Jims

How does NHC feel about mini-shopping carts

We're talking about these things. Not as long as the regular shopping carts but still has wheels. I ask because for some reason, I have a strong aversion to them. I don't know if they just look dumb or if they just scream, "I'm a lonely bachelor who shops for only himself" to all the other...
  17. Jims

Songs you like by bands you hate

I feel like we might've done this thread before but couldn't find it. It seems like the kind of thing we've already discussed. Every now and again, an artist or band will release a song that you begrudgingly have to like. The song just works for you, despite hating almost everything they have...
  18. Jims

Simulation games

SimCity, The Sims, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc. Do you like sim games? How in depth do you usually go with them? I got Cities: Skylines recently and have been thinking about the genre. For me, I really enjoy them in general but I always find myself having trouble sticking with them after...
  19. Jims

The NHC Top 100 Episodes (results!)

As mentioned in nomination thread, The Simpsons aired their first episode 25 years ago to this day, on December 17th, 1989. To celebrate this anniversary, we have been submitting our lists of our own personal lists of top Simpsons episodes, to settle once and for all, what is the greatest...
  20. Jims

Are you good at buying gifts for people?

I am the worst. Every year, I think to myself, "I'll be super observant during November and figure out what my parents and sisters actually need." And every December, I sit around trying to figure out how not to buy them gift cards. :(
Back