Search results

1. Sinister Burns

Guilty pleasures

Well, compared to the classic era I mean. My experience (maybe opinions have shifted in the last few years) has been that many people would consider the best post-classic season to be a distant second to the classic era as a whole, while I would consider 15 to be roughly on par with one of the...
  2. Sinister Burns

Guilty pleasures

I still really enjoy Homer Simpson in Kidney Trouble for some reason, even though Homer is unbelievably (and uncharacteristically) selfish. I also like season 15 as a whole, although it's a season that doesn't seem to get much love from the fans.
  3. Sinister Burns

Funny scenes/lines in "bad" episodes

Also from Simpson Safari: (The family gets trapped in a giant flower; Homer casually tears through one of the petals) Bart: Wow, Dad, how did you do that? Homer: It's a flower.
  4. Sinister Burns

I've been fine, though quite busy since I drifted away from the site, what with college and all...

I've been fine, though quite busy since I drifted away from the site, what with college and all. I decided to rewatch the entire series on Disney+, or in the case of many later seasons, watch them for the first time. Currently up to season 14. Rewatching the show made me think of NHC so I wanted...
  5. Sinister Burns

Hey Panther, how have you been? I've been lurking around here again for a couple of weeks and...

Hey Panther, how have you been? I've been lurking around here again for a couple of weeks and haven't seen many familiar usernames online besides yours.
  6. Sinister Burns

Where did you guys get your Simpsons DVDS?

I have all the seasons except for 18 and 19 (which I'm sure I will get eventually, if I spot a good bargain for them). I honestly have no idea where seasons 1-9 came from because my parents got them for me at various points and I was too young to remember or care. Got season 10 in Australia and...
  7. Sinister Burns

Al Jean's dislike for Oakley and Weinstein

I'd either never really considered this perspective, or just forgot about it (even though I posted in the thread linked in the OP all that time ago). It's an interesting one, especially when you lay out all the Jean era retcons of O&W era changes. It is worth pointing out, though, that it's...
  8. Sinister Burns

Ask Simpsons Questions Here (Jokes We Don't Get, Which Episode, etc.)

The story (as best I can remember it) goes that Dan Castellaneta's original voice for Homer was more or less a Walter Matthau impersonation, and when frustrated he would make an annoyed grunt that sounded something like "D'oooooh". Dan started replicating this sound but when the show was still...
  9. Sinister Burns

Are Seasons 11–12 part of Modern Simpsons?

If you want to divide the show into eras, this is as good a way as any. Seasons 11 and 12 are closer to the start of the series than where we are now, so you can't really call them modern. They're over 15 years old and don't really resemble the episodes that air these days.
  10. Sinister Burns

US Politics (Office of the Former President Appreciation Thread)

I can't see that Obama would play well with Roberts. But I suppose it wouldn't be without precedent. Also, real classy, Ted Cruz.
  11. Sinister Burns

acne

Have you tried isotretinoin (aka Accutane)? It's a prescription medication that I take for acne and it works for me.
  12. Sinister Burns

does it bother you when people correct your grammar?

As a fellow em-dash user, I must disagree. I think using two hyphens is perfectly acceptable, especially when using a typewriter (which has no dedicated em-dash key).
  13. Sinister Burns

does it bother you when people correct your grammar?

Yes, but only because it means I made a mistake somewhere in the first place.
  14. Sinister Burns

Is Season 10 part of the classic era?

Speak for yourself. If I believed in a "classic" era, season 9 at least would be in it.
  15. Sinister Burns

cool/interesting things you've recently learned/discovered

Taylor Swift won more Grammys in 2010 than Elvis Presley did in his entire twenty-four year career. That's kind of depressing.
  16. Sinister Burns

Do we have a fandom name?

Simpsophiles? It's about the closest thing I can come up with resembling Whovians or Twihards or some other fandom name. Not that we really need one.
  17. Sinister Burns

words that should be banished from this forum

We should ban the letter 'e'. "Uh... I'm a good work...guy--" "You're fired." "But I didn't say--!" "You will." "Eeeeeee!"
  18. Sinister Burns

Had a real chance to write for The Simpsons!!! Al Jean turned me down. What do you guys think?

Welcome to the world of writing for commercial television.
  19. Sinister Burns

Why do people hate comic sans?

Georgia for the win. It's stylistically very similar to Times New Roman but a little easier to read. I use it on every Word document I create unless my professors instruct otherwise (which, sadly, they tend to do). Comic Sans has its place, but that place is certainly not in any newspaper...
  20. Sinister Burns

Best Place To Start Watching The Simpsons?

Season 1 was fairly primitive, as you discovered. Season two and season three saw the character models cleaned up and set the visual tone of the show for the next ten years: http://s3cf.recapguide.com/img/tv/117/3x1/The-Simpsons-Season-3-Episode-1-1-31be.jpg In season 14, they stopped colouring...
Back