Search results

1. T

why is the simpsons so intensely honkified

i'm bemused that for all of its surgical satirical darts in its prime, the simpsons never turned it's knife onto race issues. perhaps this is a function of being written exclusively by rich cracker harvard graduates. of course i haven't watched the show in several seasons so maybe this issue...
  2. T

Season 16 Demands

So while I have these hostages here, I thought I'd make this thread. Trends you want discontinued, trends you want started, general needing-improvement areas, etcetera. Really, I have little to no specific complaints, other than I'd like to see the writing ratched down a notch or two tighter...
  3. T

attn: fox five no longer sucks

...much. I just post this because some of you (like me) probably gave up on this syndicate after "ram seasons 10-12 down throats, induce vomiting, repeat" for God knows how long. Well, I caught back up with it and there's been an even helping of season two-eight episodes for the past couple of...
  4. T

Nerdiscussion: Much Apu About Nothing

Another episode I don't see much love for, but is really a perfect example of why season seven is my favorite season. What’s beautiful about The Simpsons as a satire isn’t just that there are so many episodes that are masterpieces of satire in such a wide variety of issues and topics. One of...
  5. T

favorite simpsons article

Yes, there are far too many patronizing "Simpsons Cowabungas Their Way Past Ozzie and Harriet" type articles. But you can share here your favorite piece of Simpsons media. http://www.snpp.com/other/interviews/meyer00.html Thanks, Jimbo. Such a great article, actually personally affecting...
  6. T

Explain Your Ratings

Explain your grading system, not necessarily how you arrive at the grade, but what it means, whether you use 5/5 or whatever. If you slide your scale, make note. A+ : Extraordinary, even supernatural quality. Classic. A : Outstanding, nothing necessarily wrong with it, just doesn't have...
  7. T

showrunners

How are showrunners appointed? I have no clue at all and was wondering this recently. Little help?
  8. T

Kill The Alligator And Analyze

Like many here, I was initially repulsed by this episode, but I took occasion to dig a little deeper... The first thing we see is a harrowing portrait of mental illness. Homer, like so many of us, is taken aback by thoughts on mortality. His dementia is a portrait of delusion and paranoia ("I...
  9. T

Nerdiscussion: Homer vs. Lisa and the Eighth Commandment

Episode gets not nearly enough love. It's really one of the flagship episodes of the season; all of the elements that season two fans love crystallize here in this unassuming yet as-close-to-perfect-as-possible show. The pacing here is perfect (and then some) both in terms of developing the...
  10. T

Happy Birthday Al Jean

^^^ Celebrate the showrunner and longtime guy that works on The Simpsons' birthday. DO IT NOW
  11. T

Any Place But Home For The Holidays - Christmas Script

Penned by a loose coalition of NHCers, moi, Sloppy Jimbo and Jafar. Our Christmas gift to you. Non-refundable, non-returnable, but on the plus side it's flame retardant! Hoo huh huh huh! Any Place But Home For The Holidays For more Christmas fun, guess who wrote what segment.
  12. T

Nerdiscussion: Homer the Heretic

This is one of the most innocent, unassuming satires the show has ever done. Its ambiguity is such that it gives the viewer the chance to derive personal meaning from it. There are so many themes in this episode, intertwining, challenging each other, raising questions, and just providing a lot...
  13. T

138th Episode Spectacular vs. Spinoff Showcase vs. Behind the Laughter

All self-referential, existing-outside-the-canon episodes, and mock certain TV conventions, though BtL might be a stretch. Close enough for comparison anyway. 138th episode has less "new" material, but can't be called a clipshow, two clip montages aside. Anyway, I find it to be the best of...
  14. T

Not So Bad Religion

Script penned by yours truly and Mohammed Jafar. http://www.geocities.com/rabidweinerdog/kr222.rtf A real Super-Duper Thanks to the people we shamelessly gouged for feedback- Channel Surfer, Chris Pfeiler, StrideR... :rad: After fleecing the old folks home, Homer has an... experience that...
  15. T

What do you want from Season 15 and on?

Sexy dames and lots of 'em. Maaaaaatlock! Kickass Lauren McMullen direction Interesting new characters and settings Ned Flanders episode on par/surpassing Born Again Gimme an S! Gimme an Atire! Family based, charactercentric style, yet ambitious stories More Homer More impr-you've-ment...
  16. T

So What'cha Want

Post your Simpsons merchandise wishlist. - Tracey Ullman Shorts on DVD (weren't they supposed to put these on the Season One disc?) - Complete Itchy and Scratchy shorts DVD - Complete Simpsons Musical DVD
  17. T

new to this; help a brother out

Alright, here's the deal. I'm not sure what the protocol is or whatever, but I'm interested in some loose figures, if the price is right. I'm interested in 1) Kang/Kodos 2) THOH themed figures/set 3) Herman 4) Grampa If there are any other neat novelties out there let me know. I'm not sure...
  18. T

write a pop culture reference

Here's the deal. You write the parody/reference, and then the next person identifies it correctly, and has to do the same. And so on. No fair search engine usage. Setting: Moe's Tavern. Chief Wiggum enters. WIGGUM: Yeah, I'm lookin' for Jimmy Jazz. Any of you mugs seen him? MOE: Well...
  19. T

Bart Sells His Soul - An Analysis

1) I'm aware that there is no cute play on words in the thread title. 2) Chris Pfeiler has an excellent lengthy review of this episode. However, I've wanted to discuss this in depth here, and Cosmo Kramer requested it. 3) My little spill deals with religious elements that we probably don't...
  20. T

Sideshow Bob Roberts: Turkeys have left AND right wings?

This is an episode that many consider to be very liberal, myself included. At least until I really sat down and picked it apart, scene by scene. I think with some overt jabs, such as the Republican Party Headquarters, that the underlying theme of this is sometimes missed, or at least to my...
Back