Search results

1. Simpson Purist

NPR interviews Alf Clausen

NPR interview link. (It's an audio interview, the article is just a written summary. Click the "listen" button at the top of the page.) Pretty cool interview, it still makes me scratch my head on why he has yet to contribute to a DVD commentary. It also would've been nice to hear his thoughts...
  2. Simpson Purist

The CAP Movie Ministry rips the movie apart

In case you don't know, CAP Alert is a Christian-owned website that reviews movies and sees if there's a lot of objectionable content, in particular if there's offenses to God, the Bible, and things like that. Well, they took on The Simpsons Movie and, well, I'll let you see for yourself. My...
  3. Simpson Purist

What special features do you wanna see on the DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray?

This is partially inspired by IGN's proposed DVD special feature articles for the recent summer blockbusters. What special features would you like to see on the upcoming DVD release? Of course the technical specs are a must (2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, 5.1 sound, etc.). I dunno what cover...
  4. Simpson Purist

How about guest writers a la Norman Lear/South Park?

With the Writers' Guild requiring that one episode must be written by a person not on the writing staff, would you like to see hot shot writers like Larry David, Larry Gelbart, or Phillip Rosenthal take a crack at writing an episode of The Simpsons? The idea came up after I noticed that...
  5. Simpson Purist

SP's Episode Grudge Match: Raging Marge

Time for another match-up featuring episodes in which Marge confronts her temper. As for what I thought, I prefer Screaming Yellow Honkers mostly due to its depiction of road rage and of course the little poke at NBC at the end. I enjoyed Strong Arms of the Ma up until the third act. It's a...
  6. Simpson Purist

Do you think the criticism of season 1 is justified?

Reading the many Simpsons-related discussions, I've noticed a strong hatred for the "The Simpsons" inaugural season. When asked what season of "The Simpsons" was the worst, a majority of people picked the first season, citing "it was too sappy" and "the humor was non-existant." There were also...
  7. Simpson Purist

Rate/Review Futurama: The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings (Series Finale)

9/10 This episode was great! A great way to end the show yet not acting as a way to tie up every loose end. It started off slow, but it built up to a great climax and the last scene broke my heart.
  8. Simpson Purist

Better than 99% of TV, eh?

Is anyone else getting a little sick of this type of faint praise? I just find it annoying when someone says that the worst episode of The Simpsons (or any other great TV show, for that matter) is better than 99% of TV during that week, month, whatever. While it may be true to some of you...
  9. Simpson Purist

SP's Homer Sexual Episode Grudge Match!

Which of the two "Homer encounters a homosexual" episodes is superior? My vote goes to Homer's Phobia by a mile, although Three Gays of the Condo was pretty good too.
  10. Simpson Purist

Pray Anything re-airs 7/30

Here's another chance to catch what viewers thought was one of the best episodes of season 14. Airs at 8 PM/7 central this Wednesday.
  11. Simpson Purist

Should there be more 3D/CG animation?

A thought just occurred to me, what if The Simpsons used more 3D cel-shaded animation similar to the Planet Express ship or location flyarounds in Futurama? Would such a change be accepted?
  12. Simpson Purist

Emmys: What OFF will be facing off against for Animated Program

Here it is: The Simpsons - Three Gays of the Condo Futurama - Jurassic Bark Spongebob Squarepants - New Student Starfish/Clams Kim Possible - Crush As Told By Ginger - And She Was Gone Is it safe to say that this will once again be a battle between The Simpsons and Futurama? I guess the...
  13. Simpson Purist

Rate & Review: New Kids on the Blecch

1/10 I think Mr. Chris Pfieler sums up my feelings perfectly: As for why I gave it a point: 1. Homer sweating like Grampa 2. Super-liminal
  14. Simpson Purist

Rate & Review: Lisa the Vegetarian

All right, it's time to take look at an episode that has polarized audiences: Lisa the Vegetarian. Some think that this episode represents the epiphany of The Simpsons, it's full of great jokes, fun character moments, and has a rather interesting message. On the flip side, others believe that...
  15. Simpson Purist

Rate & Review: Homer the Vigilante

7/10 One of the weakest episodes of season 5 and like Homer Goes to College, it acted as a precursor for the show's "Golden Age." There's a lot of silliness present in this episode, not to mention one of the most non-sensical (albeit quite amusing) endings in the show's history.
  16. Simpson Purist

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror DVD - Sept. 2

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror DVD - Sept. 2 (Region 1) From dvdanswers.com: I find this release a little odd since it comes a week after season 3 hits DVD. I like the cover though, but I'll probably wait for the season box sets in order to watch those THOH episodes.
  17. Simpson Purist

The weakest link of Season 14

Now that we've decided which episode from season 14 was the best, it's time to decide which episode is the weakest. The poll choices were inspired by Hellbender's episode "tomatometer."
  18. Simpson Purist

SP's Episode Grudge Match: One Bart, Two Wars

It's been a long time, but it's time for another match between two episodes of a similar nature. This time it's between two Bart episodes that satirize the aspects of war and the absurdity of it all. Bart the General (#7G05) When Bart gets beat up by the school bully for defending Lisa...
  19. Simpson Purist

Seasons 10-12 vs. Family Guy

After watching Family Guy on DVD, I came to an odd realization that Family Guy shares many similarities with the peak of Mike Scully's reign on The Simpsons. Both contained disjointed plots that are filled with many irrelevant jokes, yet for some reason I laughed a lot more at Peter Griffin's...
  20. Simpson Purist

Rate/review The Why of Fry

9/10 Excellent, excellent episode that really could've been a great series finale. I liked how everything tied-in to what happened in past episodes (especially Space Pilot 3000 and Jurassic Bark). Two things bothered me a bit though. The Leela dating subplot is right out of the "Cyber House...
Back