Rate & Review: "Daddicus Finch" (YABF01)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
You should get another famous person to make a documentary.
Call this one "The Problem with Al Jean".
The first one got Apu silenced. Sounds like a recipe for success.
YX6ZTJ2.gif

You should get another famous person to make a documentary.
Call this one "The Problem with Al Jean".
The first one got Apu silenced. Sounds like a recipe for success.

Maybe we're tired of being told we need to do all the work to see any change? Al Jean is in a position of power and is solely responsible for his influence.

As for getting Al Jean silenced, what do we have to lose? Marge using trans slurs and Smithers making fisting jokes?

dunno why b*ad lascelle is on my ass. it's almost like he sucks up to a* jean on twit*er or something

The Simpsons has been on for almost 3 decades and its impressing how they can still write great most of the time. 5/5

The story is quite interesting and definitely original. +1

The Lisa and Homer episodes tend to be the strongest. It's nice of the show to reflect on a popular novel that influenced the 1960s in the US. +1

Bart feels neglected, so he decides to act out and it only gets interesting. +1

The ending where Homer is a machine and Bart's decision is hilarious. +1

Voice talents and animation are amazing as always. +1

There were a few too many jokes that didn't really land (Duffman, Shauna's bar mitzvah), which is a shame because they marred what was otherwise a sweet, funny story with its heart in the right place. This was only a few tweaks away from being the first 5/5 episode since "Halloween of Horror". B+

Good episode.
It's probably just me, but I didn't uderstand all To Kill a Mockingbird refferences? (in Ukraine, it's very unpopular book and actually most of people haven't heard about it ever)
Perhaps, I was able to understand the main idea of the book, but still don't understand, how it's indeeded in episode.
Also, the minus of episode is lack of a clear structure (i.e., with a climax, denouement, etc.). For me, the climax was just a crowd, who went to the Simpsons' house and was ready to kill Bart :ashamed:. The 3rd act was poor (IMHO, it's would be better, when they were in danger and Homer by his ordinaly stupidity saved all and proved to Lisa, that "she always can respect her father, without behaviour a la "ToKtM"). I mean, I waited for something more...
Anyway, the idea of plot as Homer's speach in clothes shop are very good. I also very like that funny "one-minute psychologist", Marge-Bart "spending time" and the very final scene.

Again, I don't say, that this episode was bad, or that Al Jean is bad writer (vice versa, he's very capable of writing). But, shortly, the episode could be better.

plot 20/25
absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 20/25
comedy 12/25
originary (level of references and of unoriginality) 20/25

TOTAL 72/100 (3/5, rounded down from 3,5 or B-). STRONG!

Last edited:
2022-11-10.png
I think my opinion on this episode might of changed due to what I've read here...didn't really look at this episode as Lisa having a crush on Homer, I just took it as a wholesome father & daughter episode similar to "Lisa's Pony" or "Lisa's Substitute".

I don't know what this SuperLegendary person's deal is but that's a major hang-up to have.. I looked at their youtube channel and I absolutely don't get the purporse. I was hoping I'd get a little more insight. I wouldn't want to assume anything too extreme but it sure sounds like there's underlying trauma.

Most of their uploads mainly revolves around the Sky satellite service, which is why I watch them for the most part. This is the second time I've seen them rant about a Simpsons episode, they previously ranted about "Homer's Enemy".

I hate this episode, I don't get why people like it.
Good things I can say about it:
The "No Country for Old Men" parody with Nelson, the callback they make later on is even better
Homer crying and then biting Lisa's costume was fine I guess
Ralph with the police siren
Homer mistaking the weather predictions for the lottery was easily the funniest moment in the ep
Homer saying he's not allowed in the chair store
Homer's thought bubble where he's crushed by the vending machine
Grampa "fighting" bart
Black and white sequence looked nice
Homer at the science museum was funny
Bart on Marge's shoulders not being able to see due to the hair, was funny at first but they dragged it out too long
J.K. Simmons was fine
Homer's "legal matter" with Martin

Bad things:
Too many cuts, the storytelling felt disjointed and shallow
I can't stand the live action clips, would it have been that expensive to just animate it?
Background sign gag
Duff advertisement joke was just stupid, it had no punchline and took too much time in the episode
Homer closing his eyes wasn't funny and they animated it in a very uninteresting way
Overly long sequence with Bart at the end

Overall it had some good ideas but was executed in the worst way possible.
1.5/5 rounded up to a 2.

Back