I like the Simpsons but hate the dogma, or just dogma in general!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobZeier1992

Homer likes you...
Hello, everyone!

My name is Jacob Zeier. I'm a 29 year old male from Madison, Wisconsin. I'm a (humble) Simpsons fan! I have been for many years. This is my first post on this website.

Unlike a great number of Simpsons fans, who may have dogmatic tendencies, I am one who has (dare I say it) contrarian tendencies and I am not ashamed of them. I like the Simpsons but in a humble and sensitive way. I don't act as if "The Simpsons is a good show or franchise in general" is some indisputable fact that many Simpsons fans claim. I'm just giving my honest and natural opinion.

The Simpsons is good because I like it, not because I'm saying so just to be accepted in society or to obey hearsay in accordance to what is "truth". It's really stupid and gullible to do so.

Mind you, there were and are some people who actually hated and still hate the Simpsons, even since 1989, if you discount the Tracey Ullman show; they think it's a fucking pile of shit! And their hatred of it is probably (in part) driven by the bigoted Simpsons fans who would bully them or act as if it is objectively good, especially the "classic" episodes (depending on what constitutes "classic" episodes). When it ain't! But it ain't objectively bad, either.

Morality is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact.

As a Simpsons fan, I find the Simpsons, particularly the "classic" stuff, astoundingly overrated thanks to its dogmatic fanboys on this site and those out there. I don't believe The Simpsons is overrated per se, but
I would say that because of the terrible dogma that occurs, it's no wonder why there are those who despise the Simpsons so much, not so much of it per se necessarily, but because of the fucking hype it receives.

Face it, not everyone likes the Simpsons, even back in 1989. If someone on the internet says that "The Simpsons, even the classic stuff, is awful!", don't get all butthurt over their contrarian view! Personally, as a Simpsons fan, I'm fucking proud of those who are being damn honest as hell over their hatred of The Simpsons. But obviously they shouldn't do it for the sake of trolling or for shock value, those are the wrong reasons!

I'm sick of some butthurt Simpsons fans telling those Simpsons haters that "you're lying, the Simpsons was undeniably great, take down your offensive post!" No! I won't let it happen! Fuck censorship (with exceptions)! People should and can like whatever the fucking hell they want, including me! Goodness and badness is relative to one's opinion!

Anyway, I hope there are humble Simpsons fans like me who would understand and (better yet) agree with my point of view. I am not trying to bash the Simpsons in any way, because I like it so much. I am bashing on certain Simpsons fans who put the Simpsons on a conceited pedestal and bash others for not liking it.

Elitist Simpsons fans need to get over it! They can't and shouldn't change how others feel about The Simpsons. You let them decide what's good and what's bad. Don't debunk or attack anyone's anti-Simpsons attitude but don't baby or privilege anyone's pro-Simpsons attitudes either. They like what they like and they don't what they don't! The Simpsons are not overrated but the dogmatic fans are making it so! They need to stop this bigoted bullshit right now!

We must save the Simpsons from elitist abuse!

Hello, everyone!

My name is Jacob Zeier. I'm a 29 year old male from Madison, Wisconsin. I'm a (humble) Simpsons fan! I have been for many years. This is my first post on this website.

Unlike a great number of Simpsons fans, who may have dogmatic tendencies, I am one who has (dare I say it) contrarian tendencies and I am not ashamed of them. I like the Simpsons but in a humble and sensitive way. I don't act as if "The Simpsons is a good show or franchise in general" is some indisputable fact that many Simpsons fans claim. I'm just giving my honest and natural opinion.

The Simpsons is good because I like it, not because I'm saying so just to be accepted in society or to obey hearsay in accordance to what is "truth". It's really stupid and gullible to do so.

Mind you, there were and are some people who actually hated and still hate the Simpsons, even since 1989, if you discount the Tracey Ullman show; they think it's a fucking pile of shit! And their hatred of it is probably (in part) driven by the bigoted Simpsons fans who would bully them or act as if it is objectively good, especially the "classic" episodes (depending on what constitutes "classic" episodes). When it ain't! But it ain't objectively bad, either.

As a Simpsons fan, I find the Simpsons, particularly the "classic" stuff, astoundingly overrated thanks to its dogmatic fanboys on this site and those out there. I don't believe The Simpsons is overrated per se, but
I would say that because of the terrible dogma that occurs, it's no wonder why there are those who despise the Simpsons so much, not so much of it per se necessarily, but because of the fucking hype it receives.

Face it, not everyone likes the Simpsons, even back in 1989. If someone on the internet says that "The Simpsons, even the classic stuff, is awful!", don't get all butthurt over their contrarian view! Personally, as a Simpsons fan, I'm fucking proud of those who are being damn honest as hell over their hatred of The Simpsons. But obviously they shouldn't do it for the sake of trolling or for shock value, those are the wrong reasons!

I'm sick of some butthurt Simpsons fans telling those Simpsons haters that "you're lying, the Simpsons was undeniably great, take down your offensive post!" No! I won't let it happen! Fuck censorship (with exceptions)! People should and can like whatever the fucking hell they want, including me! Goodness and badness is relative to one's opinion!

Anyway, I hope there are humble Simpsons fans like me who would understand and (better yet) agree with my point of view. I am not trying to bash the Simpsons in any way, because I like it so much. I am bashing on certain Simpsons fans who put the Simpsons on a conceited pedestal and bash others for not liking it.

Elitist Simpsons fans need to get over it! They can't and shouldn't change how others feel about The Simpsons. You let them decide what's good and what's bad. Don't debunk or attack anyone's anti-Simpsons attitude but don't baby or privilege anyone's pro-Simpsons attitudes either. They like what they like and they don't what they don't! The Simpsons are not overrated but the dogmatic fans are making it so! They need to stop this bigoted bullshit right now!

I dont understand…

Nah I'm good homie

The thing is, why is it necessary to save The Simpsons from elitist views? I personally find such views quite rare (and they are getting rarer). Besides, quite a lot of popular tv, movies, games, books have a somewhat elitist fanbase attached to them, so I'm not sure how this is an issue that is specifically something that needs to be tackled in the Simpsons community.

I understand that seeing people show disdain for the later episodes as well as towards those who genuinely like these episodes is pretty annoying. But I've personally seen communities who are worse at controlling these elitist views (from the top of the head, Star Wars and 1980s music fans are the worst at gatekeeping and elitism).

Anyways it's cool to see your passionate for this show Jacob. Don't take what I'm saying as a dig towards you. I just disagree that elitism is something that The Simpsons needs to be 'saved' from.

Nah I'm good homie

The thing is, why is it necessary to save The Simpsons from elitist views? I personally find such views quite rare (and they are getting rarer). Besides, quite a lot of popular tv, movies, games, books have a somewhat elitist fanbase attached to them, so I'm not sure how this is an issue that is specifically something that needs to be tackled in the Simpsons community.

I understand that seeing people show disdain for the later episodes as well as towards those who genuinely like these episodes is pretty annoying. But I've personally seen communities who are worse at controlling these elitist views (from the top of the head, Star Wars and 1980s music fans are the worst at gatekeeping and elitism).
Thank you for your reply. Again I like the Simpsons (I'm a humble Simpsons fan) but hate elitist Simpsons fans. Same goes for elitist Beatles fans.

I don't know of any people who actively despises the simpsons, I think most simply don't care about the simpsons because it's been on for 30+ years and has fallen out of fashion almost 20 years ago. You present yourself as a humble fan and claim the classic stuff is astoundingly overrated. I think it's rated just right, the only issue is the people who think there's nothing worth watching past that era. The classic era is as good as people say but the modern era is better than people think, maybe not overall but there's some diamonds in the rough.

I don't know of any people who actively despises the simpsons, I think most simply don't care about the simpsons because it's been on for 30+ years and has fallen out of fashion almost 20 years ago. You present yourself as a humble fan and claim the classic stuff is astoundingly overrated. I think it's rated just right, the only issue is the people who think there's nothing worth watching past that era. The classic era is as good as people say but the modern era is better than people think, maybe not overall but there's some diamonds in the rough.
I never said The Simpsons per se is overrated. I'm just saying that dogmatic Simpsons fans make it that way.

The so-called "classic era" is not really a fact but an opinion. People can define the "classic era" or any era in any way they want, except if the production or broadcast of the episodes or seasons involved a particular staff member, like a producer, director, and/or writer. The general consensus seems to be the "classic era" lasted from Seasons 2 to 8. I could be wrong though. But I disagree.

Personally, I call Seasons 1 to 3 the "classic era" because it was the elementary start of the show, and was relatively kid-friendly if you remove certain parts, like the cursing, violence and sexuality.

Not a popular opinion, but I think the Season 8 kind of sucks and is ridiculously overrated; I didn't like it as much. That's not to say there aren't any good episodes (ones I like), of course there are. One I can name is Homer's Enemy. I like that episode; it was funny!

If anything, instead of writing off an entire season of any TV show, including The Simpsons, as good or bad, it would be far more reasonable, I think, if we judge each episode of a TV show individually, regardless of what season it is from.

I just dont know what dogma is so I don’t really have an opinion on what you’re saying. Can You dumb it down for me pls?
The Oxford dictionary defines "dogma" as "a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true." I hope this helps explain what I mean and what I feel.

Episodes are not released in a vacuum, they are released as part of a season/series. We can judge a season based on the episodes it contains. Like a sports team that has poor showings in their season and doesn't make it into the playoff. Their overall performance was poor for the season. I think you have a skewed perception of the forum and keep fixating on some sort of dogma. I don't think anyone is confused about your position. I personally don't agree

Hello, everyone!

I understand your point from what I read. To be honest, there are people that are honest and dishonest on the internet. If they are not honest, it is most likely because their jealous about how well-liked this show is compared to their favorite shows, and they could say that this show is overrated and say which ones are better, so they get attention and be more popular. To tell if people are most honest, all they do is that they could tell and show a whole story about why they don't like it. If people are going to comment and say that it's a good show and says to tear that down, a good, responsible person can delete these comments or just ignore them if not. That's how you can tell if a person is being honest. If they don't control themselves really well, it's either that this person has anger issues (from genetics, diagnoses, and/or affections; either of them) or this person is really young (especially if it's teen, having a mood swing, or someone that hasn't started puberty yet). The person that is dishonest is most likely not thinking straight, or they're jealous about something, replying to comments that could be from a personality disorder or something like that.

Oh, and yes, not everyone likes The Simpsons. Most fans of the Simpsons enjoyed the classic seasons better than the modern seasons. But otherwise, there are things about the Simpsons that are not likeable. At the beginning, it was controversial, as Bart was not punished with his misbehaving actions, and he was described as a bad role model by educators and parents. As a result, by 1990, American public schools started to ban merchandise of the Simpsons, including Bart t-shirts (one of them says "Underachiever (And proud of it, man!)"). There are other things that happened besides that: Barbara Bush has once said in the public that she thought this show was stupid, but her mind was changed when Marge had a letter to her, in which Barbara wrote and thought it was nice for her to write a letter for her. On January 27, 1992, then-President George H. W. Bush said, "We are going to keep on trying to strengthen the American family, to make American families a lot more like the Waltons and a lot less like the Simpsons." This leads to an alternative beginning of the episode "Stark Raving Dad" in response to the speech. There are other more controversies, such as the nuclear power plant in its early years, in which Sam Simon apologized, and various episodes of the show.

Otherwise, if people despise or dislike the show, it is most likely because of its show's nature or how overrated this show is. Obviously, this show is full of nature that would not happen in real life, such as Homer strangling Bart without getting in trouble, Homer and Marge having sex many times without pregnancies (unless Marge got something that would prevent her from having a baby anymore)... This show is different, and its nature was only intended for comedy and entertainment. Even if they don't like the classic seasons, that doesn't mean they will force to change their opinions after a while. Everyone's got different opinions, and that's okay!

By the way, yes, the abuse and bullying needs to stop, as they are disrespected, things could get worse with the wars and all kinds of crap! They won't help at all! They could get themselves in trouble! And if they won't stop, they'll stop, and if they don't stop, they'll get what they deserve! (Oof! That's a lot of writing!)

Last edited:
I understand your point from what I read. To be honest, there are people that are honest and dishonest on the internet. If they are not honest, it is most likely because their jealous about how well-liked this show is compared to their favorite shows, and they could say that this show is overrated and say which ones are better, so they get attention and be more popular. To tell if people are most honest, all they do is that they could tell and show a whole story about why they don't like it. If people are going to comment and say that it's a good show and says to tear that down, a good, responsible person can delete these comments or just ignore them if not. That's how you can tell if a person is being honest. If they don't control themselves really well, it's either that this person has anger issues (from genetics, diagnoses, and/or affections; either of them) or this person is really young (especially if it's teen, having a mood swing, or someone that hasn't started puberty yet). The person that is dishonest is most likely not thinking straight, or they're jealous about something, replying to comments that could be from a personality disorder or something like that.

Oh, and yes, not everyone likes The Simpsons. Most fans of the Simpsons enjoyed the classic seasons better than the modern seasons. But otherwise, there are things about the Simpsons that are not likeable. At the beginning, it was controversial, as Bart was not punished with his misbehaving actions, and he was described as a bad role model by educators and parents. As a result, by 1990, American public schools started to ban merchandise of the Simpsons, including Bart t-shirts (one of them says "Underachiever (And proud of it, man!)"). There are other things that happened besides that: Barbara Bush has once said in the public that she thought this show was stupid, but her mind was changed when Marge had a letter to her, in which Barbara wrote and thought it was nice for her to write a letter for her. On January 27, 1992, then-President George H. W. Bush said, "We are going to keep on trying to strengthen the American family, to make American families a lot more like the Waltons and a lot less like the Simpsons." This leads to an alternative beginning of the episode "Stark Raving Dad" in response to the speech. There are other more controversies, such as the nuclear power plant in its early years, in which Sam Simon apologized, and various episodes of the show.

Otherwise, if people despise or dislike the show, it is most likely because of its show's nature or how overrated this show is. Obviously, this show is full of nature that would not happen in real life, such as Homer strangling Bart without getting in trouble, Homer and Marge having sex many times without pregnancies (unless Marge got something that would prevent her from having a baby anymore)... This show is different, and its nature was only intended for comedy and entertainment. Even if they don't like the classic seasons, that doesn't mean they will force to change their opinions after a while. Everyone's got different opinions, and that's okay!

By the way, yes, the abuse and bullying needs to stop, as they are disrespected, things could get worse with the wars and all kinds of crap! They won't help at all! They could get themselves in trouble! And if they won't stop, they'll stop, and if they don't stop, they'll get what they deserve! (Oof! That's a lot of writing!)
Fair enough. But I disagree on the idea that the Simpsons is solely comedy. Not at all! Yes, it can be funny and it often is but it's not "inherently" a comedic series. It is often serious or dramatic, which I like about it. I like drama. But don't get me wrong, I like comedy, too. Some episodes are more comedic in nature than others.

But again there are Simpsons haters and we shouldn't judge them for calling it a bad show as a whole. That is their opinion. If they don't like the Simpsons, they shouldn't be on this website, anyway. They best express their animosity somewhere else.

But one thing I will not tolerate is dogmatic Simpsons fans insulting staunch Simpsons haters by telling them they're "objectively wrong" for calling it awful. Sorry, but dogmatic Simpsons fans aren't "objectively right" about it either.

I believe that everyone should and can voice themselves about any topic or issue, positive or negative, even if I disagree.

You should know some Simpsons fans thought and think The Simpsons was superior during its Tracey Ullman show days. I can totally get their point of view. I personally call the Simpsons first three seasons (Seasons 1 to 3) the classic era or Golden age of the show. I know my definition of the "classic era" isn't that popular. But that's my own opinion. To each my own.

Episodes are not released in a vacuum, they are released as part of a season/series. We can judge a season based on the episodes it contains. Like a sports team that has poor showings in their season and doesn't make it into the playoff. Their overall performance was poor for the season. I think you have a skewed perception of the forum and keep fixating on some sort of dogma. I don't think anyone is confused about your position. I personally don't agree
I don't think sports teams and TV shows are comparable.

Sports teams are more about talent and skill whereas TV shows are more about one's enjoyment. If a sports team lost rounds to the opposing team, yes, it is objectively bad.

But for TV shows or other works of fiction, it is art and there is nothing factual about art being good or bad. To say so is dogmatic which is exactly what I'm criticizing on my post.

The Simpsons is good but the dogma hurts it and that makes me as a fan really angry.

Fair enough. But I disagree on the idea that the Simpsons is solely comedy. Not at all! Yes, it can be funny and it often is but it's not "inherently" a comedic series. It is often serious or dramatic, which I like about it. I like drama. But don't get me wrong, I like comedy, too. Some episodes are more comedic in nature than others.

But again there are Simpsons haters and we shouldn't judge them for calling it a bad show as a whole. That is their opinion. If they don't like the Simpsons, they shouldn't be on this website, anyway. They best express their animosity somewhere else.

But one thing I will not tolerate is dogmatic Simpsons fans insulting staunch Simpsons haters by telling them they're "objectively wrong" for calling it awful. Sorry, but dogmatic Simpsons fans aren't "objectively right" about it either.

I believe that everyone should and can voice themselves about any topic or issue, positive or negative, even if I disagree.

You should know some Simpsons fans thought and think The Simpsons was superior during its Tracey Ullman show days. I can totally get their point of view. I personally call the Simpsons first three seasons (Seasons 1 to 3) the classic era or Golden age of the show. I know my definition of the "classic era" isn't that popular. But that's my own opinion. To each my own.
I'm not trying to say that the Simpsons is solely a comedy, as I'm only saying that its nature is intended for comedy and entertainment. And yes, of course, I agree that the show does get dramatic at times. What I would describe is a comedy with entertainment and drama.

Tbh, from your own opinion of "The Golden Era of the Simpsons", this is more of a popularity age than the quality of the show's age, so that makes sense.
Season 1 has superior ratings, with "Life on the Fast Lane" having over 33.5 million viewers, which is interesting because it is a Marge episode and not a Bart episode. And over time, Bart became one of the most popular characters on television at the time. The show was so popular, it gained several merchandise, including T-shirts. Season 2 also has superior ratings, as "Bart Gets an 'F'" was the most popular broadcast in the history of the Fox network until 1995 and the most popular Simpsons broadcast of all time, with over 33.6 viewers watching the show at the time. The show competed with The Cosby Show at the time, and even though The Cosby Show had a higher rating, it is the viewers that the Simpsons won, not the households. Also, because at the time, NBC had more affiliates than Fox had. The show had an album called The Simpsons Sing the Blues, and it was a success, peaking at 3# on the Billboard 200 chart. "Do the Bartman" was a success during late 1990 and early 1991, peaking 1# in the UK and Ireland. "Deep Deep Trouble" was also a moderate success, but not as big as "Do the Bartman". Season 3 was still successful, though the Seasons 1-2 were more successful in terms of ratings and promotions.

Overall, your opinion is interesting, as like I said, it is more in terms of popularity than in terms of the show's quality. If you can express your unpopular opinion, here's a thread to write on. Also, here's another thread to write on, but on what do you consider the Golden Age of the Simpsons to Be.

I don't think sports teams and TV shows are comparable.

Sports teams are more about talent and skill whereas TV shows are more about one's enjoyment. If a sports team lost rounds to the opposing team, yes, it is objectively bad.

But for TV shows or other works of fiction, it is art and there is nothing factual about art being good or bad. To say so is dogmatic which is exactly what I'm criticizing on my post.

The Simpsons is good but the dogma hurts it and that makes me as a fan really angry.

So there's no skill in making a good television show? no capable writers, animators or producers? taste is subjective but you can objectively critique art, I'm not a fan of hyper realistic art but I can respect the skill involved.

I'm not trying to say that the Simpsons is solely a comedy, as I'm only saying that its nature is intended for comedy and entertainment. And yes, of course, I agree that the show does get dramatic at times. What I would describe is a comedy with entertainment and drama.

Tbh, from your own opinion of "The Golden Era of the Simpsons", this is more of a popularity age than the quality of the show's age, so that makes sense.
Season 1 has superior ratings, with "Life on the Fast Lane" having over 33.5 million viewers, which is interesting because it is a Marge episode and not a Bart episode. And over time, Bart became one of the most popular characters on television at the time. The show was so popular, it gained several merchandise, including T-shirts. Season 2 also has superior ratings, as "Bart Gets an 'F'" was the most popular broadcast in the history of the Fox network until 1995 and the most popular Simpsons broadcast of all time, with over 33.6 viewers watching the show at the time. The show competed with The Cosby Show at the time, and even though The Cosby Show had a higher rating, it is the viewers that the Simpsons won, not the households. Also, because at the time, NBC had more affiliates than Fox had. The show had an album called The Simpsons Sing the Blues, and it was a success, peaking at 3# on the Billboard 200 chart. "Do the Bartman" was a success during late 1990 and early 1991, peaking 1# in the UK and Ireland. "Deep Deep Trouble" was also a moderate success, but not as big as "Do the Bartman". Season 3 was still successful, though the Seasons 1-2 were more successful in terms of ratings and promotions.

Overall, your opinion is interesting, as like I said, it is more in terms of popularity than in terms of the show's quality. If you can express your unpopular opinion, here's a thread to write on. Also, here's another thread to write on, but on what do you consider the Golden Age of the Simpsons to Be.
If I like The Simpsons, it's good to me. There is absolutely no difference between enjoyment and goodness because to me they are completely inseparable. I know you don't agree with my philosophy on art and fiction. I'm not saying that Season 4 and beyond is bad, in fact, I do think episodes after Season 3 are good, I just believe that there's a certain nostalgic innocence I sense in the show's first three seasons.

So there's no skill in making a good television show? no capable writers, animators or producers? taste is subjective but you can objectively critique art, I'm not a fan of hyper realistic art but I can respect the skill involved.
No, you can't objectively critique art because art is subjective.

If I think a particular work of fiction is bad, it's because I don't like it.

I have contrarian tendencies and you shouldn't judge me for what I call bad or what I call good. I can write a list of movies abd TV shows I think are bad but you mustn't get butthurt over it and tell me I'm objectively wrong or that I have bad taste. That is exactly the dogmatic attitudes I'm talking about here. And if you're one of those dogmatic eltists, you better fuck off. To me, badness and hatred cannot be separated. They go hand in hand. The same way I view goodness and pleasure.

sure it does
How so? Don't you even know what dogma is? It refers to an attitude in which one person or a group of people act as if what they say about, for instance art and fiction, is indisputably true or factual. An example of dogma would be The Simpsons, especially seasons 2 to 8, are objectively good. But I for one who opposes such attitudes disagrees with such elitism.

exhibit A. https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jun/24/monkey-christ-worst-art-repairs-of-all-time

This is objectively bad art, it is meant to be realistic and it fails.. subjectively it is interesting, but for all the wrong reasons. You may not be moved by something like the mona lisa but objectively it is the better art.
Morality is a matter of opinion. "Good" and "bad" are subjective and relative terms on their own. What someone says is "good" or "bad" is a product of their emotions and thoughts. Morality doesn't have to involve behavior.

Some people think the Mona Lisa a bad painting while most would say it's a masterpiece.

Art, at least good or bad art, is relative to one's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back