The Loud House

I am actually not finished watching the movie yet (due to not wanting to watch it all in one go) but so far I think it is really good overall. Plot is fun and works perfectly as a movie, the new characters I like & and the scope and animation is bigger and spiffier (it does have a lot more depth to it than the series, being more threedimensional as far a 2D show can be & the lighting, shading and color palette are all great and very movie-like, even the music is improved). Will get back once I finish it.

As for that live-action Christmas movie, it just look so weird and offputting (well to me at least o_O). I am not saying that the show cannot be done in live-action, but here it feels like they went too truthful to the show with the really wacky cartoonish tone, the garish colors and looks of the characters & the fake almost claustrophobic surroundings to the point of looking like a middle school-grade stageplay instead of a movie. Yes, I know it is mainly for kids, but I really think they could have done way better.

the garish colors [...] the fake almost claustrophobic surroundings
Good to see it's not just me. It really lacks of the colorful and full of life atmosphere of the show and it's what convinces me that it can't be duplicated well in live-action that easily. That being said, all of this just looks fairly mediocre to me. No less no more, it just makes me feel completely indifferent, as it should. I don't see the point of being mad at this, especially since we now do have a good movie that does the show justice.

Yes, I know it is mainly for kids, but I really think they could have done way better.
Yep, being aimed at kids doesn't excuse that. They don't have to be patronized.

So let's talk about The Loud House Movie. (Some spoilers ahead, bewaaaaare.)

Like I said earlier, this is a film I enjoyed quite a bit, certainly one of the best things to come out of the franchise since a pretty long time in my opinion (I won't go back on how season 5 disappointed me so far, I've probably said enough about it). Won't lie, even though this is not the most cinematographic animated movie out there by a margin, I would've liked to see this in theaters, despite being a Netflix original, it's produced by Nickelodeon Movies instead of just Nickelodeon like other productions such as the Invader Zim movie two years ago, plus we got a couple of guest stars so I think it was intended for the big screen when it was thought out, but I do wonder if the plot, as it is in the final result, was the one that was intended when they started to work on a Loud House movie back in 2017.

Anyway, the plot we got is pretty good to me. It has that "travelling to another country to discover oneself" vibe, which fits well with what the movie is really about, outside of the Louds learning their ancestors were a royal family from a part of Scotland : Lincoln feeling like he's always gonna be an everyboy stuck in his sisters' shadow. A personal struggle from the boy that was already hinted in the episode Making the Case, but pushed farther here, since it was more suggestive (and botched) in the aforementioned episode. I always liked this kind of plot, because I can relate to Lincoln myself, I often feel like I've got nothing special to stand out when I compare myself to others, and it always bothers me more than it should, out of personal anxiety. I think the crew found, with that story about royalty, a good story idea to get along with Lincoln's struggle and what he learns about himself thanks to this journey.

Because yeah, this movie is more about Lincoln than anyone else, like a way for the franchise to get back to its roots, you know, "one boy living with ten girls" and all that. It can even gets cleverly meta in a weird way, since after the first season, a major part of the fandom was starting to talk about the sisters more than it would talk about Lincoln himself, along with the show expanding its own universe and developing its characters. You often got subjects like "who's your favorite Loud sister", and Lincoln got kind of left behind the more the franchise went on. In some sort of way, the show always was more remembered for the sisters, because of their unique trait that even got themselves being considered flat stereotypes. The point is, the charm of the show at first came partly from that "an everyboy surrounded by ten unique and talented at something sisters" vibe, and I think this movie is a pretty ingenious way to play with that and to give Lincoln as much limelight as his sisters have gotten over the years, and remind us, and himself, why he's a good boy / character.

So of course, you can see the moral a mile away, but it often was the case in the show, even in its best episodes, and that also was a part of its charm, because the show knew that the most important thing isn't how predictable the moral is, but the way to get to it. In that regard, the movie works well, because what anticipates said moral is very enjoyable to follow. Like I said, I really like how they handled that silly royal story to go hand in hand with Lincoln's down-to-earth struggle. The beginning is a clear indication of what makes Lincoln special : he deeply cares about people he loves and just wants to make life easier for his family out of pure altruism. It's also a reason that makes this beginning perfect for a newcomer as well as for a fan, because it does a great job to (re)introduce us to that energetic yet wholesome family, and it anticipates very well what's to come afterwards. The plot goes on pretty smoothly, and does a fairly good introspection on Lincoln's character. I like how the movie handles the boy getting more selfish out of royalty : he still helps the people around him, but this time, not out of altruism, but to get recognized and loved. It's actually quite clever, especially with the addition of Angus, the groundskeeper. Basically, I see him as an adult (and scottish) incarnation of Lincoln's good side. He's good-hearted and does good deeds for nothing but making life easier for the people of Loch Loud. So making him the new Duke at the end, as predictable as it is, makes perfectly sense, and works as the conclusion of the Louds' journey. I can see Lincoln growing up to be just like him (plus, their relationship was quite wholesome).

If Lincoln's arc is very good to me, the sisters also got their moments to shine, even if there's not much time for all of them, but it's an 83 minutes long movie after all. Still, they don't get left behind and aren't useless at all. As Lincoln-centric as the plot is, it does remind us that the Loud siblings are at their best when they're all together, stronger than ever in-universe, and entertaining for the audience. I also appreciate that they gave some spotlight to Lily. It makes sense because she's never been the most memorable Loud sister, since... well, she's an ordinary baby. But she does go further than just saying "poo poo" here without going too far, and she's got a wholesome bonding with Lincoln too. In fact, the movie clearly doesn't lack of wholesome moments starring the whole family. In other words, it takes pretty much all the show's strengths and makes them work together : it's often funny and the heart is in the right place. It does use some surnatural stuff here, which can be jarring in the show considering the slice-of-life tone even if there always were some cartoonish stuff (Lisa's trash monster back in season 1), but here, considering the nature of the plot, it doesn't bother me. Kind of like in Hey Arnold ! The Jungle Movie, it works well, it's not here just to be here (the dragon is important in the climax and in the way Morag gets the Louds out of Scotland, Lucille's ghost offers a point of view on what really happened with the Louds' ancestors) and strengthens the magical aspect of this small part of Scotland.

It goes well with the grander side of this movie in comparison with the show. But it also doesn't force itself to be grander just to fit with the codes of a movie, the heart and soul of the show is still here and that's the most important to me. The new characters are good too, I already talked about Angus but Morag is also a fun villain, I like how her motivations are just wanting to get some peace and quiet. Even whe she wants to become the duchess, it's to make the people of Loch Loud flee so she can have all the peace and quiet she wants by being alone. I can see why she wants to get that far after having to live with the Louds for several days, aha. She's not the most memorable villain out there, certainly, but she's good to me (as in, she works as a villain). Michelle Gomez was probably having a blast voicing her (I want a behind the scene with her when she makes the "I HATE THE LOUUUUUUUUDS" scene, lol). David Tennant is an enjoyable guest too, it's weird to hear him voicing such a nice character after hearing him voicing a more grumpy scottish character since 2017, but he does add some heart to his character. Plus, he says "blow me bagpipes", I believe Scrooge McDuck also said that once, so it's great.

So, what's a movie without some movie ambitions, I guess. About the animation, like I said when the first teaser came out, I like what they did here, by adding more dimensions to this 2D comic strip world, to me it looks like a pop-up book, and it's pretty nice to look at. The backgrounds, colors and shadings are neat, I appreciate the effort that was put in it, but you can tell it was difficult to make this 2D style work in a more dimensional animation style, some parts feel pretty choppy as a result (such as the scene where the Louds arrive in Scotland with a submarine), but the animators certainly did the best they could, and I appreciate that the characters don't look stiff here. Their movements aren't as fluid (maybe the fact that the animation wasn't handled by the same animation company that makes the animation of the show) but they always feel alive and I like that. And of course, there are songs in it. Probably not the best as far as storytelling goes (they don't feel that useful), and sometimes victims of generic post-2000s pop songs clichés, but they're nice to listen to, the sweet opening song (written and sung by Doug Rockwell and Michelle Lewis by the way, that makes it even more wholesome to me) and the fun villain song especially (I really like the visuals during Morag's song and again, Michelle Gomez is having a blast), and from a storytelling perspective, I like the fact that all of them are linked one way or another to Lincoln. It connects well to Lincoln's arc, to me.

The movie isn't without its flaws (some parts of the climax feel like they're here just because it's a movie climax, Leni's romance goes nowhere - what's the deal with movies based on animated series giving to one of the main characters a romance that goes nowhere, hi The Simpsons Movie) but I just had a fairly pleasant time watching it. It's a silly, funny, wholesome, touching and well-written film, it's good for the fans, it can work for the newcomers, it's not gonna change the mind of those who dislike the show but it's not what matters anyway, it's simply a very nice film that contains all I personally wanted from it : the charm of the show transferred into a full-length feature film that still has something to offer to the fans. As far as I'm concerned, it was worth the wait. On a score scale of one to ten, that'd be something like a 7.5, I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
So what do you think Lily's special skill will be as she gets older? I think she'll be an artist based on her finger painting and probably a gamer girl, and one of the closest sisters to Lincoln.

So I finished watching 'The Loud House Movie' and feel ready to give some opinions on it. I do not think I'll write as big of an in depth review as @Wile E. the Brain's great one as it already is so impressive and did cover a lot of my feelings as well, but I'll try to say some things that come to mind hopefully I'll be able to craft something more than a few sentences (and I apologize right away for probably repeating some things that were already say). I am also warning for unmarked spoilers below.

I thought it was really good and even great in places. They went in the right direction with the premise and story, doing it as a big travel plot and focusing on the main premise of the show with "one boy, ten girls" with Lincoln as the middle child, feeling left out and neglected in the shadow of his ten sisters and wanting to stand out and feel like someone and which leads him to discovering ancient relations in Scotland and goes there with the family. It was pretty much a perfect story for a movie, focusing on the main character of the show as it should have and doing it in a new setting (Scotland) and with supernatural elements, and was quite the fun and funny tale with a lot of great scenes, many good to great funny jokes and gags, action and epicness & some effective emotion. Definitely a well made movie.

Wile E. has as a good point with the plot of Lincoln feeling overshadowed by his successful sisters (that oddly enough weren't nearly this popular in town in the show) coming off as metafictional (as him definitely oten being overshadowed by the sisters who often are much more popular and talked about by fans, maybe especially early on in the series) and here he got his due, with a great story and conflict (when he decides he'll be a duke like his ancestor and being really selfish about it at first) and character development . I also liked the stuff with the sisters who all had their little moments (even if they didn't really have any character development, which was fine & some playing a bigger role (loved the moments with Lily such as Lincoln bonding with her being instrumental in the climax, which reminded me of 'The Simpsons Movie' & the part with Lucy and her ghost ancestor Lucille). Even Lynn Sr. & Rita got some great little moments.

Clyde, Lincoln's best friend, only had a small part but it was still surpisingly good (really explaining how much of a professional he is at baking & also giving some character development with his tale of how he got his talents from a long line of bakers on his grandmother's side in France, which was a surprising bit of "lore" to get in the movie, plus he was after all the inspiration for Lincoln to find out where his own relatives come from). Bobby did feel kinda pointless but it still gave some nice humor (and I enjoy the silliness of his character) and the callback to his scene at the end was a nice comedic last bit (letting the movie end on a funny note), albeit the brief appearance by Ronnie Anne I think could have been left out as it felt especially thankless and unnecessary & and she wasn't even referred to by name or status as Bobby's little sister, which oughta make things confusing for newcomers. She felt like a last minute addition).

The new characters I also liked quite the bit and found enjoyable. Angus the groundskeeper was fun (always so helpful and nice, kind of an antithesis of the crude, aggressive and confrontational Groundskeeper Willie on 'The Simpsons, for instance) and the friendship/mentorship with Lincoln was great and pretty sweet (I liked the connection they made with the boy) and he had a lot of nice moments (and David Tennant brought much warmth to the role). Though I think the villainous caretaker Morag was even better: While she was more or less the designated villain I think she was very entertaining and also funny (and I could at least understand her reasoning for being evil and wanting to get rid of the rowdy Loud family taking over the castle, especially more so with how they just trampled over her with little to no respect which made her feelings worse. Also Michelle Gomez was delightful in the role, really hamming it up).

The animation was pretty impressive and well made, being more threedimensional than the series (sometimes looking a little wonky and stiff/choppy, maybe due to the animators not being used to this kind of more depth, but more often than not it looked great with a lot of shading, lighting and sometimes a bit of a different color palette and some lovely backgrounds and surroundings (with or without effects); I am glad they stayed true to the look of the series but made it on a granders scale (so great job movie team). The background music score was really good (stood out much more on the show) and the songs I liked in general (I for one very much enjoyed how they made it a musical and while some might disagree, I think the songs did move the story forward instead of stopping it cold & I liked the whole rock-pop musical theme of it. They felt useful to the movie and not like there were added in as filler).

It also had more of a fantastical flair to it, with Scotland presented as a place of magic, ghosts an dragons and I definitely had no problem with that at all (despite sometimes being critical of the show as of late having taken the cartoonish unrealisms to extreme degress, such as a robot fighting a dinosaur in a school in one episode) as I felt these elements were well worked into the story and came off as fairly natural & actually served a point in the end, not just feeling they they were in the movie just to spice it up by making it denser and wackier (and I for one thought it was funny how the ancestral Loud family looked spitting images of the present day one (and I am sure there's nothing fishy involved, just a silly cartoony family resemblance, haha) and the dragon was neat. The pacing was good overall, the character interactions all nice and the setting reallt worked for its favor right until the very end.

So all in all, I think the movie was a fair success with a lot to like. Some things worked less well but those are more or less just nitpicks for me due to personal tastes (such as Bobby and Ronnie Anne's parts felt pointless as did Leni's new boyfriend, the action at the end felt a little overdone, no speaking parts but just voiceless cameos from characters like Flip & Mr. Grouse) but a more part of it were done just well and balanced the story with all its elements (humor, drama & emotion, action, etc.) and it also ended up building some backstory for the characters and effectively added to the show with the background of the family, with the royal background of Lynn Sr's side of the family, Loch Loud etc. (even if it never referenced again). In a way I felt it was more substantial than 'The Simpsons Movie' (*cue gasping of shocked readers*). It is not an all great classic movie, but a fun and entertaining ride that I have no problem revisiting down the line.

Gonna give it a 8/10 (or a 4/5). It honored the legacy of the series with an enjoyable and engrossing story, humor and emotion & suits both old and new audiences. Check it out if you like haven't already, folks.

Last edited:
I do not think I'll write as big of an in depth review as @Wile E. the Brain's great one as it already is so impressive
Thanks man. I worked two hours on that last night, guess it was worth it aha. Solid review as well, glad you enjoyed the film as much as I did (even a little more I see). I still have a lot of fondness for The Simpsons Movie but it is true that this one feels a little more consistent.

Some additional thoughts I've got :
- Baby Lucy with bangs is such a ridiculous joke. I love it.
- The "crude faces during a connection break" gag is still here and I like that.
- I find it amusing that you can see the Louds sea-lions counterparts during the shot where the Louds get to Scotland in the submarine.
- I can't be the only one who thought at first that Morag's ancestor was gonna burn the ship the Louds ancestors were in down.
- Guess Morag should have just moved elsewhere, even on a desert location, if all she wanted was peace and quiet that much, but I guess she just didn't want to leave the castle.
- One thing that could've been better developed is the gem that mind controls the dragon. As far as I remember, we don't know how, we don't know where did Morag's ancestor get that from, it's kind of "yeah, it's magical, shut up". I know it's not that important, but still.
- I wonder if someone in the crew is a big Game of Thrones fan and if the shot with the dragon's wings behind Morag during her song is a shout-out to a similar iconic shot from the series, or if it's just a similar idea aha.
- Continuity nitpicking, but apparently, Luna got her taste for music at a very young age this time.
- A part of me would've liked to see more iconic secondary characters have their moments but there's already so many main characters to handle so I can understand. It was certainly better to keep the focus on the family.
- I haven't thought of that at first but it's true that Ronnie Anne isn't even named here during her appearance. This scene is more of a gift for the fans I guess, but it also makes me laugh that in the eyes of the crew, all the newcomers need to know about Bobby is that he's a very dedicated boyfriend (even his laptop has many files about Lori and only one about the mercado aha).

@Wile E. the Brain, it seems like I just liked it marginally more than you, but even so I do agree with pretty much all of the pro's and con's you have (well, as you probably could see, I did like the music and musical factor more than you did, but aside from that we had similar feelings on the movie). Also, I am not saying that 'The Simpsons Movie' is bad, but comparing the two, this one felt more balanced and focused but that is just my two cents on it.

I also agree with your additional thoughts. Here's a few specific comments on them.

- I guess Morag should have just moved elsewhere, even on a desert location, if all she wanted was peace and quiet that much, but I guess she just didn't want to leave the castle.

Well, she did really seem to love the castle life and didn't like to give up the throne despite her status as what could essentially be called "throne warmer" in my opinion. Also, I must say that I wished that in the end, Lincoln and his sisters would at least acknowledge to her that they kinda treated her with no respect even though it wasn't premeditated (even though it doesn't excuse her evil deeds)

- One thing that could've been better developed is the gem that mind controls the dragon. As far as I remember, we don't know how, we don't know where did Morag's ancestor get that from, it's kind of "yeah, it's magical, shut up". I know it's not that important, but still.

I think you've got a point there, but I didn't really mind the underdeveloped nature of the gem. It served its purpose well as a macguffin of sorts and wasn't mean't to be more than that, but I can see some viewers wanting more out of that.

- Continuity nitpicking, but apparently, Luna got her taste for music at a very young age this time.

I think factors in with what I said previously about the movie simplifying things to be more accessible to the general audience (and that I could understand, as some things would be convoluted and/or confusing for newcomers so I'm OK with doing things in a simpler and more straightforward way to get the points across).

- A part of me would've liked to see more iconic secondary characters have their moments but there's already so many main characters to handle so I can understand. It was certainly better to keep the focus on the family.

They did the right thing and besides, with it being a travel story it would have been hard to give more of the secondaries bigger parts or even lines (I at least liked them giving Scoots a funny scene. Still find it a little odd that Flip and Grouse didn't even get a single line, which reminds me of how many of the secondaries in 'The Simpsons Movie' being glossed over).

- I haven't thought of that at first but it's true that Ronnie Anne isn't even named here during her appearance. This scene is more of a gift for the fans I guess, but it also makes me laugh that in the eyes of the crew, all the newcomers need to know about Bobby is that he's a very dedicated boyfriend (even his laptop has many files about Lori and only one about the mercado aha).

You are probably correct that it was more like fanservice (and it didn't really bother me as Bobby's scenes and small role was very funny and, as said, gave a nice final joke of the movie), but with her not being identified and treated more like a bystander character I think she could have been left out or replaced by someone of the 'Casagrandes' supporting cast (like Vito, Maybelle or even Sid Chang).

I've been reflecting some more on the movie and it honestly feels kinda weird that here we are with an actual movie based on this simple, silly little show and I'm glad it turned out as well as did.

Albeit, it do still appear to be a somewhat overlooked (and in some cases outright ignored) one . For instance I haven't seen any disussion thread on /r/movies, any video reviews by popular noteable YouTube reviewers, no own wikipedia article for it (just a small note of a movie on the show's article) & the IMDB page erroneously lists it as 'The Loud House' instead of the proper 'The Loud House Movie'.

I'm thinking it'll be more or less forgotten (other than by the fans) and people will look at it with an "Oh that movie based on Loud House happened", but maybe that's being too pessimistic.

I only watched one episode, in which he dreams he only has brothers and no sister at all. Good idea, but i did not appreciate this show.

I really wouldn't judge any show based on only one episode (and one of the worse ones at that), but whatever floats your boat.

@CousinMerl,

Well, she did really seem to love the castle life and didn't like to give up the throne despite her status as what could essentially be called "throne warmer" in my opinion.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking about. Obviously if she can have tranquility without giving up on the castle life she's been living before their arrival, I can understand why she bothers to do all of that instead of just moving aha.

I think you've got a point there, but I didn't really mind the underdeveloped nature of the gem. It served its purpose well as a macguffin of sorts and wasn't mean't to be more than that, but I can see some viewers wanting more out of that.

Like I said, I don't mind it that much since I do get it's not the point of the story, but I think it can end up appearing as a kinda out of nowhere plot device. (By the way, I think it would've been funny if Lisa, which I can see as someone trying to find a rational explanation to anything, had a dialogue involving her trying to understand how does this gem work. Just an idea threw at the wall, aha.)

I think factors in with what I said previously about the movie simplifying things to be more accessible to the general audience (and that I could understand, as some things would be convoluted and/or confusing for newcomers so I'm OK with doing things in a simpler and more straightforward way to get the points across).

Yep, I can understand too. I don't mind the sheer idea of that little continuity error in the slightest to begin with, but that's a possible explanation. It's amusing to me because Luna's past as described in For Bros About to Rock has shown that the girl struggled to find what doesn't make her just an ordinary girl until she was slightly older than Lincoln.

They did the right thing and besides, with it being a travel story it would have been hard to give more of the secondaries bigger parts or even lines

That's why I said it was for the best in this case, yes. I'm pretty sure they already struggled to find a moment for each and every main character, and it's obvious to me that they won't bother with the supporting cast if they do a travel story, I said that with a hypothetical different story in mind. As it is, I don't mind it.

I've been reflecting some more on the movie and it honestly feels kinda weird that here we are with an actual movie based on this simple, silly little show and I'm glad it turned out as well as did.

Well, they did extract three movies out of Rugrats and two out of Hey Arnold! (and the second one was a pretty grand story), so I'm not that surprised, but I can see your point.

Albeit, it do still appear to be a somewhat overlooked (and in some cases outright ignored) one . For instance I haven't seen any disussion thread on /r/movies, any video reviews by popular noteable YouTube reviewers, no own wikipedia article for it (just a small note of a movie on the show's article) & the IMDB page erroneously lists it as 'The Loud House' instead of the proper 'The Loud House Movie'.

I'm thinking it'll be more or less forgotten (other than by the fans) and people will look at it with an "Oh that movie based on Loud House happened", but maybe that's being too pessimistic.

I feel like this movie mostly brought on the fans and the haters of the show, don't see much opinion from newcomers. On Letterboxd though, the film do have a pretty low average score (2.6/5) and I see numerous comments talking about how much they hate the franchise and stuff instead of just skipping the movie. It always baffles me that people who watch shows such as this one would be considered less adult for some than people who just spread hate towards a little, inoffensive show like this. Obviously we can dislike The Loud House as a show, that's not my point, I just feel like some people talk about it as if it killed their family or something. But I guess it's bound to happen to a lot of popular series which are getting adored by the network (Rick and Morty does currently get a lot of hate too) or just don't live up to general expectations all through their run (season 8 of Game of Thrones anyone ?).

Moral of the story : never become a popular franchise.

@CousinMerl
Actually, i share your opinion but i did not like the design, humor and characters, and stopped to watch it.

@Wile E. the Brain : Yes, Hey Arnold's second movie was very nice. However, i disliked Rugrats, even the cartoon as it gave me nightmares.

@Wile E. the Brain, Agreed on your points above. (and thanks for replying to my comments on the points in your last post in the thread). As for that last one on the movie seeming to slip through the cracks (or so to say), what you say that is certainly true.

Many vocal fans having turned against the show and resort to trolling and review bombing, etc, but like you say fans so easily and quickly turning against a show do happen a lot these day like with those given examples. For TLH, I still think those things happen because part of the abeformentioned discussions we've had about the show not being the big new thing anymore, fans dislike it moving away from solely being about the main premise (though I still think it's ridiculous when someone saying it fell off after season 2, when season 3 is maybe the most popular season after 2 as it seems & then we have many fans still complain about Lincoln being bullied and treated like crap throughout season 1 & 2 which is contradictory to say the least) & turning their backs on it for other shows instead.

Not liking the show (or any other for that matter) is fine but the fans and their hate can get so ridiculous and petty (I'm thinking of that of Star Wars due to the Sequel/Disney trilogy, etc. I never could have imagined a follow up to the Prequel trilogy (an already fairly impopular trilogy) would get so ripped apart by fans and the toxicity has pretty much ruined talking about the movies). And the moral you said is definitely true: Don't ever become a popular franchise, especially not now in these times when fans are so fickle & turn on you at the drop of a dime.

@Marioburgercream, Points taken. Some shows are not for everyone and that is all fine.

Last edited:
@CousinMerl : As you said, i agree also when you say that not liking the show is fine but you can't stand fans's hate. Personnally, i don't oblige anyone to like or dislike what i like or dislike (i don't say that for you, of course :)) but when someone calls me a moron because i don't share his opinion, it can get on my nerves :cool: (again, not for you or anyone on NHC)

Just a thought on the movie: who was watching the Loud House pets while they were in Scotland? Probably Clyde, but I like to think it was Mr. Grouse as he's not as bad as his name suggests (befriending Lynn and selling Lori a car for a good price.)

As I was watching the movie I also wondered what happened to the pets (that weren't in the movie whatsoever), but yeah, I'm also guessing Mr. Grouse took care of them (as he's the next door neighbor) but Clyde is also a possibility.

It took a few days but I finally watched the latest two episodes. Some brief thoughts below (and testing out with a new section; my favorite moment of the episode at the moment of writing).

'Lori Days' was really good. It had a nice simple and straightforward yet great and down to earth plot (Lori feeling that she's missing out so much at home and coming for a weekend visit to catch up and spend time with all her younger siblings) and it was super enjoyable overall, with some great moments for Lori trying to be up to speed with the others and arranging for a special day out that doesn't go as planned & it ends on a sweet note (all with good humor, drama and emotion). Probably one of the season's strongest. Favorite moment: Leni going nuts when it comes to food fights and mud fights (hilarious).

'Dream A Lily Dream' was nice too. Very good story on Lisa and Lily (about Lily plagued with nightmares that keeps everyone awake due to her crying and it turns out it's been Lisa's experiments that caused them) and the sci-fi plot about Lisa and her hand picked team of her siblings to go into Lily's dream and fix it was cartoonish but worked out really well, having good jokes (maybe even better ones than the previous episode), interesting visuals and even some adorable sister bonding with Lisa and Lily (who very rarely have these kind of emotional moments together). Favorite moment: The ending, 'nuff said.

Both of these surprised me a fair bit, especially the latter (the Lisa episodes have kind of been hit & miss as of recently, but this one was probably the best one of the season so far).

Coming right out of nowhere are two new episodes that currently don't have confirmed US airdates (but they'll be airing in Australia next week) but are already out thanks to an accidental release on digital distribution (seriously, what's with all these that we've gotten this year)!

How the Best Was Won
The gang splits up, competing for the title of "Middle School's Best Friends," creating a rift between the group.

Animal House
Lana struggles to find homes for the exotic pets at the Royal Woods Animal Shelter, before they're moved out.
Haven't watched them yet but intend to by the end of the day. I also only learned about this by accident after randomly browsing one of the third party sites I know some of us tend to frequent.

And besides these two, a few more will premiere in Australia next week:

Fam Scam (Oct. 7th)
Embarrassed by her family, Lola pretends to be a McBride to impress her new sophisticated pageant friend.

Farm to Unstable (Oct. 8th)
After realizing farm work with Liam is harder than they thought, Lincoln and the gang look for shortcuts.

An episode airs in the US on the 15th called Fright Bite but it currently has no synopsis.

And two more will premiere in the UK:

Diss the Cook (Oct. 21st)
Lincoln is convinced that the middle school lunch lady is holding a grudge against him and his older sisters.

For Sale By Loner (Oct. 22nd)
Mr. Grouse attempts to find some peace and quiet after moving away from the Louds.

Lots of interesting episodes here but 'Animal House' and 'For Sale By Loner' sound like the most interesting ones to me, especially the latter which could be a standout episode of the season.

What did you think of 'Lori Days' & 'Dream A Lily Dream', @John95? I don't remember you having voiced your thoughts on those yet.

Last edited:
@CousinMerl, Oh yeah, they were fine. Obviously Lori Days was the better of the two and demonstrates just how the show changed with Lori not being present for most episodes any more.

I watched a couple of new episodes the other day and then I found out they were leaks from online services (iTunes, Amazon, Google play or something else), but I guess I'll still share some thoughts (and if you saw them as well, @John95, feel free to do so as well). I'll give a warning for unmarked spoilers below, as usual.

'How The Best Was Won' was okay. The episodes about Lincoln & his group of friends are usually my favorites, but I still enjoyed the story of a "friendship war" due to Lincoln & Clyde competing with Rusty & Zach for some school friendship prize. It had its moments and some decent gags (plus it was interesting with the gang breaking up, with Liam and Stella on the sidelines). I think my favorite moment was Stella as reporter, but I guess that's mostly due to Haley Tju's charming voiceacting. Nice ending (an not too obvious).

'Animal House' was probably one of the best Lana episodes in a while. Great to finally get a plot with Lana at the animal shelter (I do think they based this on that Listen Out Loud podcast). I really like Sam Sharp as a friend of hers (that Sam is an animal lover is just great) and the plot of Lana trying to find homes in town for some of the superfluous animals was a lot of fun with charm, some nice jokes and some drama (and she was excellently portrayed, with none of that Flanderization) & sweet and funny end. One of the season's best.

@CousinMerl Yeah, they were fine. I liked Animal House more but How the Best Was Won was also fine. Though I've compared this season to the last and I couldn't help but notice that they seemed to lean on episodes involving Lincoln and his friends a little more than usual as this season has 9 episodes so far (three are still listed as TBA) compared to the last season where there were only five and they were a bit more spread out (or at least they felt that way to me). That said, Rumor Has It was the only one of those from this season that I felt was a real dud even if Chandler brought Broadcast Blues down a bit.

By the way, Fam Scam and Farm to Unstable also aired in Australia this week. Haven't seen them yet but will get around to it soon.

Though I've compared this season to the last and I couldn't help but notice that they seemed to lean on episodes involving Lincoln and his friends a little more than usual as this season has 9 episodes so far (three are still listed as TBA) compared to the last season where there were only five and they were a bit more spread out (or at least they felt that way to me).

I think it was a conscious decision by the crew to focus more on Lincoln & friends as they've moved up to middle school as of this season (5) so that makes sense and it has given some interesting stories, though they seem pretty impopular among the fandom (so maybe you have seen more positive opinions about those. I still feel pretty assured that kids watching like them just fine, though).

Also, I must say was surprised at the portrayal of Lana in 'Animal House'. I was sure they were looking for some excuse to exaggerate her love for dirt and garbage but it thankfully never happened. I'd like more episodes like that (characters at their best without suffering from Flanderization yet there's a fun story for them) & I'd like more stories with the Loud sisters interacting with characters they haven't done so with before on screen (if there's a crossover with 'Casagrandes', a Lana & Adelaide episode feels such an obvious thing).

I also heard that about 'Fam Scam' & 'Farm To Be Unstable' and I'll hope to see them soon.

I got a chance to see 'Fam Scam' & 'Farm To Be Unstable' and they were both okay, nothing more nothing less.

'Fam Scam' had a very familiar story, that with a character lying that her family is upper class since she's ashamed of it in the face of her new popular friend, but since Lola is enjoyable (and Grey Griffin continues to own the role) I liked it, found some funny moments, plus I enjoyed more scenes with Howard & Harold McBride (Lola trying to pass herself off as a McBride, and all that was also amusing). I would have wished for a more original plot but I still liked it fine enough.

(I will also say that I almost wish they'd retire Lola's beauty pageant schtick now since it feels so out of date and kinda problematic with of how society has marched on in many ways and more loudly condemn these pageants. They dropped Clyde's creepy fawning over Lori so I don't see why dropping this as well would be any problem. Would like to know what you guys think).

'Farm To Be Unstable' was also decent. Interesting premise with Lincoln & friends helping Liam out on his family's farm (which often bring out some goof stuff in the series) and with some nice gags throughout. Too bad it went a little unoriginal, with the gang finding out the chores are so hard to they decide to take a short cut and buy all the ingredients which ruins the farm stand sale, has them feel bad and fix everything in the end, but just like the previous episode it was fine.

Last edited:
@John95, well, it only took me four months but I did finally watch 'Much About Noshing' & 'Broadcast Blues'.

'Much About Noshing' was okay. The plot was alright, I liked the Loud kids cooperating to help out their dad & I enjoyed seeing many of the secondary characters gathered together (and they made for some nice gags), plus like you the twist was a bit of a surprise to me, but the story was pretty silly & ultimately not one of the season's stronger efforts.

'Broadcast Blues' was meh, mostly due to Chandler being especially awful here (and this one really made him into a POS for sure). I generally like the stuff with the school news team and this time was no exception, but Chandler being so intentionally and deep-laid cruel and manipulative was a little too much (despite him getting his comeuppance).

And since there's been a bunch of new episode released recently (one way or the other), I guess I'll cover them too in brief:

'Diss The Cook' was pretty good. Started out as your typical "mean lunch lady" plot and I thought it would be too standard , but then they made it surprisingly convoluted and interesting. Liked Lincoln & Lynn cooperating & even getting Lori and even Rita involved (and I liked seeing some of her past as a middle-schooler, which was maybe my favorite parts. I like these kind of backstory-building scenes). The reveal/twist was good and it made for a nice ending.

'For Sale By Loner' I liked as well. Nice to have a story on Mr. Grouse and him moving away (fed up with all the Loud mischief) was a good story. It felt predictable at first, but ended up being a neat one with a bit of exploration of him and how he is when lonely. Halfway in it got better and I liked the stuff with him being so bored he starts bothering his new neighbor, Bolhofner, & the ending was pretty funny (and a little heartwarming too, despite it feeling kinda obvious).

'Fright Bite' was a solid Halloween-esque story. Lucy episodes are usually good and I always enjoyed her friends' in the "Mortician's club", all of which I find entertaining characters. Nice spoof on 'Fright Night' with Lucy & friends thinking the new guy moving in next to the graveyard is a vampire, it had some nice gags & it wasn't all too predictable (but actually kind of surprised me as it didn't completely end like I had been guessing). One of the season's better outings

'Appetite For Destruction' I found a decent one. Good plot on the Loud parents having trouble with Lily whom is acting out something fierce and being mean and destructive. At first I thought this was the "terrible two's" plot but it went in another direction with its interesting and amusing plot (which also saw Leni being goofy again, which was probably the funniest aspect). The final reveal of why Lily acted like a hellraiser was perfectly silly and in line with the show.

'Frame On You' was better than the last one with Lincoln & friends doing the school news ('Broadcast Blues). I quite enjoyed this one with the "whodunnit?" plot of Rusty being framed, had some entertaining twists and turns & the final reveal of the culprit really came as a surprise and it had an amusing explanation (rarely are the show's twists this unpredictable). Maybe not one of the finest episodes of the show but I'd say one of the better with the school news team.

Overall, I would say that the season has picked up toward the end which is nice to see (also as proof the show's still got it) so maybe it will mean a step up in quality for the next season (I hope, at least.).

Did anybody watch the Christmas movie? All I'm getting from it is "This movie could have been animated. It doesn't have the same charm as the show." I'm guessing the writers had the idea to make a Christmas movie, but the animators had no time to devote to it because of the feature film, so they made it live-action.

It also doesn't help that this movie came out just a few months after the feature film, so it's even more unnecessary.

@Dr. Nihilistic, No I haven't been able to watch the live-action TV movie and to be honest, I don't think it looks interesting enough to watch. Just by looking at the screenshots I think they went too far making it looking too slavishly true to the show (with the garish colors and all that instead of trying a more "realistic" approach) and it looks like some kind of high budget stage play.

They should have made this as an animated special instead (even though they did release a movie in the summer), but that said, I wouldn't say it looks absolutely terrible or anything. I'm just not very interested or concerned regarding it.

It's been a while, but I caught a couple of new episodes.

'Runaway McBride' was a nice one, and I believe the first one really focusing on the McBride dads Howard & Harold (which made it feel like something new. Could've guessed it'd be about them scared of Clyde drifting apart from them but it made for a nice story with them arranging all these special activities at the house so Clyde & friends will spend their time there (and with some funny moments), but it is odd they seem to have limitless money (even almost hiring a wrecking ball to destroy their house so that Clyde would watch that instead of a normal house demolition. That was insanely stupid, good Clyde stopped it).

'High Crimes' I found an all right mystery story. Nice to see the Sunset Canyon and the old folks' there again & Lincoln and Clyde (with some help from the latter's grandma) trying to find out who's been sabotaging the place (to drive the elderly away) was an enjoyable one (I really liked Lisa's brief scene too). I don't think it was anything groundbreaking, but it wasn't predictable like I thought and the twist/reveal was nicely handled and pretty amusing too (and it was not the person I was thinking). I don't really have much more to say about this one other than it was okay and entertainining, but it didn't need to be more.

I think that 'The Loudly Bones' is the one episode that is left to see for me (and I've so far not been able to find it, but I will) and unless they announce more episodes, the season does seem to be over.

@Dr. Nihilistic & @CousinMerl I haven't seen the live action Christmas movie either, and I don't plan to. I was honestly turned off from the idea the very second they announced it last year and the more I saw of it the further disinterested I became.

I'm guessing the writers had the idea to make a Christmas movie, but the animators had no time to devote to it because of the feature film, so they made it live-action.
That's definitely the vibe I get. It's live action only because the show's crew was busy with the movie, or they figured live action would be cheaper.

Just by looking at the screenshots I think they went too far making it looking too slavishly true to the show (with the garish colors and all that instead of trying a more "realistic" approach) and it looks like some kind of high budget stage play.
The live action Mr. Coconuts is so Uncanny Valley that he honestly looks like a distant cousin of the TV version of Slappy from Goosebumps!
Screenshot (643).pngSlappy_%28Bride_of_the_Living_Dummy%29_-_Villain_of_Evil_Wedding.png

The only things that I felt were worth sharing about the film that I've heard is that somehow, they were able to rope Brian Stepanek and Catherine Taber into this and have them reprise their roles of Lynn Sr. and Katherine Mulligan respectively. And the kid who played Clyde (Jahzir Bruno) will also begin voicing him on the show sometime next season making him the third person to voice him.

I caught 'The Loudly Bones' a few days ago (after it had slipped me by unnoticed) and I liked it. A nice Lisa-centric episode with a decent plot (her finding a dinosaur bone in the yard) and while it was kinda predictable overall (pretty obvious it wouldn't be a real dino bone & the "maintain the lie" plot was familiar) it had enough turns to make it interesting instead of anything trite (and I like that the lie was kept for an honestly good and inspirational reason) and the ending was a nice one with a good compromise.

Also, I checked the wiki and it would seem season 5 is over (as the vacant spots in the episode guide have been filled, either by aired episodes or those early international releases), but it seemingly has some life in it left as it lists airdates from September 11 2020 to TBA (speaking of which, its insane that the season has been running for essentially 1 1/2 year, which definitely feels like a bit of a record). Heard anything about the prospect of more episodes, @John95?

Back