Comic scripts that originally were for TV?

AnthonyNoHomers70100

Stonecutter
I think that there some comics strips from Simpsons Comics and Bart Simpson comics whose scripts originally were going to be TV episodes from The Simpsons but was rejected by the production. Rejected for a TV episode but accepted for a comic strip. Or maybe some writers preferred comics because are cheaper than TV episodes.

Last edited:
I doubt if there are any since I don't think comic book writers are members of the Writers Guild of America.

In Simpsons Comics #27, released in 1996, there is a story called "They fixed homer's brain" where homer undergoes a medical experiment and suddenly becomes smart.

That is very similar to HOMR which aired in 2001.

That's because both homer stories are homages to flowers for Algernon, where a mentally handicapped man becomes temporarily smart.

I stopped reading comics after the late 20s.. there's some good stories in the early ones, some that I've not seen reproduced on tv. I think they would work. There's also some weird Biff Westwood thing.... I don't think that ever crossed over.

The Simpsons Futurama Crossover Crisis was a comic compilation book released in 2010, which is a crossover between The Simpsons and Futurama, both cartoons created by Matt Groening. 4 years later in 2014, the crossover became a The Simpsons' TV episode called "Simpsorama".

The Simpsons Futurama Crossover Crisis was a comic compilation book released in 2010, which is a crossover between The Simpsons and Futurama, both cartoons created by Matt Groening. 4 years later in 2014, the crossover became a The Simpsons' TV episode called "Simpsorama".
but do they have similar plots?

I think patric verrone is the only guy who's written for both the show and the comics

but do they have similar plots?

None whatsoever.

I ran one of the big Bongo/Simpsons Comics websites prior to Bongo launching their own, and never came across any kind of suggestion that some comics were based on rejected show ideas. It wouldn't make sense anyway, as they were made by a completely separate team. Futurama Comics were sometimes written by writers from that show - namely Patric M. Verrone and Eric Rogers - but that very rarely occurred with Simpsons Comics.

Speaking of the 'Simpsons-Futurama Crossover Crisis', I sometimes wonder how it'd have been like if they adapted it on the show instead of 'Simpsorama'. I dunno if it'd have been especially great, but I can see it being a solid two-parter and maybe a little better and more interesting than what we ended up getting.

Back