Rate & Review: "Portrait of a Lackey on Fire" (UABF01)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Global Moderator
VK1MG2p.jpg

Season 33, Episode 8
Original Airdate
: November 21, 2021

Writer & Showrunner: Rob LaZebnik
Additional Writer: Johnny LaZebnik
Director: Steven Dean Moore
Supervising Showrunner: Matt Selman

Synopsis: Smithers finds true love with a famous fashion designer, but will his new relationship destroy Springfield?

Previous R&R
Next R&R

R&R Poll Average Score: 3.00 / 5 (as of September 24, 2022 / 39 votes)
IMDb User Rating: 6.0 / 10

Last edited:
Well, Carolyn Omine, Tim Long and Dan Castellaneta are now Co-Executive Producers, but get this... Elisabeth Kiernan Averick is now finally the Co-Executive Producer, but that's not all! Cesar Mazariegos is now the Producer (although he's supposed to be the Co-Producer), Jessica Conrad is now the Co-Producer. Also, Michael Price and Jeff Westbrook are now back as Co-Executive Producers. Now, Richard K. Chung and Alexander Duke are Producers again in the ending credits, Dominique Braud is a Co-Producer again in the ending credits as well. And last but not least, Loni Steele Sosthand is now an Executive Story Editor. Another thing, Tom Gammill & Max Pross have left the show now after 23 years, and Mike Scully also left the Simpsons after 28 years, because Mike Scully is no longer the Producer anymore, along with Tom Gammill and Max Pross. Anyway, this episode was good, so I'll go for 3/5

A Serious Flanders is a tough act to follow, It probably affected my rating for this episode.

I thought this episode was pretty boring. I thought Burns' characterisation was weird.
Is it just me or did both Smither's and Burns' voice sound different?

I'm tired of seeing episodes where things go sour and Lisa's the one doing the exposition. Okay, the plant was toxic, Michael is a horrible man.. I didn't care for having yet another thing "exposed" by Lisa.

I did enjoy the visuals in the explosion/clean up sequences.. but it was all so disjointed.. I was expecting a little more of a shift but the story continued on its predictable path quickly.

So this episode didn't really do anything for me. 2/5

Hardly much to say about this. It was a lil' dull. But after stuff like THOH32 and Serious Flanders then I don't mind so much. Mainly the romance stuff felt a bit rushed while we spent way too long on Luigi's mom.

Also another one for the "oh Bart's here too" pile. Kid's fading away now people are complaining about the way they'd shit on him so much... Which I guess is preferable to the latter.

One touch I did like was the Smithers Sr photo, that was nice... otherwise really not much to say here but probably for the better.

Oh yeah, that too. It was pretty neat. I mean I'm sick to death of constantly referencing the Vindicators as if that was even funny the first time, but callbacks like that and Smithers Sr I don't mind so much. Maybe because those don't feel like they're particularly pandering compared to the former and the dug-up memes. Don't think that many people really know about Smithers Sr for instance, at least not super well.

Christian Siriano isn't there just for the voice cameo - he is credited as designing Lisa's "party dress"

Oh, and 4/5 from me

I wasn’t a fan of this one. Michael didn’t interest me much as a character, and the Simpson family was shoehorned into the plot more than necessary. Marge was incredibly irritating in her unexplained insistence to know everything about the man Smithers was dating, and when she learned who it was, it just led to a party with drawn-out “zinger” scenes and the very odd and unfunny Luigi scene there. Michael’s reveal as “evil” was pretty tired and well-trodden ground, reminding me of The Old Man and the Lisa. My favorite scenes were the ones with Mr. Burns and the puzzle; that was a decent sub-sub-subplot. 2/5

I thought it was fine but it turning into a "Lisa is outraged" again was a bit tiring. And why would Bart care too that Michael was a bad guy...Bart never cares about stuff like that. Heck, even Smithers isn't some angel who you'd think would be outraged at a person's flaws. Flanders yes. Smithers? Eh.

The episode taking that direction I didn't like. Them turning that into Smithers realizing the guy was basically a fashion Burns was a good way to pivot from Lisa's "exposal" at least. 3/5

This was alright. A good 1st act, then Marge was irritating and Lisa was annoying as usual but still managed to end on a somehow good note. Burns was funny with the puzzle solving, though his voice near the end sounded like someone was doing a bad imitation of him. Not a bad episode, but not something I would watch again. - 3/5

I mean I'm sick to death of constantly referencing the Vindicators as if that was even funny the first time, but callbacks like that and Smithers Sr I don't mind so much. Maybe because those don't feel like they're particularly pandering compared to the former and the dug-up memes. Don't think that many people really know about Smithers Sr for instance, at least not super well.
It does feel a bit more natural when they reference an episode that's at least 20 years old (even if it's one with an infamous reputation) without drawing attention to it versus continuing to acknowledge one (even if it's one of the better ones in recent years) over and over when it's not even two years old. I'll admit that I'd completely forgotten about Smithers Sr. myself until rewatching that episode a while ago.

As for the actual episode in question, the episode peaks very early as all the best stuff happens in the first act. The episode starts to decline the very moment Marge gets involved and her scene with Homer felt like it wouldn't end. I honestly thought she was worse in this episode than Lisa.

Speaking of Lisa, yeah it sucks that the show has to once again have her be the one that exposes everything, but at least she doesn't forcibly shoehorn herself into the rest of the episode after that like she's done before in E My Sports and Diary Queen.

2.5/5, rounded down.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. Really writers, having Chalmers saying "Simmer?" the same way he says "Skinner!"? Come the fuck on! That shit wasn't funny when you did it in Diary Queen either and it only further reinforces how one-note he normally is!

Last edited:
This wasn't too original but it was still a really fun watch. Smithers and Michael were actually pretty cute at the beginning and the whole deal with Mr. Burns and the puzzle was weirdly wholesome. So this gets a 5/5

This was alright. A good 1st act, then Marge was irritating and Lisa was annoying as usual but still managed to end on a somehow good note. Burns was funny with the puzzle solving, though his voice near the end sounded like someone was doing a bad imitation of him. Not a bad episode, but not something I would watch again. - 3/5
Would you mind writing your reviews in a color that’s readable? Since copying and pasting the text doesn’t make the text black anymore, it’s nearly impossible to read. I figure that was your intention, but if you make a post that’s not readable, it might as well be spam.

Would you mind writing your reviews in a color that’s readable? Since copying and pasting the text doesn’t make the text black anymore, it’s nearly impossible to read. I figure that was your intention, but if you make a post that’s not readable, it might as well be spam.
It's not spam; I had no idea even that can override it and make it fully unreadable using the other themes, since I use the Sleek layout.

This was actually my first time doing so just as an experiment, I had no idea this would happen. Yeah, never again.

The episode was alright, I think. I really like the idea of a story where Smithers finally finds true love and I think it did make for an interesting premise with Homer (of all people) matching him up with this famouse wealthy fashion designer named Michael whom seems too good to be true and it leading to an unpleasant reveal, but overall, it felt fairly bland and a little dull, the jokes weren't terrible but many fell flat (and some didn't feel right), some characterizations like Marge and Burns were really kinda off and it didn't really have much (or anything) that really stood out as all that good. The directing was solid and the writing was okay (despite really nothing special other than in terms of how tasteful and natural the love story felt in the first act), but it never really rose to something greater.

It did have an alright opening scene at Burns' mansion grounds (with Smithers introducing the new litter of dobermann puppies to Burns) for starters & the little montage skit of Homer's new job as a "test dummy" for the puppies to bite down on was a little amusing, but could probably have done without the unnecessary "greenhouse" gag (the lame pun at least elicited a chuckle so that was a small plus). It was one of those "Smithers feels unappreciated" plots we have seen before but this was done in an pretty alright manner, with Burns not really caring for his assistant and Homer feeling sorry for the guy & wanting to help (I like these kind of Homer-Smithers where they act friendly with the other). Also, Homer's moment with the nice & friendly discarded puppy was cute.

I did find it little odd how Michael, the fashion designer, suddenly just stood there infront of Homer (I guess he was one of those who answered to Burns' invitation to get one of the puppies) and Homer deciding to play matchmaker by pairing him up with Smithers was entertaining (especially him being so proud about it afterwards). Smithers meeting Michael was a nice bit but the Luigi's restaurant scene wasn't especially interesting nor that funny (especially with the overlong gag of Luigi's mother being intolerant and he tries to reason with her. It wasn't terrible, just drawn out and not funny). The scene with Homer boasting about his gay matchmaking at Moe's was amusing (especially with his "no can do" attitude toward's Lenny's question about straight matchmaking).

While Homer's smugness was amusing, Marge was being really annoying with her fangirling over Homer giving Smithers a boyfriend and following him around asking about Michael (whose fashion critic show she's a fan of) andd doing things like jumping onto the hood of the car to find out more and she became almost unbearable with her damn antics, though the jokes with Homer continuous swapping way of travel (going from his car to her car to the bus stop) to get away from her was pretty funny. Smithers and Michael had a nice scene at the latter's villa, but the 'Dancing Queen' bit with whatshername having been hired to sing the song almost made me roll my eyes (them actually following Smithers' dialogue up audiovisually was just too much and made it a bit of a drag).

While Marge essentially stalking Smithers at the plant was a little much and got him to accept a party thrown for his and Michael's sake, the party itself had some nice moments (and Michael giving Lisa's skirt a makeover was probably the best part, but the Lenny & Carl gag was funny), but the second joke scene with Luigi and his mother was just meh. Michael starting a clothing factory for modern fashion in town was an interesting turn, though here the Smithers story got lost in the shuffle and it suddenly became quite Lisa centric with her and Homer (and Bart, there for no reason) finding out that Michael is an villain to the environment and pollutes the town with his factory and the workers get really sick from the condictions of the factory (makes sense Lisa calls it a sweatshop).

While I don't oppose the reveal, I think that Lisa hijacking ther story with her pointing out everything what is wrong did feel a little forced (I've often noticed Lisa gets shoehorned into plots a lot of the time and this was one of those times. Also why is Bart angry about the pollution?). I did like the gag with how Homer revealed the pollution to Smithers (with Lake Springfield having "gone plaid") and it gave an nice bit of conflict for Smithers. His scene with Burns afterwards was nice (and Burns' monologue on how "fast fashion" is potentially more dangerous than nuclear power as the SNPP provides electricity yet Michael profits off things that nobody truly needs, was some surprisingly decent satire. Also, I did find it amusing how he still doesn't get that Smithers is actually gay).

It obviously comes down to Smithers confronting Michael about the literally toxic workplace but the latter is a crazed and malevolent boss who doesn't care about the environment to make quick bucks and naturally, Smithers walks out on him (but not before Michael literally kicks the puppy since it caused him spill some wine, obviously to prove how evil he is! ). Anyhow, Smithers adopting the puppy was cute and his chat with Homer & Marge I liked, but it felt like it didn't solve the very problem at hand (as Michael still has his factory in town and it is slowly destroying Springfield with pollution and spewing pieces of clothing everywhere so it should be a huge deal, but I suppose they'll be erased when the status quo sets in. It almost felt like they wrote themselves into a corner).

Overall, it was okay. Story was good and they handled the love story decently well with some nice scenes of him and Michael (and Homer's role was nice), though it was a bit of shame they got a little sidelined for things like Marge's fangirling, Lisa's forced role and such & it became a little too much but there were still a lot of nice little moments throughout (I think my favorite was the subplot with Burns and the puzzle, simple yet entertaining, yet not feeling forced), the humor was not great but there were still some amusing moments, the characterizations were a bit half-and-half (such as Smithers & Homer being portrayed well, while Marge wasn't) and the story got a little dull at times, but it was alright. A (mostly) unremarkable but averagely okay outing with its moments.

3/5. Had the episode focused on Smithers and his relationship, Mr Burns (and his puzzle subplot) and a bit of Homer (I liked his part) it'd have been pretty nice, but it had to force unneccessary, intrusive and/or dragged out material, not too funny and with a few poor characterizations in there (such as Marge being too much, Lisa forced into the story to be angry and do the exposition about how Michael is a bad guy, the unfunny overlong jokes with Luigi's intolerant mother, Michael being worse than Burns, etc): It having two writers was definitely felt and I'd say the first act was the strongest (before they started overloading the episode). Though, for all its shortcomings, it still had enough to make it an interesting and rather decent viewing so yeah, a perfectly decent one.

Last edited:
Yeah, kicking the dog was crossing the line. That was a smart choice for Smithers to dump him.

I do at least like that touch that, being around Burns for so long, Smithers almost tried to look past all the glaring flaws until the puppy kicking. Smithers is a pretty morally grey character and I think people tend to forget that. I mean he voluntarily works for Mr Burns. So the literal dog-kicking was neccesary. Smithers isn't an evil man himself but he does have a pretty high tolerence for it compared to most folks, it's at least consisten that it takes cartoonish villainy to put him off.

I like it when said moral-greyness isn't just played as "they're pure good actually" or "they're pure evil actually" unlike the way some characters get treated. Mostly because a lot of characters that are treated as pure good (like Lisa) or pure evil (like Bart) often contradict that and it's annoying when they brush it under the carpet. Not doing that is probably why "Lisa's Rival" is far and away one of my favourite Lisa eps for instance...

Skimming @CousinMerl 's review, sidelining was definitely one of the bigger weaknesses of this one. Despite the lack of subplot, most of the important parts of the story go by too fast because there's either too much setup or too much superflous stuff. Honestly wonder if this wouldn't be better off as a "Road to Cincinatti" deal where the Simpsons are hardly there at all. Not like Smithers and/or Burns can't carry themselves in the same way. The bit at the end with the puppy kicking for instance felt like a blindside it came and went happened so suddenly.

Also TBF I wouldn't be surprised if the people of Springfield were canonically already immune to most known poisons including radiation. So the factory exploding was probably no biggie to them.

Skimming @CousinMerl 's review, sidelining was definitely one of the bigger weaknesses of this one.

As of late (and as I was writing the previous post in the thread), I've been wondering if my reviews have become too long to the point of tl;dr and since you said you skimmed it, I am pretty sure about it. I'll try to shrink down my reviews to the essentials from now on so that less people feel inclined to skip reading due to the number of paragraphs. Carry on.

Last edited:
They're lengthy for sure but I think they are easier to read than reviews on most review sites where they just seem to do a play-by-play and then maybe add an opinion or two. I've seen the episode, I know what happened, just give me your point of view.

Another thing, I thought one of the characters of The Simpsons would be swearing somewhere in this episode, but one of the Simpsons characters in this episode did not swear

Another thing, I thought one of the characters of The Simpsons would be swearing somewhere in this episode, but one of the Simpsons characters in this episode did not swear
That were JOKES from Johnny Lazebnik just to hype the episodr, if you still don't get:lol:

As of late (and as I was writing the previous post in the thread), I've been wondering if my reviews have become too long to the point of tl;dr and since you said you skimmed it, I am pretty sure about it. I'll try to shrink down my reviews to the essentials from now on so that less people feel inclined to skip reading due to the number of paragraphs. Carry on.
I still read your entire reviews. They’re very good. I like that you give your opinions on every scene.

Oh, I just mentioned skimming as less a "tl;dr" thing and more just "read through it once, not everything has sunk in fully" doesn't help that I've got a pretty horrible eye condition meaning sometimes reading is way harder than necessary. It wasn't meant as a knock at all...

I certainly underrated the episode, making previews.

Spoiler alert: it wasn't "the gayest episode ever" - yeah, there were gay staff, and it was much, but, how banal to say, the main topic is love. Also, just notice the mastercy of mix gay, ecology and fashion themes in once.😀

Guest stars worked well (except maybe of Christian Siriano's briefly cameo). I liked Christin Baranski's role.

Puppies part in the start and the and the end was really cute (as any animal's part), and really work.🥰

Hard to say what's bad (except overpounting on "gay"): maybe Marge's weird addiction behaviour with "OMG, it's Michael DeGraaf". Also I didn't like the Chernobyl series reference - no, I liked the reference itself (it was clever), but the way of execution was stupid.

Oh, and Michael Price was right: Burns' puzzle subplot is really funny:lol:

Forgot about Luigi and his mom - for some reason it was good.

In short, I give the episode 3.5 up to 4/5. It wasn't bad at all. I can declare: I was wrong.

(fyi, I saw the episode again in English, with English subtitles)

Back