Season 33 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mothers and Others Strangers is flashback episode
Source (Kelsey Sanders again. Thanks her)
1634582531956.png

Don't want to put any early bad/good estimations, but Al Jean gets really easier to write/produce something about the past of Simpsons universe. I mean he rather devoted to devolp the "bases" (whether it refferes to early seasons of show, or just about "not nowadays story" setting).

It also shown in his responds with fans about early years episodes - he seems more motivated. In the same time, doing now number of format-benders (past/history past/include canon history etc) make him really… happy 😶. Is it good? In a case with U02, the time will show…

Hope, you understood something of this I wanted to say. I'm just tired of the day

You know Bohdan, you probably could've asked Matt Selman on Twitter if there's gonna be guest stars for one of his showrunned episodes for the U-cycle, such as Pixelated and Afraid', 'The Longest Marge', 'Boyz N the Highlands', 'You Won't Believe What This Episode is About -- Act Three Will Shock You', 'Bart the Cool Kid', 'My Octopus and a Teacher', 'Girls Just Shauna Have Fun', 'Meat is Murder' and 'Poorhouse Rock'. I'm just saying

You know Bohdan, you probably could've asked Matt Selman on Twitter if there's gonna be guest stars for one of his showrunned episodes for the U-cycle, such as Pixelated and Afraid', 'The Longest Marge', 'Boyz N the Highlands', 'You Won't Believe What This Episode is About -- Act Three Will Shock You', 'Bart the Cool Kid', 'My Octopus and a Teacher', 'Girls Just Shauna Have Fun', 'Meat is Murder' and 'Poorhouse Rock'. I'm just saying
Just Sayin.jpg

Season 33 and this show is the #2 highest rated scripted series on broadcast TV on Sundays, even without the football bump. Al Jean needs to start hiring more crew, because both Disney+ and FOX will be wanting that spin-off series.

Guys guys guys! Al Jean is gonna be the showrunner for UABF19. So, perhaps UABF19 will probably be Treehouse of Horror XXXIII then

So by my count, Matt Selman will be showrunning 16 episodes for the UABF production cycle, while Al Jean will be showrunning 6 episodes for the UABF production cycle (including THOH XXXIII)

Last edited:
To your understand, what it going to be: remember Thanksgiving of Horror. There were as solid, clever-developed story, as horror itself, as satire. However, as well as TgoH, it WILL be disgusting over fans. But luckily, it will differ from Jean's THOHs

... it's thanks to Thanksgiving that I'm frankly conflicted. I'm not sure anyone can do this worse than Jean but with his track record, Selman might. Even disregarding the god-awful timing (which, thanks to last THOH, is no longer an excuse), it's still one of the most overrated episodes, and I'll leave it at that as long as you guys do. HoH though? Actually deserves the hype but I can only give a partial credit since it was co-run by Jean.

It'll still probably over-rely on body counts and gore, it'll still probably pull the same "happy" ending schtick and it'll still be redundantly picking on the same characters over and over...

And in the interest of being fair with y'all, it's not like I'm any better in this regard anymore. But while it'll almost certainly be more well-received most of it if not all will probably be down to our relief over it not being Jean for once. His regular episodes still mostly manage to only average 3/5s for all but the format benders. Without said format benders to act as a nice coat of paint the two still have a lot of the same problems. Halloween of Horror was just one of the only ones to be as genuinely great as it's made out to be, and I'm not sure if most of that wasn't just due to Caroline Omine being one of the few writers who seems like she's trying at all anymore.

But hey, maybe for once in my life I'll be wrong about my dumb pessimistic bullshit and maybe It'll actually be good. I'm always hoping I'm wrong. One-in-a-million chance but maybe they'll kill one of their darlings without a cop-out or give one of their favourite targets a break. I don't think Cletus has ever died onscreen and after the past two seasons and probably the upcoming Brandine ep I'd probably it points for killing him alone.

Officially: there won't be any new (or just any) episodes of AniDom on Sundays 2nd and 9th of January, 2022.
Jan 2nd: Gordon Ramsay’s new unscripted cooking competition, NEXT LEVEL CHEF, will premiere immediately following the NFL ON FOX doubleheader and THE OT in all time zones on Sunday, Jan. 2 (8:00-9:00 PM ET / 7:00-8:00 PM CT / 6:00-7:00 PM MT / 5:00-6:00 PM PT I still don't get all this timezones 🙃)
Jan 9th: Season Two of CALL ME KAT and the series premiere of new comedy PIVOTING will debut immediately following the NFL ON FOX doubleheader and THE OT in all time zones on Sunday, Jan. 9. Time period premieres for all three programs will be announced soon.

So, get ready for 2months break up to the end of Febr'22 after Dec, 19th (the named airdate for A Made Maggie) :oops: . And, I won't surprise, if they (Fox) decides to air exactly half of all season's episodes (of all AniDom shows) in "Fall season", and then the next half would return in Spring season. I can't believe, there won't be any new episodes either on Dec 5th or 12th.

Wait a minute, @That Don Guy is it known yet anything about Jan 16th or Jan 23rd? (one of these dates should be NFL, or something else, right?)

According to the wiki, both did.

... which is a scary thought that maybe if they worked more closely together they'd come up with some really good stuff? Like if it was an Oakley and Weinstein thing but if the rumours I heard were true, Jean would probably wanna deck me for suggesting he be more like them.

At least my transparent attempt at optimism is hoping it wasn't a one-off deal.

Just for clarification's sake, Al Jean is listed as "co-showrunner" for every one of Selman's episodes on the Wiki as they both maintain Executive Producer credits at the end of the episode. That's been the case from The Food Wife all the way through Bart's in Jail!.

Which may prove confusing on the surface but these are all very much Selman-run efforts.

At least the Wiki crew exercises due diligence to keep things maintained and accurate. The Simpsons fandom.com page for Thanksgiving of Horror only lists Al Jean as showrunner, for instance.

Huh. Well okay then, full point to him for that one. Though Halloween of Horror was ironically very different to regular THOHs so not sure it really says much on my end given how much I hated thanksgiving.

I swear I remembered other ones listening sole credits on Selman episodes... Eh when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. My B.

I'm even gonna be nice and say it's not like Al Jean can never ever do anything right. Just he's phoning it in extra hard lately and I think even the less observant watchers can tell. Maybe there'd be some improvements if he just took a break for a season or two but at that point would anyone want him back?

Okay, the prospect of finally having a Selman-ran Treehouse of Horror is exciting, not gonna lie. Still gonna temper my expectations until we know more of it, but if he only can handle this episode with the same level of care as Thanksgiving of Horror (extra runtime, short prologue and the time corresponding to each story's needs), that'd be already lovely enough.

I'm even gonna be nice and say it's not like Al Jean can never ever do anything right. Just he's phoning it in extra hard lately and I think even the less observant watchers can tell. Maybe there'd be some improvements if he just took a break for a season or two but at that point would anyone want him back?
Of course Al Jean can do things right. He has been in the show since its first season and probably nobody dedicated more time and put more effort into the show than him. The point is, the role of showrunner has an expiration date, and Al Jean reached it, like, in season 17? And, the most he keeps producing, the most the quality of his episodes decrease.

I mean, it's already hard for a show to be on air for 33 years without becoming repetitive, imagine if topping it all off, the same guy was the "leader" for twenty years. It eventually became tatty, and each year seems to be worse. I would be excited if Al Jean stays in the show as a writer, but someone who produced around 400 episodes has too little to offer.

Furthermore, the ideal situation of the show for me is that in the next production cycle Matt Selman takes the full charge, but already giving another person (Carolyn Omine?) the opportunity of running two or three episodes. Selman is already the third showrunner with more episodes produced, how much could he stay without a decline in quality?

Hm, Carolyn showrunning? That sounds like it might work out. Of course, my ultimate dream-team pick would be Alex Hirsch but y'know, he's got his own stuff to do. A girl can dream.

It might also be a good idea to go back to what the old seasons did and swap out showrunners every few seasons. They don't even need to leave the show entirely, maybe have a handful of people to rotate. Probably the biggest thing that kept the early ones fresh is I think each one had a slightly different direction and in the wrong hands it can be jarring (Scully era is mostly overhated imo but makes a good example this time) but otherwise it meant having something new to offer. Like the more humanistic quality of seasons 1-2, th worldbuilding in 8 and so on and each one can bring an outside perspective on how to polish things that someone might miss. Editors exist for a reason after all.

Of course Al Jean can do things right. He has been in the show since its first season and probably nobody dedicated more time and put more effort into the show than him. The point is, the role of showrunner has an expiration date, and Al Jean reached it, like, in season 17? And, the most he keeps producing, the most the quality of his episodes decrease.

I mean, it's already hard for a show to be on air for 33 years without becoming repetitive, imagine if topping it all off, the same guy was the "leader" for twenty years. It eventually became tatty, and each year seems to be worse. I would be excited if Al Jean stays in the show as a writer, but someone who produced around 400 episodes has too little to offer.

Furthermore, the ideal situation of the show for me is that in the next production cycle Matt Selman takes the full charge, but already giving another person (Carolyn Omine?) the opportunity of running two or three episodes. Selman is already the third showrunner with more episodes produced, how much could he stay without a decline in quality?
Or what about Michael Price, hmm?

Regarding hypothetical "new showrunner outside AJ or MS", it must be a young, fresh blood. No offence nor ageism things, but if we want the show follow the trends and becoming "fresh", that person also must have "fresh" mind and better (even than Selman now) understanding of show.

HOMER AND NED’S NIGHTMARE CONTINUES

ON AN ALL-NEW “THE SIMPSONS”

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 14, ON FOX

Don’t Miss the Thrilling Conclusion to the Two-Part Episode “A Serious Flanders”

Uff-da! Things for Ned and Homer go from bad to gosh-darn worse in the stunning conclusion of this SIMPFLIX prestige crime thriller in the all-new “A Serious Flanders (Part 2)” episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Nov. 14 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3222) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

Guest Voice Cast: Chris O’Dowd as Seamus, Brian Cox as Kostas Becker, Cristin Milioti as Barb, Joe Mantegna as Fat Tony, Jessica Pare as Collette, Timothy Olyphant as Sheriff Flanders

SIMPFLIX prestige crime
So, that wasn't just ComicCon joke, was it?

P.S. Pay attention to the braces in the "right" title

Last edited:
Also note that Part 1 will be repeated on 11/14 at 7:30 Eastern, just before the Part 2 airing. If you missed Part 1 the first time, you'd better hope that either you (a) don't live in the Eastern or Central time zone, (b) your local Fox station is showing a 1:00 Eastern game, or (c) if you do get a 4:05 game, it doesn't run long, as Fox usually airs repeats joined in progress rather than delaying the entire schedule in just a few cities.

Don’t Miss the Thrilling Conclusion to the Two-Part Episode “A Serious Flanders”

Uff-da! Things for Ned and Homer go from bad to gosh-darn worse in the stunning conclusion of this SIMPFLIX prestige crime thriller in the all-new “A Serious Flanders (Part 2)” episode of THE SIMPSONS airing Sunday, Nov. 14 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3222) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson and Nelson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Tress MacNeille as Dolph; Pamela Hayden as Milhouse; Harry Shearer as Flanders

Guest Voice Cast: Chris O’Dowd as Seamus, Brian Cox as Kostas Becker, Cristin Milioti as Barb, Joe Mantegna as Fat Tony, Jessica Pare as Collette, Timothy Olyphant as Sheriff Flanders

Huh! That sounds kinda interesting

Sorry for the double post here, but what can I say also? It seems like that the 2-parter episode will conclude the QABF production cycle next month

nice. link please?
I still don't get where the links to the foxflash pages appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back