Recent content by The Love-Matic Grandpa!

1. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

Rate and Review: "The Ten-Per-Cent Solution" (PABF02)

2/5 Joan did a nice job, but this episode just felt like a rehash of old ideas and premises. Krusty works best as a "punchline character" these days.
  2. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

Rate and Review: "Holidays of Future Passed" (NABF18)

3.5, leaning heavily towards 4. As "future episodes" go, this wasn't bad (at least compared to "Future-Drama") and for once the characterizations were on point. They also relaxed on the space-age gags and actually had a focused, family-driven story for once, so points there as well. It's...
  3. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

Your Worst Episode and Why?/Why do you hate Saddlestore Galactica?

1. Bart To The Future/Future Drama: Quite possibly two of the most unnecessary episodes ever. 2. Once Upon A Time In Springfield: Did we really need a Krusty love story complete with the most blatant Mary Sue of all time? 3. Donnie Fatso: In terms of the ratio of "jokes" to actual laughs...
  4. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

Rate and Review The Food Wife (NABF20)

3.55, rounded up to 4. Pretty good by modern Simpsons standards, below average when compared to the Classic Era.
  5. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

Running gags that just disappeared?

Basically, whenever there was a Springfield Elementary School pageant of some kind, Principal Skinner would also try and peddle some watered-down "orange drink" to the parents in order to make some extra money for the failing school. The gag didn't last long, but it always made me laugh.
  6. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

There were always these little hints that Marge had a bit of a dirty side: her whispered comment to Homer about the Washington Monument, her comment to Lisa in "Lisa The Greek", the entire plotline of "Natural Born Kissers". etc. And let's not forget where Bart was conceived. It just added...
  7. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

- Marge's slight perverted streak (which went a long way to explaining her marriage to Homer). - Skinner's random mispronunciations. - ORANGE DRINK. - Chief Wiggum's "that's some good/fine work, boys" proclamation after the Springfield cops do something asinine or inappropriate. - Grandpa's...
  8. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

American Dad! Rate & Review: A Ward Show

My guess is that Seth and the crew are big fans of Kevin Michael Richardson and just want to feature him as much as possible. It's also possible that Rachael just isn't available or simply isn't interested in playing Hayley anymore, or that Jeff Fischer (the real one) is the one who is...
  9. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

R&R Two Cars In Every Garage, Three Eyes on Every Fish

That's how much those scenes bothered me, especially since in "Blood Feud" she was practically in hysterics when Homer was about to send Burns that nasty letter because it would have cost him his job. What did she think would happen if Homer had turned Burns down or campaigned against him? I...
  10. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

R&R Two Cars In Every Garage, Three Eyes on Every Fish

3.5 Marge's behavior during "Two Cars In Every Garage, Three Eyes On Every Fish" has always bugged the hell out of me. Granted, Monty Burns IS a terrible man and would have made an even worse governor, but her anger at Homer seems petty considering that Burns is his BOSS and thus Homer had no...
  11. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

Rate and Review Allen Gregory - 1 Night in Gottlieb

Part of me thinks that if George Clooney came to them with a concept where a guy picks his nose and eats it for thirty minutes, FOX would rush it on the air immediately just for the "privilege" of working with an A-Lister. Because I don't see how something like this makes it to air without Jonah...
  12. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

The Biggest flaw in modern Simpsons episodes

The fact that they consider lampshade hanging and self-deprecation genuine substitutes for clever writing and great characterization. Instead of making "jokes" about non-endings and the continuity errors and whatnot, why not strive to deal with the issues and make the show better?
  13. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

Rate/Review South Park "A History Channel Thanksgiving"

2.5 Basically, it felt like they were treading over old ground, the Portman stuff wasn't very funny or clever (and, as noted above, they missed the obvious joke) and the kids weren't given very much to do at all. I was actually expecting this to be a much harsher indictment of History Channel...
  14. The Love-Matic Grandpa!

Why do People hate on The Simpsons so much?

This is the best dissection of MacFarlane's comedic style that I've ever read. Insightful and 100% true. Kudos.
Back