Recent content by Gollywock

1. Gollywock

Rate And Review: Sunday Cruddy Sunday

The worst episode until that point in the series, I didn't remember it being this bad. I actually quite liked the beginning but it all turns to shit once Wally comes in, and the third act is just pure garbage. Not a single redeeming quality, all the jokes fall flat, the guest stars are useless...
  2. Gollywock

Rate & Review D'oh in the Wind

I actually didn't mind this one. I laughed a few times, there were some cool visuals and the plot, while a bit wacky, did fit Homer pretty well. I liked the flashback part too, it didn't shit over past episodes which is a rare occurence in post-classic seasons. Really there wasn't anything...
  3. Gollywock

R&R Trash of the Titans

I just can't get over Homer in this one. The whole conflict in this episode was sparked by him being a jerk, and it only gets worse from here. He insulted garbagemen and refused to apologize, forcing his family to live in a literal trash heap, threatened to beat his children (I'd argue this is...
  4. Gollywock

R/R Trouble With Trillions

The tax stuff at the beginning was really good, would have felt at home in season 4. Once the FBI comes in the episode does a complete 180 and falls apart, with few jokes, terrible characterization and a nonsensical plot. And don't even get me started on that ending, what the hell was that? Just...
  5. Gollywock

Rate & Review: Simpson Tide

I'm not a fan of wacky episodes, and this is one of the wackiest up to that point. This one also has pacing issues especially in the first act. Things happen extremely fast for no apparent reason, it just feels like a collection of rushed scenes whose only purpose is to get Homer in a submarine...
  6. Gollywock

R&R Lisa the Simpson

Possibily the last classic-feeling episode. Great character-driven, emotional story with plenty of laughs too. The best episode in an otherwise mediocre season 9. 5/5
  7. Gollywock

R&R: The Last Temptation of Krust

I really like the premise of this episode, maybe a bit more than its execution. Taking a look at Krusty's style of comedy and him coming to terms with being out of touch was an interesting idea. I usually hate guest star appearances but I'll give them a pass this time, they provided a good...
  8. Gollywock

Rate & Review: The Joy Of Sect

One of the first truly bad shows IMO. This may be the wackiest episode at this point, and this is not a compliment. Call me negative but the whole "Homer enrolls the whole family into a cult" thing doesn't sit well with me. With the exception of the levitating bike/comb and its callback none of...
  9. Gollywock

All Singing, All Dancing

I used to hate this episode with a passion, but after rewatching it... I kinda like it actually. I think Bob's Burgers has helped reconcile me with musical numbers. I found the Snake bits unfunny and the Paint Your Wagon stuff does nothing for me but you have to admit there have been some top...
  10. Gollywock

Rate and Review: Simpsons Spinoff Showcase

Just because it's supposed to be bad, doesn't mean it's good. Being a parody of bad TV doesn't give it a free pass and reading people smugly saying "but you guys don't get it, it's satire " as if we were absolute drooling morons just makes me roll my eyes. The last two segments were unfunny...
  11. Gollywock

Rate & Review: "Left Behind" (XABF12)

I really liked this one. Everyone was in character, I chuckled a bunch of times (I'd even go as far as to say one or two gags were classic-worthy), the opening was actually pretty sweet if unoriginal, it was really nice seeing Ned, Rod, Todd, even kids like Richard... Many good things to be...
  12. Gollywock

Rate & Review: "Forgive and Regret" (XABF09)

What's this? Actual emotion that feels genuine and not hamfisted? Backstory that fits in with the show's classic universe? Well I'll be damned, I really liked this one. Jerkass Homer at the beginning had me worried but aside from that I can't see much wrong here. The escape room bit felt a bit...
  13. Gollywock

Rate & Review: "Lisa Gets the Blues" (XABF11)

What the hell was that crap? Pure garbage. This episode had some of the worst jokes in the show's history, there was way too much meta-humor and padding, the (unoriginal) plot didn't go anywhere and the ending was yet another cheap copout. Also the whole thing felt off for some reason. At least...
  14. Gollywock

Rate & Review: "King Leer" (XABF10)

Pretty good episode. I like that they didn't bother with a useless B-plot, this episode definitely did not need it and it kept things flowing nicely. That intro with Bart's violin was a bit strange though, definitely the weakest point of the episode for me. It wasn't terrible but this was the...
  15. Gollywock

Rate & Review: "No Good Read Goes Unpunished" (XABF07)

An extremely dull episode with almost no redeeming qualities. The Wiggum balloon rabbit joke was actually a pretty great, quick unexpected joke with no pointless beat. That was the only nice thing I had to say about this episode. Between the cringeworthy attempts at being relevant, the terrible...
Back