Recent content by Commodus

1. C

Least Humorous Simpsons episode you've watched?

Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? is probably the most joyless, unpleasant episode I've watched. This kid stops believing in God, so Ned kicks him out of the house, the Simpsons hate him, and everyone contrives to trick him back into Christianity. Where's the joke? What's the punchline? NO...
  2. C

Any Episodes From the Classic Era That You Hate?

Homer the Heretic for sure. The episode ends with Marge being completely validated and Homer being pressured into going back to church. Why should he? To make his wife happy? He clearly doesn't give a damn, and frankly that's his right. Pro tip: If you try to emotionally blackmail people into...
  3. C

What are the best episodes after the golden age?

Does Behind the Laughter count? Because that is one of the best episodes they ever made. Just an incredible premise and they absolutely get the most out of the fourth-wall breaks. Homer's demo version of the show, Lisa writing a sleazy book bashing her family, the lawyers at Thanksgiving. It's...
  4. C

What episode had a better political satire: Two Cars in Every Garage or Sideshow Bob Roberts?

I'd say Trash of the Titans beats them both. People have called that episode prophetic of the current trend of populist government, and I tend to agree. It cuts incredibly close to the bone, showing the damage an ignorant and backwards electorate can cause when they lack the intelligence to...
  5. C

What do you think about the fake Simpson family?

I think I'd like to see their rendition of Come Blow Your Horn.
  6. C

Most offensive jokes?

The trillion dollar bill episode REALLY annoyed me when it tried to make a joke out of the European struggle against the Nazis. Regardless of what they say, many nations didn't fight poorly or surrender readily. The French Resistance was incredibly daring and brave. And Britain, who they lumped...
  7. C

Worst things Homer and Marge have done to Bart

Funny thing is, in Homer's Enemy, I had absolutely no problem with Homer himself. To me, Grimes was the villain of that story, because he couldn't accept the friendship of someone well-meaning and kind, because of his own elitism. If Homer was more like he was in that episode, I'd probably have...
  8. C

Is Marge Doing It On Purpose

See, this wouldn't be a problem if she learned from her mistakes, and the show actually carried on with this character devlopment shaping her and the stories they told about Marge. But their obsession with retaining the status quo has, over the years, made the characters more and more grotesque...
  9. C

The idea of Bart ruining their lives is kind of supported by how often modern Simpsons has expected us to feel pity for Homer because he had "dreams" when he was younger and somehow his kids just existing destroyed them. This self pity is constantly supported by the story, and we're meant to...
  10. C

Not respecting his choice to convert to Catholicisim - it wouldn't bug me so much if she actually learned a lesson, but the episode attributes blame equally, rather than addressing her bigotry as the sole cause of conflict. Marge is meant to be a good mother, and a good person. They keep making...
  11. C

Will Apu be getting any more speaking roles?

As long as, at some point, they refer to his entire character up to that point as a "reign of terror".
  12. C

If You Worked With Homer...

Honestly, in my life I've seen that emotional intelligence and charisma get you MUCH further than book smarts. I wouldn't begrudge Homer his success, because I know people who have a good life and got there without even the benefit of a decent school education. I'm not going to look down on the...
  13. C

What is the worst joke to ever come out of this show?

The constant "jokes" about Moe wanting to kill himself, perhaps? I often wonder if the writers ever considered that people watching their show might have emotional problems, and maybe turning suicide into a punchline might not be the most compassionate thing to do. But hey, it's "just a...
  14. C

Pinpointing the Worst Moment in Simpsons History

I am not looking for an argument, but I am genuinely interested to hear why you like that episode? It's okay if you do, of course, as we all have different opinions and tastes! For myself, the worst moment is really hard to pin down. Because the show's lack of heart in modern years was a direct...
  15. C

Biggest Hypocrite on the show

Homer. Whines and cries about his Mother abandoning him, then shows no interest in his daughters and physically abuses his son - and always, ALWAYS prioritizes his wife over them. Bitches and moans about how he had dreams of success, but can't be assed to actually work hard. Never works, but...
Back