Recent content by bartyboy

1. bartyboy

Your top-10 movie endings!

in no order: Casablanca Chinatown Vertigo The 400 Blows Modern Times Citizen Kane Bicycle Thieves Sunset Blvd. Late Spring The Third Man
  2. bartyboy

Underrated Disney Movies

Hmm... •The Rescuers Down Under is the best Disney animated film of the 1990s, by a pretty wide margin •Victory Through Air Power is surprisingly powerful stuff, and it's pretty fascinating to watch •In terms of live action 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is great, Disney’s best live action film...
  3. bartyboy

Most recent year that you haven't seen a movie from

2014 - Grand Budapest Hotel 2013 - Inside Llewyn Davis 2012 - Moonrise Kingdom 2011 - Midnight in Paris 2010 - The Social Network 2009 - Star Trek 2008 - Wall-E 2007 - There Will Be Blood 2006 - The Departed 2005 - V for Vendetta 2004 - Before Sunset 2003 - Lost in Translation 2002 - Punch Drunk...
  4. bartyboy

Looking for a 1956 movie?
  5. bartyboy

Both Ikiru and Umberto D. are pretty great as well.
  6. bartyboy

The NHC's Top 100 Films

EDIT: I thought for some reason this was a ranking, not having anything to do with points. Fixed. 50 - The Apartment (1960) 49 - Citizen Kane (1941) 48 - Casablanca (1942) 47 -Rear Window (1954) 46 -Modern Times (1936) 45 -Dr. Strangelove (1964) 44 -Touch of Evil (1958) 43 -Double Indemnity...
  7. bartyboy

Acclaimed movies you didn't like

Oh boy, let's see... Seven Samurai Lord of the Rings (I'm not a fan of any of them, Return of the King least of all) Once Upon a Time in the West Full Metal Jacket Monty Python and the Holy Grail Lion King Reservoir Dogs V for Vendetta Gravity The Usual Suspects M*A*S*H Lawrence of Arabia...
  8. bartyboy

Your least favorite movie genre

Always? There's plenty of great older examples: The Apartment, The Philadelphia Story, City Lights, Bringing up Baby, It Happened One Night, Trouble in Paradise, Sullivan's Travels, Some Like it Hot...
  9. bartyboy

Your least favorite movie genre

The 400 Blows, Breathless, The Seventh Seal, Bicycle Thieves, 8 1/2, and Battleship Potemkin are a few common examples
  10. bartyboy

General DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS/etc Discussion Thread

There's an $8 off blu-ray coupon (in-store only though) that I've been making good use of, plus the member discount. So far I've managed to grab Rushmore, Paths of Glory, Breathless, and In the Mood for Love for $10 each...I'm having trouble deciding what to go for next.
  11. bartyboy

General DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS/etc Discussion Thread

Reminder that the B&N criterion sale is running right now. I'm loving these criterion blus for $9.99...
  12. bartyboy

Movie from that year.

1974:
  13. bartyboy

Movie from that year.

1971:
  14. bartyboy

Which season had the best animation?

There's a difference between remaining on-model and being overly-clinical, stiff, and lifeless.
Back