Very unpopular opinions.

That 90's Show isn't all that bad in isolation. My issue with it is that I think that Marge and Homer's love story is sacred and kind of rooted in the 1970s. Any attempt to change that results in a jarring anachronism.

Last edited:
I can't stand That '90s Show. It takes away the specialness of The Way We Was. Homer fighting to get the girl from that pompous ass Artie is what makes it great.

Moe probably has the most inconsistent backstory of any non-elderly character in the show. He also said once he was born in Indiana. Still, a yeti for a dad is just too far fetched, even for that. Yes, I can buy that the tapestry was made of demon wool, because that was a thing in of itself. I guess, like with the 1001 Nights thing, I was so caught up in seeing the rag in historical places that a blatant fantasy thing was a bit jarring.

Moe probably has the most inconsistent backstory of any non-elderly character in the show. He also said once he was born in Indiana. Still, a yeti for a dad is just too far fetched, even for that. Yes, I can buy that the tapestry was made of demon wool, because that was a thing in of itself. I guess, like with the 1001 Nights thing, I was so caught up in seeing the rag in historical places that a blatant fantasy thing was a bit jarring.

Didn't we see Moe's dad in King Leer anyway?

I actually didn't care for king leer. The bedbugs just creeped me out and I hated how overused "reach around" was.

They aren't really props, but Patty and Selma have always been out to ruin Homer's life. That was a key aspect of their relationship since basically their earliest appearance.

What's kind of unfortunate is how they are 2 of the few characters not to have their characterization ruined, but they were already 2 of the most unlikable Simpsons characters.

But their voices were ruined. God..

They aren't really props, but Patty and Selma have always been out to ruin Homer's life. That was a key aspect of their relationship since basically their earliest appearance.

The I'll only time I have ever scene one of the kids defend Homer was the first episode where Lisa tells Patty that she didn't appreciate her badmouthing her father and Wedding for Disaster where they catch Fatty and Smellma trying to wreck Homer and Marge's wedding. The major problem is Marge. She allows it to happen. She even allows it in her house. This shouldn't happen.

What's kind of unfortunate is how they are 2 of the few characters not to have their characterization ruined, but they were already 2 of the most unlikable Simpsons characters.

But their voices were ruined. God..

I disagree. The only one whose kind of been ruined is Apu and that's a situation that is outside their control. Even then they just reduced his role in the show.

Season 29 may be in my top 5 HD seasons. The only truly awful episodes were No Good Read Goes Unpunished, Singing in the Lane, Fears of a Clown, and Throw Grampa From the Dane.

But stuff like Gone Boy, Flanders' Ladder, Mr. Lisa's Opus, King Leer, Springfield Splendor, Left Behind, and Forgive and Regret are all fantastic episodes and definitely some of the HD era's best.

I did think that season 29 had lower lows, but much higher highs - unlike season 30 where, granted, there weren't much episodes that were anywhere near as bad as Singin' in The Lane etc, there weren't any truly brilliant episodes either.

In terms of highs and above average episode I'd go out on a limb and say that season 29 is the best HD season so far (which I have stated before, I'm sure).

That's possible actually. The other main one I can think of would be season 27, which had both Halloween of Horror and Barthood in the same few weeks.

Well, its more the idea that the two episodes most people consider to be the best of the show since the 90s, happened to be in the same season.

Yeah but the other episodes that season I liked, such as Simprovised and To Courier With Love were just decent

I miss the times when Chef Wiggum, Krusty, and Principal Skinner were likable and actually enjoy what their jobs (or at least took it seriously) and didn't act like whiny bitches and behave super dumb like they do now :)

Again, with this one Chief Wiggum has always been the bumbling police chief.
Other than that, I'm not sure how they "behave super dumb".

I have no issues whatsoever with Wiggum. He's still consistently one of the funniest characters on the show. Hank Azaria is exceptional and his performances have virtually never faltered.

I do think Skinner has been a bit...neutered since Chalmers became a more regular presence though. They're almost always attached at the hip and I think Skinner has lost some of the backbone he had in the early years (his relationship with Agnes notwithstanding).

I don't think Skinner ever really had any backbone, except for in his Vietnam flashbacks.
He's a by the book guy. His mother and Chalmers are the authority figures in his life, and as such he follows their lead.

Right, that's true, I don't think backbone was quite the right word. What I meant to say was that Skinner has more or less been bullied into submission by his domineering mother (whose cruelty has worsened over the years) and a disparaging Chalmers (who used to be an occasional rather than semi-regular character). When you factor Bart's insolence into the equation as well, I would argue that Skinner has been reduced to a proverbial punching bag. There was always a pitiable aspect to the character - Principal Charming is a great example of that - but I don't think it was quite as pervasive during the classic era and, for me at least, it has made Skinner a less interesting character.

Skinner generally showed more competence and commanded more respect early on in the series. I'd definitely agree that Chalmers being around all the time has undermined all traces of authority he once had. The pitiable side was there too, but over time he just became...well...

pPdNZ3c.jpg

Yeah, that.

Conveniently, that scene that became a meme is actually a good of example of how Skinner used to wield some semblance of authority, with Bart being scared of getting caught spray painting graffiti and getting into trouble. These days, rather than toss the can away in fear, he'd be more likely to just turn around and blast paint in Skinner's face.

As for Wiggum, he was always bumbling and slow on the uptake, though it's arguably been taken to cartoonish levels of incompetence as time went on.

I really dislike how Skinner and Chalmers are almost always together. Chalmers brings nothing to the table and just serves as a straight man to Skinner’s pathetic nature. I believe Skinner once did command more respect, and he was also a good enough character to stand on his own. That’s not the case anymore.

Skinner does not really need to command respect anymore because we have already seen that he has the students' respect or at least earned it tremendously.
Chalmers being around by its very nature has to undermine Skinner's authority because Chalmers has the power to overrule anything (even fire) Skinner whenever he chooses.
As for being competent, none of the characters are really overtly competent, but Skinner still maintains his same level if only played for comedic effect.

I don't like Milhouse that much. I mean, he has his funny moments, but he's mostly annoying and not a very good friend. His dad is a better character than him.

Wow, now this is unpopular. I can agree with the idea that Kirk is a better character, but I am not sure how one would arrive at the conclusion that Milhouse is not a good friend. It seems clear that Bart is the bad influence, with Milhouse having some bad influence in him but not as much, so I think if anything Milhouse is a good friend for his loyalty to Bart despite how much trouble the latter gets the former in.

I know it may be contradictory, but I think that Another Simpsons Clip Show is actually great (or, at least, nice) episode.

Back