Question for non-Americans

What American terms have you learned from The Simpsons? For example, I learned Americans use the term "parking lot", whereas us Brits use the term "car park".

is the term car-hole or car-hold? I always assume it was the second? have i been wrong all these years?!

oh and i say d'oh a lot. sometimes i even try my hardest to say it like homer

Absolutely loads, pretty sure alot of my basic knowledge on America originally came from The Simpsons - due to the fact I watched it from a young age.

The one I particularly remember though was the American spelling 'mom'. I was only about 3 or 4 when I saw it written on The Simpsons, and I'd only really learned to spell 'mum'. I was so confused until someone explained American spelling differences to me, that I thought maybe it had been written by Bart and it was a joke that he couldn't spell it :P

i do

but seriously, everyone is stereotyped in case you didn't know. especially irish and canadians. they really have no idea.

Angus McCloud is my local haggis distributor and no I actually relocated from North Kilt Town to South Kilt Town, much more whisky festivals there in the lead up to the annual Scotchtoberfest.

Last edited:
In America, "color" is the correct spelling :)

Even though it's still very much incorrect. I've always stood by my statement of Americans being unable to spell most words correctly, have done for years. And an easy way to confuse yanks is to use the word "chips" in the British sense referring French Fries.

As for what terms I've picked up from the show.. hard to say.. I've watched the show for too long, so I've forgotten what they were, if I did. :P

Back