Official Season 15 DVD & Blu-Ray

Just picked the season up last night ! Really happy with my purchase ! The colors and the animation is really top notch for something that's on DVD. So far, I've watched "I d'oh-bot", "Tis the fifteenth season", "My mother the carjacker", "Fraudcast news" (I've watched these four episodes without commentary for the time being). And I also watched the bonus "The Unusual Ones" which was very very interesting !

The "Living in the moment" bonus was sort of a rip-off in my opinion. Personally, I had already seen all the photos they showed. You can probably still find quite a few of them on the internet.

Once I've gone through all the episodes without playing the commentary, I'll do a second run of all the episodes with commentary. ;) I like the little booklet. Menus are great, sub menus are great !

The only thing that annoys me a tad : I would of liked to have 2 or 3 more extras of the same length and quality as "The Unusual ones" extra !!!

was there a featurette about otto? like they did with the past characters on the covers from seasons 11-14

i'm in australia so i have to wait until the 12th to get simpsons season 15 dvd and futurama season 7 bluray

i don't get the simpsons bluray because i prefer the packaging for dvd, besides on blu-ray the simpsons isnt true hd and only looks a bit better

Saw that. Seems they're happy about it, and I guess I can sort of see the draw of the simplicity of a plastic case. Plus the slimmer size. But really, if I'm gonna drop $30+ on a release, I want some presentation to the package. Not just a plain old bluray case. The DVD packages, going all the way back to season 1, have great original art and (in later seasons) there are some really creative themes that run throughout the sets. The season 11+ DVD sets may not have the best disc holders, though IMO they have greatly improved via tweaks, but the two sided panorama images are just too cool to omit from the bluray releases. They really get me in the mood for some Simpsons watching time.

If you plan staring at and fondling the box, more power to you. After season 13/14 on BR, I'm done with buying the show on DVD and if I really want the dang cardboad case, I'll buy the DVD set off amazon for 8 bucks. On a 55" TV, DVD Simpsons is fuzzy and soft, its terrible.

If you plan staring at and fondling the box, more power to you. After season 13/14 on BR, I'm done with buying the show on DVD and if I really want the dang cardboad case, I'll buy the DVD set off amazon for 8 bucks. On a 55" TV, DVD Simpsons is fuzzy and soft, its terrible.

What the fuck, dude? This is a Simpsons fan site, I'm a Simpsons fan who happens to like the presentation of the DVD packaging. Don't give me that "fondling the box" bullshit.

And $8 on Amazon? Tell me where you get these amazing deals because even the early seasons are still $40.

--

I realize your a mod, but I submitted a report for your post. I just don't appreciate people belittling members like myself because they like certain niches of The Simpsons or because they might care a bit more about stuff like DVD packaging.

Last edited:
you make fun of someone for caring about having something pleasant to look at, then you complain about Picture Quality... :lol:

wanting a good design to look at = wanting to fondling the box

seems legit

Yeah, if you can barely see your movie, then you have a right to complain.

Box art, who gives a shit?

Call me old fashioned, but back back in my day we purchased movies for the movie and how neato the box was made no difference.

"But the box isn't as interesting!"....um, wow. :/
yeah that's totally what he said

I don't think it's particularly unreasonable or shameful to want a quality-looking physical product otherwise we'd all be living like repo man

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

in my day we purchased movies for the movie and not the pixel density or whatever

I dunno about you, but I wouldn't be able to watch a movie if vaseline was smeared all over the screen.

For people saying there is not much difference between the DVD and blu-ray as these seasons were not produced in HD - I have just completed watching Season 13 on blu-ray, and am now watching some of 12, and the difference is incredibly noticeable. I know it's difficult to compare as obviously 12 isn't available on blu-ray, but the overall look in comparison is quite washed out and blurry. Even comparing, for example, clips used in Gump Roast you can see how much an improvement blu-ray has provided in the image quality.

In the end I don't care which version people choose to buy, but just for those saying there wouldn't be much improvement without seeing it for themselves, well, there is.

Just watched "The Unusual Ones" on Disc 2 and it's interesting. Basically the writers and animators talking about certain scenes that had a distinctly different style to them, or were straight up parodies of various animated movies.

Yeah I just watched this bit last night. I loved the comparisons of what was written on the script to what the animators did... really fascinating to hear them talk about their interpretations and such.

This is easily the last season I'll be buying (last one of any nostalgic value), the episodes are insanely inconsistent. At least Scully episodes garner some laughs... a good deal of these just have me scratching my head. (like "Today I Am a Clown"... which I remember being better than it actually was)

Like I've said earlier in the thread, I really enjoy the presentation of the packaging. This is the merch forum, and some of us are Simpsons collectors. As such, some of us (like Dark Homer said) like to have a quality-looking physical product. Some of us have dvd/blu-ray libraries and like displaying their tv/movies. If others don't care about the box that their discs come in, that's fine by me. Not my collection, not my money. Having said that, why talk down to me and use shit like "fondling the box"? I respect your decision to not care about the packaging, so respect my decision to factor packaging in when deciding between DVD and blu-ray.

Regarding picture quality, I love a good picture, but really I've watched half of season 15 so far with my blu-ray player, upconverting the DVD, and it looks great (1080p 42" plasma). So I'm very happy with my purchase. Once season 20's rerelease rolls around I'll make the switch.

Not trying to contribute to the argument, I just can't recall anyone ever making any comparisons between the blu-ray and the DVDs (just so people can see). On the left are shots from episodes from various seasons, and on the right is the same shot taken from Gump Roast from the Season 13 blu-ray. The Mom and Pop Art one is the least different out of all of them, though you can see the colors are slightly different. I was surprised when I compared the Secrets of a Successful Marriage shots - if Fox ended up offering all the earlier seasons on blu at that kind of quality I would definitely re-buy.

Of course this really applies more to the hand-painted seasons (1-13, start of 14) where there are obvious inconsistencies with the colours and inked lines between frames and even characters in the same frames; the higher bandwidth of blu-ray allows more consistent detail when dealing with such things, while there is a bit of artefacting on the DVD versions. The difference becomes almost negligible once you reach Season 14+, as the digital source means any difference in picture is due solely to the limitations of the medium (eg: the DVDs would be more prone to banding and artefacts, but things like the colours shouldn't be affected as much, if at all, as digital colouring means everything is more consistent).

Miracle on Evergreen Terrace - Season 9
screenshot20121209at110.png

A Tale of Two Springfields - Season 12
screenshot20121209at111.png

Mom and Pop Art - Season 10

Secrets of a Successful Marriage - Season 5

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see how the screens from Gump Roast on DVD compare to the screens from Gump Roast on blu-ray. As is, the comparison isn't really 1:1, since you're taking a later clip show and comparing the clips within the show to their original airings and transfers.

--

Anyway, just to make clear I was never arguing that the blu-rays of 13+ don't look a bit better in the video department, though as you've mentioned the digital coloring really makes for a consistant image and as such, the difference between DVD and blu-ray is a lot less noticeable. I did rent 14 on blu-ray when it released, and all I noticed was sharper black lines when standing close to the TV. But back on the couch, I saw little to no difference.

I just checked out the Secrets of a Successful Marriage clip in Gump Roast on DVD and even there colors are much better and image is sharper. Must be some adjustments were made to the colors within the episode itself.

Last edited:
It would have cost too much to go back and scrub up these clips just to make them look better for a clip show (considering the whole point of clip shows was to save money), there is obviously a copy of these episodes lying somewhere in the same condition you see on the right. Maybe it comes down to where Fox has been sourcing the episodes from for the DVDs compared to where the producers got the clips for this particular episode (maybe they have their own private library instead of having to use the Fox library?). Either way I think this goes a bit beyond just blu-ray itself, more that if there are clearly better-looking versions of the episodes than what Fox has been offering, why are we not getting those transfers instead?* I know I'm just whinging now, but I find it difficult to watch Seasons 7 through 10 on DVD on my HDTV as I find a lot of episodes have a weird 'shimmering' look about them (hopefully people get what I mean, as I have seen this complaint thrown around from time to time) - any kind of picture upgrade for earlier seasons would be incredibly welcome!

*Oh wait, this is the same Fox that keeps dragging the series on forever, but only gives us one new home video release a year.

Back