what about another episode about the future?

Fox Executive

the original Sex Pistol
it's been a long time since we've seen the last future episode. and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to do another one. so far, future episodes ranked from brilliant (Lisa's Wedding) to almost-worst.episode.ever. (Bart to the Future). so it's a hit-or-miss. and looking at the recent seasons, it probably will be a miss (not if executed well). so i don't really think it's necessary.
but i think they'll do one next year. it's november 2009 now, Lisa's wedding's just around the corner...

They did one in season 6, then one every 5 years {11, 16}, so if they follow this pattern there should be a new one this season. But I doubt it, maybe next season. Of course there's a lot they could do for another one of these, so it could be pulled off well, they should have a ton of ideas

Why not? I like the future episodes. I think the best one is Bart to the Future (S11) but I'm not really sure what event they could cover - Maybe Bart's Wedding? lol.

how about a 22 short films in springfield-type episode where we see how everybody's lives are in the future? that would be pretty interesting

... I don't know that honestly sounds a little too intense to me. They've technically already done something along those lines with Blowfish, in which we already see how Homer would try to spend his last day, except it came with the opportunity that Homer wouldn't necessarily actually die.

If it's a future episode about his actual death then that's just... depressing. Honestly Homer isn't the best person ever but he's far from the worst and he cares about his family, his family cares about him, and I can't see an episode like that be humorous at all really. There have been other stories about Homer potentially dying in the past but they've always come along with the possibility that he could pull through; if it's an episode specifically making use of the futuristic setting then they can't really get away with him living by the end regardless.

I honestly just can't see it playing out and not being upsetting, and not even necessarily in an awesome way like Mother Simpson or anything.

But clearly I'm taking this too much to heart. Uh... I'm neutral as to whether or not I want another future episode. Could be interesting, and there's pretty much an unlimited number of possibilities as to what they could look at in the episode, but at the same time, I'm not really desperate for one or anything. They could do one or they couldn't, it doesn't really make a difference to me.

... I don't know that honestly sounds a little too intense to me. They've technically already done something along those lines with Blowfish, in which we already see how Homer would try to spend his last day, except it came with the opportunity that Homer wouldn't necessarily actually die.

If it's a future episode about his actual death then that's just... depressing. Honestly Homer isn't the best person ever but he's far from the worst and he cares about his family, his family cares about him, and I can't see an episode like that be humorous at all really. There have been other stories about Homer potentially dying in the past but they've always come along with the possibility that he could pull through; if it's an episode specifically making use of the futuristic setting then they can't really get away with him living by the end regardless.

I honestly just can't see it playing out and not being upsetting, and not even necessarily in an awesome way like Mother Simpson or anything.

It's not like they're killing Homer off or anything, it's a future episode. He's going to die eventually so why not make an episode of it? That'd be awesome if they could capture the emotion like they did in the first few seasons. By the way, I'm thinking a very old Homer dying of natural causes, not getting killed in a horrible way or anything.

But still it would be like... an episode about a main, principal, iconic character dying. Even if it is the future and Homer would be back next week and in all subsequent weeks (and I understood this from the start), it would be watching the death of such an important figure for twenty-two minutes.

It just seriously doesn't sit right with me and I can't even fathom where they'd gleam the humour from this situation.

It just seriously doesn't sit right with me and I can't even fathom where they'd gleam the humour from this situation.

"Oh my God! Someone killed dad!"
"That bastard!"

But no, seriously, I understand that this is a thread where we talk about another futuristic episode, that's all fine, but having Homer die, even in the future is weird and wrong. He has died in a couple THOH's but those are different, those are meant to be violent and have some death every now and then

By the way, I'm thinking a very old Homer dying of natural causes, not getting killed in a horrible way or anything.

With the writing staff, Homer will be killed off in some horrible way and the family will all be crying then three scenes later, they'll be having a funeral with strippers.

MARGE: (crying)
Homie would've wanted it this way.

I always thought two things that would make a neat idea for a flash forward is an episode from maggie's perspective (she doesn't even have to say anything, she's just the point of view), or flash forward to when all the kids moved out of the house and it's finally just homer and marge again after 25-30 years.

I'd love more of an emphasis on a secondary character too though, but what are the odds? All I know is they should avoid too many lolitsthefuture! jokes, and try to at least show some personality difference instead of making Bart a 30 year old version of his 10 year old self. That's part of what made Lisa's Wedding so fun.

I always thought two things that would make a neat idea for a flash forward is an episode from maggie's perspective (she doesn't even have to say anything, she's just the point of view).

The_End___is_the_start__pg_01_by_simpspin.jpg

They should make a future episode about Homer dying before the series ends.

I don't know if this was a serious suggestion or not, but this blew my mind. Normally when I read episode ideas, I just kinda gloss over it. But this one actually sounds like an interesting idea. Could an episode like this turn out to be disastrous? Absolutely, and I think Jake pointed out exactly why. But you've gotta admit...having a show's main character (I know it's an ensemble cast, but Homer's basically the star) die in an episode is at least an original idea. Has this show had a truly original idea in 10 years? The audience would know the whole time that Homer's not truly dying, so I don't think it would be that intense or anything.

Some of the comedy could involve...I don't know, how about the reaction at Moe's? You could have Barney and Moe giving awkward toasts to a fallen friend. Patty and Selma could be celebrating Homer's death, while at the same time consoling Marge. Skinner could awkwardly try to console the kids.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but this idea at least got me thinking. A future episode was already done pretty well with "Lisa's Wedding" and done poorly in "Bart to the Future." But Homer dying? Whoa, now that's an original idea. Potentially disastrous, but original anyways.

Do you really have to advertise your work in every second post?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to another flashforward episode, Homer dying sounds terrible, i think the already mentioned Homer and Marge without the kids in the house sounds good.

Future episodes have never done it for me really, I dont even enjoy Lisa's Wedding but Homer Alone's idea of a 22 Short Films esque future episode sounds intriguing

If we get a "psychic prediction episode" this year in order to keep with the pattern, I think it will predict "4 years from the present" in which Bart will be 14, Lisa will be 12, and Maggie will be 5.

Whether I want Maggie to talk in this one, I don't know which I would prefer.

Both Bart and Lisa will probably see the prediction.

Last edited:
Would be cool if they did a whole season of future episodes, use the future from "Lisa's Wedding''. I think this could result in very funny episodes, and it would be a nice change from the rest of the seasons.
Maybe make this into a movie, though.

I'd watch an episode about the future if Christopher Lloyd played Dr. Emitt Brown

doesn't matter what his role is, I just want him in there........

Back