2019 NHC Summer Music Showdown (VOTING THREAD: RESULTS)

nastyfacts

(honestly like a coin flip. neither were my favorites of this thing, but both are fine)

i was thinking about this and kind of the randomness of the matchups and wanted to throw out there a different system for next time. keep the rounds essentially the same as they currently are, only instead of assigning 1-on-1 matchups, just have people pick half of them to advance. so in round one for instance, you'd still get a list of 16 songs, but you'd just pick whichever 8 you want to advance. that way we'd avoid the inevitable "my two favorite songs of this round are matched up against each other" and songs advancing deep simply because they lucked into easy matchups (i'm not suggesting this was the case for either of these final songs, btw)

the downside of course would be that it would make it a little harder to vote, because you'd have to consider the songs as an entire group instead of simply picking between 2, but i dunno. just a thought

i was thinking about this and kind of the randomness of the matchups and wanted to throw out there a different system for next time. keep the rounds essentially the same as they currently are, only instead of assigning 1-on-1 matchups, just have people pick half of them to advance. so in round one for instance, you'd still get a list of 16 songs, but you'd just pick whichever 8 you want to advance. that way we'd avoid the inevitable "my two favorite songs of this round are matched up against each other" and songs advancing deep simply because they lucked into easy matchups (i'm not suggesting this was the case for either of these final songs, btw)

the downside of course would be that it would make it a little harder to vote, because you'd have to consider the songs as an entire group instead of simply picking between 2, but i dunno. just a thought

I'm not sure this would entirely work. I definitely think that it would make it harder for folks to vote since I'm not sure everyone would be willing/able to just say one half is better than the other half without direct comparisons. I also think it would make it harder for folks to narrow it down if they had ten favourites instead of eight.

On a more personal issue, this sounds like an absolute nightmare to tally the votes for (compared to our current method). It would involve much closer inspection of the votes, plus it wouldn't necessarily be in any order for each post to look similar enough for tallying to be straightforward. And if there were any ties, tiebreakers would still have to be one v one from a person who hadn't voted yet.

I do appreciate the thought, because it would be nice to have a way that may be more reflective of which songs people actually prefer, but I definitely think this sounds more complicated for participants and organisers alike.

my suggestion to reduce randomness was to have the submitter seed their own songs to avoid round 1 having all those "I like both/neither" matchups, but that would require everyone to gauge which of their tracks is most likely to go far which is obviously gonna be very imperfect and maybe not worth the effort

Last edited:
I've been asked to take care of the mentions. [MENTION=13089]jim[/MENTION], [MENTION=61725]Tromboon[/MENTION], [MENTION=70321]scully apologist[/MENTION], [MENTION=45949]The Spruce Moose[/MENTION], [MENTION=69013]bias[/MENTION], [MENTION=53986]OldSchoolerSimpsons[/MENTION] and [MENTION=73806]Exordium[/MENTION]

Round ends at 9pm EST

The final round is over! Our runner up, with six votes, is ROMderful ft. Jay Prince - Catch Me?, submitted by [MENTION=62459]pilcrow[/MENTION]

Which means our winner for the 2019 Summer Showdown, with 7 votes, is...

Nastyfacts - Get to You, submitted by [MENTION=32807]Nwordpassforsale[/MENTION]

On a more personal issue, this sounds like an absolute nightmare to tally the votes for (compared to our current method). It would involve much closer inspection of the votes, plus it wouldn't necessarily be in any order for each post to look similar enough for tallying to be straightforward. And if there were any ties, tiebreakers would still have to be one v one from a person who hadn't voted yet.

wanted to wait until voting was over so as not to clog the thread, and it's probably moot anyway because the voting method is likely too complicated for people's liking, but i honestly don't think it would be harder to tally. if anything it would be easier because you only have to straight count votes and then put them in order by total (as opposed to keeping track of 8 disparate vote tallies or counting 8 separate times). hell we could even mandate a style of recording votes (like band name or song name) and then one could simply copy and paste each list into excel and have them automatically alphabetize and essentially do all the work for you (this would also be less prone to vote counting error). as for the ties, they'd only even matter if they were at the 8/9 spot, which means you'd less often have to even ask for tiebreakers

Back