Why do people wear their shoes when indoors?

Too lazy to take them off? Shoes were never allowed in the house when I was a kid and I kinda stuck with that (we had both carpet and hard floor). I'm barefoot most of the time at home.

Sometimes I just forget to take em off, but I usually take em off once I'm in my room.

I had no idea that wearing shoes indoors was some sort of American thing, like 90% of people I know always have there shoes off in there home.

so my socks don't get dirty and since they will collect and track more dirt and dust than my shoes will

Last edited:
Because your floors are fuck-all dirty, Luke! Every time I go barefoot in your domicile, I end up with cheeto bits and peanut shells on the bottom of my feet so fuck that, shoes were made for a reason and that's to protect my feet from your haphazard living conditions. Sweep your floor and I'll go without shoes, shit.

I'm usually completely barefoot. I don't wear socks either unless it's freezing in which case my feet will turn kinda purple.

clean your fucking house

:confused: it is. I'm not living in a trash heap. Being in and out of the garage, basement, and backyard is alot less tedious if I don't have to keep putting my shoes on in order to do so.

I never knew wearing shoes indoors (vs house slippers) was a thing until meeting people from the mainland. I thought wearing actual shoes indoors was just something they do on TV for actors' ease.

In our old house, the floor wasn't particularly clean because of our tons of dogs (who were only paper-trained but old dogs miss the paper.) and the condition of the home itself. We wore slippers (people elsewhere call them flip flops) but also had no carpet anywhere, just linoleum. First time I visited my husband at his home (before we moved in together) I was totally confused as to how people there could walk in and out of the house with shoes still on and not worry about the carpet getting fucked up, though the carpet was fine and they didn't do it all the time.

In any other place, shoes coming off was a given and it's basically rude to keep them on. I might wear fuzzy house slippers in the new house but it's just to prevent plantar fasciitis from coming back.

I didn't know it was an American thing and I've lived there all my life. I take off my shoes as soon as I get home.

I hate wearing shoes inside, it's my chance to be as comfy as possible. Plus I don't want to dirty up the floors. Also, some sort of comment about wearing heels in the bedroom.

and I do take my shoes off around my house, I just don't see why it's sounds so foreign to keep them on indoors. they're comfortable and when they're not comfortable, I kick them off. it all depends on what I'm doing.

Back