NEW ERA

Status
Not open for further replies.
One question:

What if The Simpsons suddenly has another surge of popularity (like it did about three years ago)?

Wouldn't that pretty much take another movie coming out? Or maybe the finale I guess, but that would be a pretty temporary thing, assuming anyone even still cares by that point anyway (I won't).

Eric and the NHC team have to think long term, and not about such hypotheticals.

What Springfield Downs doesn't count for posts?????

In all seriousness good job on the updates. One thing though why is The Futurama section not just combined into the General Animation forum? Is it too large?

and I think it has more fans than this board represents,

well, fans outside of the forum don't control the activity of the forum. you've been here for three years, haven't you seen the activity decline? the simpsons section is deserted compared to 2005.

In my mind, this "new era" is not as good as you are always implying. Yes, "The Simpsons sucks nowadays", "they are not that popular anymore" -I can agree, and heck, have left most of my Simpsons fandom from when I came here. But there is still the psychological factor, when NHC is named I can't yet exclude the fact that I registered here for posting about this series and most of my postcount is still today focused on that topic.

So, does that mean that I am against this move? No. Eric knows how to handle this board, and I understand his reasons and that doing this change today is not going to affect the dynamics of the board (and must show my absolute support to the new pop culture forums (specially cinema and animation -my new loves)), but this is still going to be hard only for the idea I've had all my boardlife about this site.

Guess I'll need to open a little more to OT's world.

good move. and like other people have said, if it weren't for the movie then the simpsons section would have died years before it did. the scale on which discussion dropped about a month after the release of the movie was outstanding

but i still think it makes more sense for animation to be represented in film and tv. not only is it an unnecessary distinction, but it also directly affects the quality of discussion. our best A/V regulars are much less likely to wander into a new pixar or miyazaki thread whe it's overwhelmed with bob goes to the mayor R/R threads.

we will make exceptions and allow certain popular topics to be discussed in both the animation section and the tube or film forums. just ask a moderator first and he or she will let the rest of us know.

also in the future, if animation discussion is much weaker than it is now, we would move it back into the a/v forums. there's simply too much interest in discussing it at the moment to keep everything together.

I applaud your dedication to the board, eric.

there is no better time to do this now, and you acted on it.

the board still has a great collective base and should remain viable for some time.

everything seems to be running smoother here and the navigation is better... well done!

Well, this is gonna get a while to get used too, but still, nice job. I guess the majority of boarders appreciate this move, and I can't really criticize it, but I guess it's sill pretty cool.

thanks guys :) ROARKE was the one who bought our new, soon-to-be-used servers though and should be thanked as well!

thanks guys :) ROARKE was the one who bought our new, soon-to-be-used servers though and should be thanked as well!

tumblr_l6urn8xry51qc99l1o1_400.gif

Frankly, I don't know if I can continue paying my $14.99/month subscription fee to Whisman if this board isn't about the Simpsons.

Awesome news. I'm glad the NHC has no plans of going anywhere and this will be a good long overdue transition.

With this new dark theme I'm using, I'd have to say the board has never been better.

yaaay this is so exciting! now the lie i've been telling people is actually true!
if only everything in life worked like this...

thanks yall!! and thanks for all the hard work and genuine awesomeness. rock on

I don't think that The Simpsons is losing popularity, actually, and I think it has more fans than this board represents, but I'm okay with making it less of a focus because it's still there and we can still talk about it.

The declining viewing figures for the show clearly contradict your point, you could argue that more people are watching on the internet now, and that might account for some of it, but then if that's the case, why aren't those people coming here?

but i still think it makes more sense for animation to be represented in film and tv. not only is it an unnecessary distinction, but it also directly affects the quality of discussion. our best A/V regulars are much less likely to wander into a new pixar or miyazaki thread whe it's overwhelmed with bob goes to the mayor R/R threads.

I kind of agree but the problem is, it means discussion of animation has to be restricted a bit, It'd be good to have separate sub-categories for animation, so there's the Disney & Pixar section, The Adult Swim section etc but then it's difficult to know how far to take those categories and I just can't imagine they'd attract enough attention.

Last edited:
One question:

What if The Simpsons suddenly has another surge of popularity (like it did about three years ago)?

For this to happen, we're pretty much talking about the series finale or another movie (maybe both in short succession)... so while traffic would increase in the Simpsons sections (and I'm sure many primarily OT boarders would go to those forums to comment), it would be a temporary injection and the board as a whole shouldn't bank on something like that.

My first reaction to this was kind of sadness but I've completely come round to this as the day has gone on. All the sections are still here and I'd started to avoid the Simpsons section anyway. So this was probably a good move. I do have a suggestion though, the Simpsons section is really cluttered so would it not be possible to reduce the different sub forums which make it up abit? Like maybe merge GD, ED and Androids and then merge Downs and University and leave fanfic as it is. Just be easier for me to navigate and stuff. Still, I think I like this alot.

Like maybe merge GD, ED and Androids and then merge Downs and University and leave fanfic as it is. Just be easier for me to navigate and stuff. Still, I think I like this alot.

springfield university & downs could potentially be merged into the general forum in the near future. i didn't want to make too many changes all at once in order to keep regular simpsons forum members from going into shock.

I like it how the board looks now after this new update; great to see that there's a general animation board now and while it feels wierd that the Simpsons section has taken a few steps down, it doesn't bother me too much.

Like maybe merge GD, ED and Androids and then merge Downs and University and leave fanfic as it is. Just be easier for me to navigate and stuff.

To merge Downs and University would probably be a good idea, but to merge GD, ED and Androids would be a poor choice IMO; it would get too cluttered that way.

Yeah, I know I said I'm done here, and I am. I only come here to review new episodes. But I was bored, and came here. And I am horrified. EVERY SINGLE THING I used to like about this site has been torn apart, ripped to shreds, and shot. The change to the board and adding of the ability to dislike posts was the last straw. So what do you call this? The "after-last" straw? Go ahead. Thumbs-down me. You just can't stand someone thinking unlike you, huh? You all just bow down to your mighty thecapecoddah. It sickens me. In fact, go ahead and ban me. I don't care anymore.

does this mean i'm not getting a christmas card from you this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back