Toy Story 3

BUZZ--BUZZ--BUZZ LIGHTYEAR TO THE RESCUE

• 5/5 To infinity and beyond...!

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • 4/5 You've got a friend in me.

Votes: 14 11.6%
  • 3/5 I've packed your angry eyes, just in case.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2/5 There's a snake in my boot...

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1/5 You are a sad, strange little movie.

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
best movie I've ever seen ever, give it the academy award for best picture.

5/5

I just looked at 'The Art of Toy Story 3' and discovered why Wheezy the Penguin was excluded:

Wheezy was the creation of animator Joe Ranft, who died in a car accident-he also provided Wheezy's voice.

Also: It seems that Randt was instrumental in the creation of Lotso-I believe that in respect to Randt, Wheezy was retired (or, the the movie, sold from a rummage sale) and Lotso took Wheezy's place (ironic, huh....Lotso was replaced by another Lotso, but Lotso replaced Wheezy!

Wheezy wasn't really that important anyway when compared to characters like Bo or R.C

It's not like Ranft's death was the sole reason for his absence though. Jim Varney died a while ago but they found (a rather good) replacenrnt for Slinky since he was a central character

I just looked at 'The Art of Toy Story 3' and discovered why Wheezy the Penguin was excluded:

Wheezy was the creation of animator Joe Ranft, who died in a car accident-he also provided Wheezy's voice.

Also: It seems that Randt was instrumental in the creation of Lotso-I believe that in respect to Randt, Wheezy was retired (or, the the movie, sold from a rummage sale) and Lotso took Wheezy's place (ironic, huh....Lotso was replaced by another Lotso, but Lotso replaced Wheezy!

The concept of Lotso's design and personality already existed since the makings of the first movie.
There just was no space in the story to include him then.

Saw it, liked it, a couple of tears snuck out. I'll try not to rehash what's already been pointed out in the thread and just make a few points I'm not sure have been mentioned or fully explored yet, which means this is mostly going to be nitpicking.

- Maybe I'm underestimating the darkness of movies I saw as a kid or how desensitized kids today are, but I would have serious qualms about taking a child under seven or eight to see this film. The incinerator, the monkey, the baby, and some of Lotso's stuff toward the end was pretty intense. I don't know how much of a difference it really would have made, but I think at least a PG rating was in order.

- You could sense the folks at Pixar straining to give every member of the old gang their moment in the sun, while still trying to establish a boatload of new characters. I think they did the best possible job under the circumstance. That said, I felt there was more to the toys in Bonnie's room than we got to see, though maybe that's a good thing, to indicate depth without having to explore every nook and cranny. Also, aside from Lotso and Ken, the toys at the daycare center felt pretty one-dimensional. Minor quibbles all around.

- In the same vein, I liked, or at least appreciated, the fact that Bo Peep, RC, and others were gone. It kept an already large cast from expanding even further, it was realistic, and more importantly, it helped establish the loss. Sure, they weren't major characters, but they were significant pieces of the puzzle, and their conspicuous absence helped set the tone right from the start.

From a studio known for making the best animated films this one is no different. An instant classic that succeeds in being as good or even better than the first two movies.

First off I have no idea why people would be worried about this movie being terrible. It's coming from Pixar! They do not make bad movies(There worst movie, Cars was still good even though it was a blatant marketing ploy) so I have no idea why this one would be any different. I guess people were just worried about people "screwing up" their beloved childhood series but in truth Pixar will not continue a series unless it has a really good idea anyway so to me there really was no worry.

Te animation was just spot on perfect! It was vivid and lifelike, with every single character, setting and background filled with tremendous attention to detail. It is simply mind blowing how realistic they can make these toys look through animation. They are all carefully crafted with precision and detail. Some moments that stuck out for quality animation were when Buzz is dancing in Spanish mode. The movements were so fluid you barely realized you were watching animation. It is clear who truly i the giant in the animation department and it is Pixar.

The voice acting was again just amazing. Avoiding actors who will just get people in the seats they get actors who actually can deliver their lines with character and emotion and it truly shows. Not that I am saying they didn't have some big names( they had Tom Hanks and Micheal Keaton for crying out loud) the only difference is these actors chosen are able to deliver there lines in a believable way that makes you believe them. The ensemble is just fantastic and truly shows what great acting can do, move you. You cannot really pick out a person who was wrong in his or her role, that's how great it was.

Animated movies for some odd reason are seen as movies for kids when in reality this could not be further from the truth. I believe like most other Pixar films this one was made for all ages. It had a lot of jokes that the kids would find funny but the jokes were done in a way that people no matter how old you are would find them funny. They did not stick to juvenile stuff but laced their kid jokes with subtle humour. This was also chalk full of references to old Pixar films(WALL-E and Monsters Inc. ) but also to other movie classics such as Star Wars Return of the Jedi and Jurassic Park. This is why Pixar films stand above the crowd, they do not limit themselves to lowbrow child humour but they do throw it in the mix every once in a while.

This installment was also darker than its previous counterparts. With themes dealing with subjects such as abandonment and loss it is no wonder. Most of the darker scenes do come from old memories of Lotso. These moments are not few and far between but constantly lay just beneath the surface of a lighter, fluffier film. It manages to portray these themes in way that is not significantly cheesy or anything like that. In fact you always feel for the characters even the ones that are supposed to be the "bad guys". That's what good writing does. Other animated films take note, hell regular films take note, this is how you can portray deep emotion in movie that is still madly funny.

I cannot finish my review without mentioning the little intro animation Night & Day. This little intro was not my favorite but it still was pretty cool. The animation was great and it was a nice little intro to a magnificent movie.

As a lover of the first two installments I had high hopes for this movie and it sure did live up to those high expectations. I even let this review stew in my brain a while so it would not be clouded by over-hyped nostalgia but it truly was just a standout film. The story telling and the animation were just spot on and I couldn't have asked for a better third to one of my favorite trilogies.
87/100 A

Kelly and I saw this last night. We both enjoyed it. I was bracing myself for the supposed emotional impact of the film. And, while a lot of scenes were touching, it didn't really hit me like "Up" for example. Jessie's story/song made far more of an impact on me in Toy Story 2 upon first viewing.

All and all I thought it was incredibly entertaining and fun throughout. I was surprised at how scary some of the scenes were. That baby! And holy shit that monkey!

Much applause in the theater when the movie ended.

came out here yesterday and I saw it. great film. I think this might very well be the only time in cinema history that  I genuinely thought they were going to kill off all the main characters in a blockbuster movie. every other time something like that happened in films, I knew they were going to get out of it because that's just what happens. but here, I just didn't think so.  I was also surprised that it wasn't emotional on the level of up but the ending couldn't have been better so I'm not complaining. eleven out of eleven for pixar.

What a great movie. My favourite animated movie of all time! 5/5 100/100 A+. This movie was way better then I expected. I absolutely loved the heart felt ending, with andy playing with the toys for one last time. I will right a full review later.

i saw it on a stream a couple days ago and even though all the writing was in russian the words were in english (don't understand why?) ... anyhow it nearly killed me when they all resigned to die. and no, it wasn't up level... but i think it's because it was toys vs toys and not like... toys vs people/people vs people... but i don't know, you sympathize with them either way.

I wanted to love this film so much, the original defined my childhood, the sequel enhanced it.

But I sat in a cinema yesterday and what I got felt cheap, lazy, stupid, and borderline direct-to-DVD quality.
I'm still shocked that this passes not only Pixar's standards but everyone elses.
2/5

Now that I'm stuck on Okinawa for a short while, I thought about getting a ride down to Chatan village to see Toy Story 3 in Japanese,.. But it cost $22!!
Too much! ...I opted to see the Hayao Miyazaki film Karigurashi no Arrietty instead ($16)

I wanted to love this film so much, the original defined my childhood, the sequel enhanced it.

But I sat in a cinema yesterday and what I got felt cheap, lazy, stupid, and borderline direct-to-DVD quality.
I'm still shocked that this passes not only Pixar's standards but everyone elses.
2/5

Even if you weren't crazy about the writing, the amazing animation alone should knock off that "cheap and lazy" shit

Even if you weren't crazy about the writing, the amazing animation alone should knock off that "cheap and lazy" shit

I'm afraid that the animation is as expected from Pixar, and unless it was appalling, I never give the animation any extra to the rating, because whilst it's nice to look at, and Day & Night was the perfect microcosm of this, if there's no real engaging story, or the characters are too bland, or it doesn't know exactly what tone it's aiming for, well, it doesn't amount to anything but a nice looking film.

What I felt it was lacking? A good story.
The plot is so painfully generic you could switch setting, characters and keep the dialogue and it'd feel fine in a sci fi film, or a war movie, it just didn't have the Toy Story feeling. The opening gave the closest to the sense of feeling like part of the toy world, the sensational perspective and sizes that are so normal to humans in the toys' eyes.

Never did I feel like it was a Toy Story film, hell, the characters just felt like they were there to say lines, walk over to the next scene in the generically dull premise and say more lines, never in their character, just fitting into the plot with ease.

And the chemistry between Woody and Buzz, which was so wonderful and felt REAL, well, it was as real as unobtanium (The Cameron kind, not the Scientist comical naming kind)
But I sat in the cinema wanting to like it, I tried, I tried harder than I have for any other film, then when it was over I was working out what they failed to do in 11 years that they succeeded in 2 with TS2.

And the first two Toy Story films had good toy related stories, this had a redundant story that they forced toy related ideas into.

The first two worked, I wanted this to work too, I've been so positive for the film for years.
But I just couldn't get into it.

I'm just glad it's a very isolated incident, because seeing so many people loving the film is wonderful.

I just envy that feeling you all got.

Having just seen 1 and 2, I don't really think the story for 3 was any worse than the previous movies. In fact I think 3 stands up better to 2, since it actually deals with issues only touched upon in the sequel.

Back